Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

Are wall-portals on polyobjects possible?

Question

Am I right in thinking, due to the fact wall portals require space behind them (i.e. are two-sided linedefs), that attaching them to polyobjects in GZDoom isn't possible?

In the early portal demos the portals could be attached the polyobjects, so they could be rotated in game.   I was hoping to replicate the effect for a map, am I right in thinking the effect never made it into the final stable release?

Basically I was hoping to have a square pillar where each side was a wall-portal, and the whole thing rotated, but I'm thinking now that isn't possible.

Edited by Bauul

12 answers to this question

You can put a portal onto a rotating polyobject, but the effect is limited. It will work if the player moves into the portal, but not the other way around - if a polyportal hits a non-moving player it won't be registered as a portal teleport.

Polyportals should work on GZDoom, the "space behind" doesn't apply to them because polyobjects are a separate collision step.

In Eternity, yes. They can exist on any polyobject as normal as long as the polyobject doesn't rotate. You do not require space behind the portal.

Thanks!  My bad though, I meant specifically in GZDoom.  It's for the Confinement 256 community project, and that's the source port its targeting.

You could try making the portal activate by bumping into the line instead of crossing it.

52 minutes ago, Ichor said:

You could try making the portal activate by bumping into the line instead of crossing it.

Thanks - tried it but no luck.  I'm suspecting the "needs space behind it" is pretty hardcoded in.

Odd. That should have worked. How about using lines set out a bit from the actual wall and have that as the exit rather than the wall with the portal? When the polyobject rotates, the lines also change destinations to match it.

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

Portals don't have activation, they aren't teleport lines, they're portals. To put it another way, they're always active.

Just now, Gez said:

Portals don't have activation, they aren't teleport lines, they're portals. To put it another way, they're always active.

I guess I was thinking of the other kind of portals, the kind in Hexen that exits the map.

Try without rotation. I think the final version of the code didn't allow them to rotate, and they were always pretty wonky with normal movement as well.

57 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Try without rotation. I think the final version of the code didn't allow them to rotate, and they were always pretty wonky with normal movement as well.

Thanks, but it's the rotation I was specifically after.  The only reason I landed on polyobjects in the first place is because I was trying to find out how to make sectors rotate.  It's ok, I think I've found a different approach to achieve the same result.

Thanks everyone!

18 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

(please delete this quote block for me, I'm unable to do it myself from iPad - printz)

Side note: I'm not sure if GZDoom has it, but you can make the 'interior' of the polyobject have a different elevation than the exterior, without flat bleeding or HOM. The upper and lower textures of the polyobject's one sided lines will be drawn there.

Edited by printz : Changed after I realized I missed a keyword from the quoted message