Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellwarlord

Lost Chapter 1 (Welcome to Hell)

This is one of my best projects yet, Welcome to Hell is based in a UAC base but things have gone wrong and a war has broken out between the humans and the monsters.

your job is to protect the innocent and save mankind from being extinct.

it contains 5 action packed levels

I used GZDoom builder UDMF/Doom ACS i also used slade.

Credit to Tormentor667 for the custom monster

Lost Chapter 1 (Welcome to Hell).zip

Bug fixed

5914c5c02f56a_2017-05-11(17).png.5a0f61d0db8bd152122b1e3919569e5f.png5914c5b813ea8_2017-05-11(1).png.c10660a64129ef32b55fdb903c2b0cc2.png5914c5a1b1818_2017-05-10(5).png.a42fbeb2b10f715976cf8a4d2d490379.png

Edited by Hellwarlord

You might want to post some screenshots, even a video would a good idea, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

You might want to post some screenshots, even a video would a good idea, IMO.

I will put some on once ive finished it, thanks for the advice

Edited by Hellwarlord

1 hour ago, Hellwarlord said:

I will put some on once ive finished it, thanks for the advice

You misunderstand. a lot of people want to see pictures BEFORE they download it, no matter what state it's in. otherwise people could be thrown into a terrywad or something.

18 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

You misunderstand. a lot of people want to see pictures BEFORE they download it, no matter what state it's in. otherwise people could be thrown into a terrywad or something.

well its not a terry wad for sure

I can confirm it's not a terry wad :)

Five maps, all very short and concise. Aside from your custom monster, there's nothing more dangerous than hell knights here. Very little health, but also very little challenge. Although a lack of difficulty is appropriate for your first couple of maps, I would still consider upping it a little to prevent the player from steamrolling through the whole thing in 10 minutes. I am fine with weapon balance, there was always just enough ammo to kill everything - good job on that.

The maps are very, very flat - try working with some height variation (stairs, lifts, ledges overlooking other parts). Aesthetically, most of your rooms are fine (I was impressed by MAP03 the most), but some of them need improvement (the crate walls in MAP04 get a little out of hand). I didn't notice any bugs, but the default Doom II intermission text could have easily been replaced with MAPINFO. If this is going to be several episodes, consider adding an episode selection menu too (I believe this is also done through MAPINFO but I haven't made one in a decade so don't quote me on that).

Spoiler about the final map:

Spoiler

The new monster felt a bit underwhelming for a boss - it doesn't really do much. It can be defeated with simple circle strafing and nothing more. I would suggest putting two in the room and seeing if that makes things more interesting for a boss encounter, then make any other tweaks to bump up its difficulty a little.

Also, while custom monsters are cool, please don't go overboard with them! There are few things that turn me away from a WAD more than custom monsters that are way overtuned compared to stock Doom II enemies.

Keep it up, hope to see some longer and more involved maps from you!

@Hellwarlord if you want to say something directly to someone without quoting them, do what I just did and type "@" and then the name of who you want to talk to, and click their name from the dropdown.

don't just quote them and then delete the quote but oh my goodness that's so frickin cute

18 minutes ago, Hellwarlord said:

@bonnie I only started yesterday give me a break

i'm sorry i just wanted to help ;~;

Not bad.

But I suggesting author add to maps more connections between areas, like windows, holes, doors, balconies, whatever. This makes level more interesting.

And more height variations also, stairs, lifts, e.t.c.

9 hours ago, Hellwarlord said:

@bonnie I only started yesterday give me a break

There's no need to be rude. GOtta pay attention to your attitude, especially if you want more people to test your maps. but from what i've seen, you've already gotten some pretty good feedback. keep it up.

I gave this a spin because I was curious about the custom monster. 

First off, it seems like you are assuming the player will always play continuous. Many people play from a pistol start, but that isn't feasible here because the boss map doesn't have any weapons. It couldn't hurt to add the single shotgun and chaingun. 

The boss is basically an ascended baron. It has a lot more HP, and a faster attack rate, and some variety in attacks, but all of those attacks come straight at you. So the fight is very easy, and two or three wouldn't be notably more dangerous (although of course it would be a lot more tedious with nothing stronger than the chaingun). Surreily mentioned circle-strafing as an easy strategy, but even that is unnecessary. I just stood still, for the most part, moving over slightly when it fired, moving away from it when it got close, and it was a harmless fight.  

Custom boss monsters work better with more sophisticated attack patterns. Some months back I played around with an Archon of Hell variant with a semi-random spread shot. You can read my posts in this thread for more info. But for the most part, you want to think about what sort of tactics the player should use to combat your boss, and make sure they are interesting. If a boss has a set of attacks, it's generally best to use them in ways that complement one another. For example, a custom boss with an archvile attack requires the player to periodically hide behind cover, so I might consider pairing it with a burst of revenant missiles or a similar homing attack, which can follow the player behind cover as s/he hides. That narrows the safe window of cover or forces the player to keep moving even while behind a pillar. Monsters that shoot large bursts of mancubus projectiles force the player to quickly gtfo, so that might be interesting paired with an area-denial attack of some sort (in the spirit of landmines, poison gas, etc.) that punishes panicked movements and gives the player an incentive to plan their 'mini-escapes' one step ahead.

If you do have to work with a 'simple boss' like this, however, you should use the environment to make the fights interesting. What you have here is a baron, as mentioned, so I'd look into using tighter spaces, with a more complex layout (that is, not a simple square arena), with other threats keeping the player occupied, maybe even some environmental obstacles such as damaging floor, platforming, or crushers. (It's a bit odd that the spike ball doesn't do splash damage or split up into tiny pieces upon contact with a wall -- anything notable beside being a fast straight-line attack -- but we can blame that on whoever made it.) 

Edited by rdwpa

Here,video as I promised. Sorry for crappy resolution,my recorder hates software mode(and open-gl mode). Video is unlisted,so nobody won't reach this without link.

I cheated,because ammo starvation wasn't good. 
That sector with blue keycard would be perfect crusher.
It would be great if switch,locked with blue keycard would have blue line or blue torches. 
I won't comment about flat level design,because this fixable,just play more good levels to find out what makes them good.
Anyway,work more,don't rush these levels way too much. Everything comes with time and patience. 

9 minutes ago, Hellwarlord said:

@MysteriousHaruko I would recommend not using cheats because it kind of ruins the fun of trying to survive and scavenge for ammo. 

If you include more ammo,people won't cheat. Simple. Or give chainsaw or berserk pack if you want create challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Hellwarlord said:

@MysteriousHaruko i suppose there wasnt much ammo so i guess ill change that in the future 

Also,try find person for private map testing,he'll poke into weakest points of your map and you would fix them. And later,after you fix everything,you could create new  map thread for everyone to test. This is just advice. 

14 minutes ago, Hellwarlord said:

@MysteriousHaruko i suppose there wasnt much ammo so i guess ill change that in the future 

One thing you can do, is as you build the map and test it yourself, ask yourself "If I was someone that didnt knoww this map, or played it differently than I did, would they be able to handle this section" You aren't a bad mapper, from that video I can see that you definitely have potential, just keep at it. No one that I know of has ever made an amazing, incredible, flawless map the first time they mapped.