Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spishak Cola

When/where did you...

Hello-allo...

..When/where did you first find out about Doom? (this can be for Doom or DoomII)

I myself found out about it about 6 years ago from a friend that had Doom and invited me over to watch him play, and play myself.

Ultraviolet said:

Er... you BOUGHT, you say? Heh.

Well, ya but I just had to end it with "buyed" it just went with the other two, imo. :P

hmmm 1993, sombody told me about a game that was better then Wolfenstein... and low and behold, he was right! (but I didn't touch it for quite a while).

end of 93 from memory. my parents bought a computer. it was the first time i had ever used a computer. the computer salesman they bought it off was a friend, so he put on a couple of games, ie; wolf3d & doom.
but my parents thought it was too violent and told him to uninstall doom. but to actually run doom on the computer you had to press & hold shift on start-up. and coz my family was computer incompetent the salesman just left it on there thinking we would never know. anyway long story short:
taught myself to use DOS (still my preferred operating system)
found doom on drive c:
asked friends at school why it wouldn't load & bang couple days later i was hooked on doom.

The first time I remember seeing Doom was at a cub scouts meating many years ago. Some kid brought in a 286 that had Win 3.1 and Doom on it. I told my dad that night, and he forbade be to play that game.

A few years later, a good friend of mine named Jessie (known on IRC as BlowBoy) Introduced me to Heretic, then Doom.

The day after it was released in stores, my uncle had it. I was mesmerized. I didn't want to go to the bathroom for fear of missing something. The white of his carpet and the sheer girth of the man convinced me otherwise.

DC

I've told it before......

in aboug '93 or '94, my family and I were at a computer show to have a look around. I happened to pass by a computer that a guy was playing Doom on. 'what the hell is that? it's beautiful! (in terms of graphics)' So I asked. the guy just said "It's Doom." I immediately knew what I had to do. get doom, and get it now. Later in the show, we were allowed to get a few shareware diskettes. First pick: Doom. Second Pick: Blake Stone and the aliens of Gold. My mom had suggested (keep in mind, SUGGESTED) that I ditch one of those violent games for something more creative, which I did. Ever try PC BLOX? it's kinda neato. anyway, guess which one I ditched?

My crazy uncle introduced Doom to me when I was about 11 years or so.

It was "love at first sight" so to say.

Ct_red_pants said:

hmmm 1993, sombody told me about a game that was better then Wolfenstein... and low and behold, he was right! (but I didn't touch it for quite a while).

Pretty much similar to my story.
I was a death-incarnate Wolfenstein 3d fan AND veteran, was enjoying the crap out of Wolfie and then my older brother came and told me about this game where you fought monsters, could pick up armour, wield shotguns (at first the name "shotgun" didn't mean much to me because I only knew 'em as "pumpguns" back then) and move up and down stairs - the game, he told me, was called DOOM. I was like "Does it have a minigun in it???" And I was delighted to hear that yup it had one and then I asked "Does it have a face in the status bar" and yup, it had.
Then I visited him, he showed it to me (rather, he let me play it) and it blew me away.

That was in April 1994.

I played the shareware version in late '94 then found out later that you could edit the game. That's when I picked up a full version of Doom I. I bought Doom II soon after.

I got my friend involved with Doom and in turn he got me involved in Quake when it came out.

Read the review in PC Format after reading the hype. Sent a postal order off to a mail-order game retail company so i'd get it on the release date.
The bastards robbed my 30 quid. The fuckers.
Anyway, i went out a few days after release and bought it.

The End.

what is this "doom" game you speak of? :P

really, 1994. shareware disc given to me by a fellow diehard wolfenstien fan. got hooked. got registered version, got doom II, lost registered version. got ultimate doom. lent doom II to friend who moved away and never gave it back. got doom II for win95(ugh).

/hears sound of crickets from boring story and walks away.

First, I downloaded the Doom Shareware back in 5th grade.

In 7th grade, I found a copy of Doom2 in Walmart, so I bought it.

Last year, somewhere around November, I found the Doom Collector's Edition and bought that.

So now I have all of the Doom games, 'cept for Doom3 but when it comes out, I won't be able to play on my computer because it's a stupid piece of crap! >:(

*Pasted from that other thread* I think this was in 93...

The first time I saw it was at an older kids house. I would go there and watch him play his games on his computer and one day he said, "Hey I got a new game on my computer, it's the best ever!" So I rushed into his basement with him. He was kind of an asshole so as soon as we got to the basement he told me how damn scary it was, describing the demons, blood and sceaming when they die (I was about 5, btw). I now didn't want to look at this game, I tried to get him back upstairs so we could play cops and robbers or something, but he said "Hell no" and locked me in the room with him. I hid behind a coach, watching him play from a safe distance. He really didn't do anything, except chainsaw barrels and kill himself. I went to his house less and less frequently over the years, the last time I went there, Doom II had just came out and he showed me that, I wasn't really as scared of it as much, so I pulled up a chair and watched next to him. That's all I got to say about that...