Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Future of Transport

I recently became aware of Elon Musk's vision to create tunnels under LA to alleviate traffic in that city.

I have had an idea for awhile for a train that doesn't have to stop at every station, but instead as it approaches the station the car at the back detaches and takes a saparate rail that goes into the station. It then leaves the station and gets up to speed in order to attach to the next train that comes by, so that if you are on a train line from say Boston to Philadelphia, you get on in Boston and you get off in Philadelphia, even though people would be getting on and off many times along the way. But I guess these detachable rails might require too much space.

Okay.... but why ? So people can save gas ? How does the goverment benefits from it if people don't have to buy gas ? Or would you pay for a ride ? Installing something like this would be hella expensive, so to pay it all off rides would cost a lot so very few people would use them... non profitable.

Anyway, I am not looking forward to self driving cars, I think it would be a huge restricment of one's freedom, your car will not allow you to go into some places and what if someone hacks your car while you drive, or better yet, what if the goverment just eliminates you and calls it an accident ? Also electric cars just seem effeminate to me for some reason

That video is complete bullshit, Musk is not serious at all about it. It's completely unfeasible from the economic, logistic or geological point of view for any larger city, much less Los Angeles. It's just a cute sci-fi promo to dangle in front of millenials, because they wouldn't get hyped enough about the real product, the boring machines with replaceable cutting heads. That's where Musk wants to make big money, current tunnel boring machines are super-expensive and built on demand.

18 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

Anyway, I am not looking forward to self driving cars, I think it would be a huge restricment of one's freedom, your car will not allow you to go into some places and what if someone hacks your car while you drive, or better yet, what if the goverment just eliminates you and calls it an accident ?

This is also where Musk will rake in a lot of dough, obviously. Dictators of all police states (like America) will make all people buy Teslas and then slam the critics into walls. Perfect!

20 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

Also electric cars just seem effeminate to me for some reason

I have no idea what this bullshit is, but I'm sure Musk will make a lot of money out of it!

Like the HyperLoop and the Electric Jet, this makes exactly zero sense.

1 hour ago, dew said:

That video is complete bullshit, Musk is not serious at all about it. It's completely unfeasible from the economic, logistic or geological point of view for any larger city, much less Los Angeles. It's just a cute sci-fi promo to dangle in front of millenials, because they wouldn't get hyped enough about the real product, the boring machines with replaceable cutting heads. That's where Musk wants to make big money, current tunnel boring machines are super-expensive and built on demand. 

Source?

8 hours ago, dew said:

That's where Musk wants to make big money, current tunnel boring machines are super-expensive and built on demand.

This is also where Musk will rake in a lot of dough, obviously. Dictators of all police states (like America) will make all people buy Teslas and then slam the critics into walls. Perfect!

I have no idea what this bullshit is, but I'm sure Musk will make a lot of money out of it!

I mean, Musk could always just not pay his workers if all he really wanted to make money, dew.