Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albertoni

Precise Pentagrams and more, a mini geometry primer

Well that solves that problem before it even began. Once I get to the hell levels I plan to make this will be extremely useful. Thank you!

Sorry for my pictures being unnecessarily big, I already took them that way and downscaling in a graphic editor would make the numbers unreadable.

About triangles: Firstly, you say to make a curve with 5 vertices, but 2 would be sufficient:

g4lcjL5.png u67sExH.png

Secondly, here is an alternative method. For the third step, you need to disable snapping to grid or (in Doom Builder 2 or GZDB) hold shift while drawing.

R9Kd6c5.png lyG9LAf.png

O9tHcy1.png

1g8mC9Y.png

10 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Why exactly 4 vertices? And why 5 gives us a hexagram, and 6 an heptagram? Must it be one less than the number of points we want? - There might be a relation on it being always points - 1 but I can't say yes or no, and I'm too lazy to do the math. Triangles and squares are obvious exceptions as you can see a triangle requires 5, but it might stabilize later.

The key is that when you insert X vertices, you'll get X+2 vertices in total. Then when you do the other side, you end up with 2X+2, or 2(X+1) if you prefer.

Which means that you'll always get an even number of vertices, so if you want an odd number of points, you'll have to double it and skip half of them (as seen for the pentagram and heptagram). However, if you do want an even number of points, then you don't need to skip. For your David's Star, for example, you could draw it with 2 vertices (because 2*2+2=6) instead of 5 with skipping (5*2+2=12).

Also I'll point out again that SLADE has a draw shape feature.

gz25jRo.png

@scifista42 Thanks, your method is definitely simpler as long as making the 90° angle is easy. I'll update my post to mention your method.

@Gez Yeah, you're right. I never used Slade's map editor, but that feature seems interesting.

@Negrostrike Go lick your grandma's cross, dude

Or alternatively just use GZDB's "Draw Ellipse" mode to draw a five sided polygon, and draw in the pentagram.

wTU30qd.png

Took about 10 seconds!

1 hour ago, Negrostrike said:

Pentagrams are Satanist symbolism and as a Christian this bothers me very much please stop.

Satan is Christian symbolism and as a pentagram this bothers me very much please stop.

22 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Or alternatively just use GZDB's "Draw Ellipse" mode to draw a five sided polygon, and draw in the pentagram.

Yep, you can't draw it at an angle, but your method is certainly simpler than mine.

Just now, Albertoni said:

Yep, you can't draw it at an angle, but your method is certainly simpler than mine.

Sure you can.  Just pick any angle from the "Angle" selector. 

This is a 45 degree example.

c42Q70E.png

Or just select it, hit "E" and rotate it to your hearts content!

Granted this is only GZDB though, for DB2 your method is definitely necessary!

5 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Sure you can.

Ohhhh, guess I gotta check out in depth the less used features of GZDB then.

12 hours ago, Negrostrike said:

Pentagrams are Satanist symbolism and as a Christian this bothers me very much please stop.

Boy are you playing the wrong game, bucko.

Pentagrams are Pythagoreanism symbolism. As a Neopythagoreanist this delights me, and I bid you good health.

Thanks for this thread Albertoni. Even though Bauul schooled you with an easier way, mad props for initiating the discussion. Multiple methods for achieving the same thing is always helpful.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:11 PM, Negrostrike said:

Demonic symbolism is pretty par for the course considering what game we're playing. Doom is all about killing demons from Hell.

Setting the Ellipse tool in the GZDoom Builder to 10 sides manually also provides a nice guide for pentagrams, and one that gave me an even nicer one than the first method. Now all I need to do is find out how to put this pentagram in a circle so that I can use the thing for a "summoning battle" in one of the maps that I'm working on.