Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

SlaughterMAX. Now on /idgames!

So this is basically Slaughterfest 2017 then? I'm working on a follow-up to my DMP2016 map that uses only Doom 2 textures so it might be a better fit here. 

It does seem pretty similar to Slaughterfest doesn't it! But I don't mean to take over or step on any toes. If Slaughterfest is Call of Duty, this is... Medal of Honor? :P I hope to still see SF4 one day.

setting a map in stone after a maxdemo has been recorded seems like a bad idea. what if the map was technically maxable, and someone recorded it, but it would've been immeasurably more fun with a few minor changes? (e.g. adding a soulsphere somewhere facilitates an aggressive strat where otherwise you are more or less forced to play conservatively, or something)

3 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

setting a map in stone after a maxdemo has been recorded seems like a bad idea. what if the map was technically maxable, and someone recorded it, but it would've been immeasurably more fun with a few minor changes? (e.g. adding a soulsphere somewhere facilitates an aggressive strat where otherwise you are more or less forced to play conservatively, or something)

I suppose it could be left up to the holder of the best time whether changes can be made. I just really want to avoid a situation where demos that had a lot of effort put into them are invalidated, or where demo recorders are pressured into giving up their demos because mappers want to make changes. It's less important to me that all the maps are fun and/or good. :P

But if a mapper didn't max their own map, I hope to see potential maxers suggesting changes to improve it before they do attempts.

i am interested in this purely for more experience mapping as i strongly dislike slaughtermaps

do i just randomly make a map and submit it here with no planning or reserving a spot just first come first served or what's the deal

also if you have 30 or more maps you could make the secret levels just be part of the normal progression by making map15 and 31 only have secret exit triggers rather than normal exit triggers unless you want them to be secret i don't frickin know man

2 hours ago, Demonologist said:

Why a "no new textures" rule, Benjogami?..

It was a tough decision. That's the point that I got the most feedback on, but I ended going with my first thought. :P It was either going to be no new textures, or a specific smallish texture pack, so that the maps would resemble eachother in some way. Ultimately, I want the project to be casual with a low barrier to entry and a focus on gameplay, and I felt a texture pack didn't really jive with those goals.

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

i am interested in this purely for more experience mapping as i strongly dislike slaughtermaps

do i just randomly make a map and submit it here with no planning or reserving a spot just first come first served or what's the deal

also if you have 30 or more maps you could make the secret levels just be part of the normal progression by making map15 and 31 only have secret exit triggers rather than normal exit triggers unless you want them to be secret i don't frickin know man

Yeah, no planning or reserving. The first 32 maps that meet the requirements will be in, if we're lucky enough to get that many maps.

If changing exits to secret exits doesn't desync demos, that might be a good way to do it!

just gonna leave this post to show a vague interest in this, although i dont wanna promise anything yet as doom 2 stock texturing makes me sad :(

6 hours ago, ArmouredBlood said:

oh boy, do I try and make something that looks good or go ToD?

Go tod plz

'going full tod'

-to make a map filled entirely with 100+ pointless secrets, revenants, archviles and 200 cyberdemons with only enough cells to 2-shot them all.

Hi Benjogami,

Dont be discouraged that this isn't taking off as quickly as you expected. I'm watching this thread pretty closely because your maps look great and I'm excited to see people try to keep up with you. I'd love to participate but I don't have a whole lot of time. I could try and fuck around in the editor to try and make something pretty hectic and if something cool happens ill schedule some hours to try and make it look pretty and post it here.

I've never really made a slaughter map before, but I think I might try something for this and see what I can come up with. Time to start drawing and listen too some death metal to set the mood lol.

Randomly dropping in with a suggestion: allow mappers to post beta versions of their maps for testing and explicitly state "no demos 'allowed' yet" or similar, so there's a window for folks to get feedback before locking it in place. That would ease the perfection burden greatly.

Yeah I'd just like to drop in and provide a little moral support, as I like the idea of this CP, but don't really have time to pledge to making a new map. Also, I'd just like to cast my unwavering vote for more people to do this:

On 5/7/2017 at 6:56 PM, Benjogami said:

Implement Easy difficulty such that it’s a fun or ridiculous reimagining of the map. It can be harder than Hard

++ do it up; remember that using this difficulty setting in this way also allows for ITYTD to be used to play through this super-special mode with damage divided by half, thus pleasing the true challenge-seekers (HNTR) and giving the "UV or bust" crowd an outlet (ITYTD) if they discover the super-secret hush-hush mode, though also we would have to hope that crowd is unobservant enough to not notice the notes about said difficulty setting on account of the fact that the same crowd often doesn't notice the *do not play/start on UV* notes some slaughter mappers leave for them.

Posting to register interest but a map probably won't get done until the deadline is a bit closer. Creating map23 for last year's DWMegaproject was fun for me and was done in a similar vein to the idea behind this project, so i'll look to expand on that map and have definitely learnt from some of the slaughter mapping 'mistakes' (eg frontloading the map) i made there.

Question, are we limited to D2 textures or can i use stuff from Plutonia etc?

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Question, are we limited to D2 textures or can i use stuff from Plutonia etc?

Limited to D2 textures. Sorry!

On 5/8/2017 at 2:55 PM, Benjogami said:

It was a tough decision. That's the point that I got the most feedback on, but I ended going with my first thought. :P It was either going to be no new textures, or a specific smallish texture pack, so that the maps would resemble eachother in some way. Ultimately, I want the project to be casual with a low barrier to entry and a focus on gameplay, and I felt a texture pack didn't really jive with those goals.

Go for a specific texture pack then! Do that recolor one or something. Having no custom textures might give your project a low barrier to entry, but it will also severely limit the number of people who will be interested in the first place. Having a specific texture pack, even if it ends up being small allows for a LOT more creative freedom as well as retaining a focus on gameplay friend. If people can have more fun making their map, they will make a better map all around. Not to say that having the choice of any custom textures can cause people to focus more on visuals and less on gameplay, but you won't see that happening if you give us something nice, simple, and small, best friend.

1 hour ago, Unholypimp1n said:

Ill make a map for this project as long as it can be hellish themed.

You heckin bet it can be hellish themed my friend!