Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astral-Doomer

Megawad first level gateway

After this post you might want to rethink the 'secret' designation. :P

Stuff your post is missing: screenshots, and what port your wad was designed for and tested in.

Also the next thing you upload (or even this), you might want to look into a filesharing site other than Mediafire, such as Dropbox. Mediafire has been weird for a while, redirecting people to all sorts of spammy ads even if they are running an adblocker plugin, so it's no longer a good site to use. 

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Also the next thing you upload (or even this), you might want to look into a filesharing site other than Mediafire, such as Dropbox. Mediafire has been weird for a while, redirecting people to all sorts of spammy ads even if they are running an adblocker plugin, so it's no longer a good site to use. 

I thought that spammy mediafire advertisment malware thing happens only for me. I was wrong. 

I'm going to play that map after I'll get some proper sleep and later I'll write map review here.

There is a way to get around the ad spam and it's really easy - just right click the download and save target as.

I played it on ultra-voilence in ZDoom, and here's my attempt at constructive criticism (sorry if I am too harsh here, I am not good at this yet lol):

Difficulty balance needs to be looked at here. You start the player in the middle of a yard with many hitscanners that begin plinking away the player's health. I went down to about 20% health here. The rest of the map consists of several rooms, some are completely empty of enemies, and the others seem to have them dotted around at random. I think the weakest aspect of this map is the gameplay, specifically the monster placement. Normally I would recommend putting an arch-vile in the tree room as it has lots of opportunities to break line of sight, but a) this is the first map of a set, and b) the player could just run into the exit anyway.

Am I correct in thinking that a secret is required to open a door necessary to exit the level? I was running around for a few minutes before I noticed on the automap that one of the walls was actually a blue door, and only then was I able to progress. Also, several of your triggers are one-time only (most notably the lift in one of the crate rooms). One secret area involves three switches that lower some goodies, but remember that, much like in MAP01 of Doom II, we can hit a switch even if it's lowered fully into the ground.

The aesthetics are the map's strongest point in my opinion, but still need a lot of work. I liked the slime walls in the crate rooms, but one of them was missing a railing texture. I noticed some doors don't have lower unpegged walls. The sector trees in the final area are cute, I like em, and you've made good use of FIREBLU in there too, something every map needs.

The good:

• Length for a first map is spot on.
  • Lots of secrets to find.
  • Mix of indoor and outdoor areas.

The not-so-good:

• Random and unbalanced enemy placement.
  • Several minor aesthetics issues.
  • Necessary secret required to exit.

If you play some of the popular WADs at the moment (or even the base games), you can analyze how the monsters are used in each area to present different challenges - I think Doom II showcases this best. Consider using height variation to mix it up too. Despite everything I said, I still enjoyed playing your map, and most importantly, have fun and don't let me discourage you from mappin' :)

Spoiler

W7yGR3C.png

The first area, perhaps provide some more health and cover for the player, or switch some of the hitscanners for imps. Try aligning your green marble bricks too (but good luck, I hate aligning that fuckin texture).

hCa3u4c.png

The final area. Try working on your enemy choice and placement, it felt very random throughout the whole map.

You need align textures,easy way to do this is press shift+a and a on textures. Inside doors sector,you need lower unppeg setting(press L for it). Secret with crusher need texture. Put torches or traditional required key colour line near locked doors,so player will navigate easier. Also,make doors smaller or bigger to match edges of them. 
I assumed that map is for zdoom,because prboom+ crashes instantly with message when you start map. 

Thanks for all the posts. I appreciate it. I'll put some work into the map & correct some of the mistakes that I made on the map. That's about it, have a wonderful day all! :-D

I made this video(it's unlisted). So, I should write something here. 

When I talked about door texture edges,I meant that they should 64/128/256 wide. Also,I always draw one more sector in middle where should doors be(for example,I draw square 64x32 and door gets 64x16),so I can control everything easier. 
Area between lift and doors must be larger and wider. 
Some places still needs lower unppeg settings. 
Monster still placed randomly.

I'll be that person,but you must still work before you do something bigger. Replay good maps,see what makes them good and replayable. Don't make megawad yet. 

PrtScr / SysRq button, it will automatically save to your GZDoom directory.

I think you need collab with someone and they would help you fix main issues with mapping. I played your wad, but I see you need help, you got better a bit ,but not that much. 

I really cannot suggest much to you other than to watch mapping tutorials, look at popular WADs released and practice to get better. I'm not gonna lie, these maps are really not that good at all. I've seen worse, but they're pretty bad. Just.... keep at it, constantly learn and eventually you'll get better. There's no secret trick.

EDIT: Also, agreed with Haruko. Don't make a megawad as your first project. It's too big an undertaking.