Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HyperLuke

Sources for original Doom and Doom 2 textures?

many sources, but this old thread sought to find the specific stock images used to make many of the game's textures and sprites. The developers have also brought up a few other sources in the past, commonly mentioned are a flesh wound and a pair of snakeskin boots. These, however, can't really be confirmed since the original photos were never released.

The skyboxes came from stock photographs, usually by combining more than one image. Most of the weapons were digitized sprites of toy guns. The fists are supposedly Kevin Cloud's.

There was a cool thread I found a while back about the skies. Most of which were adapted from stock photos from some old ass photo CD collection.

Dark tekwalls were made out of a sci-fi-looking toy pistol and circuit boards. Brown tekwall was based on a techy pattern in the original hand-drawn Doom logo, IIRC.

I read the hanged victims belong to the executed dictator Mussolini. Does anyone have the source pic where the corpses were digitized from?

Guest Unregistered account

^ Yeah, those look quite far off. I don't think they're based off of real photographs.

Sometimes I want to dive around Dallas (where I live) and photograph some of the buildings that have elements strongly resembling some of Doom 2's textures.

Plenty of the original stuff is hand drawn, and for photographic sources they were often heavily altered. IMO, to ask for the source of the textures is generally less meaningful than trying to understand the techniques used to adapt those sources to Doom.

When Romero shared the unused graphics, I figured out the MAP18 starting room wall textures were based on a photographed body part (possibly Cloud's knee) instead of wood.

3 hours ago, ukiro said:

Plenty of the original stuff is hand drawn, and for photographic sources they were often heavily altered.

Not that heavily, from what I've seen.

2 hours ago, ASD said:

When Romero shared the unused graphics, I figured out the MAP18 starting room wall textures were based on a photographed body part (possibly Cloud's knee) instead of wood.

Dammit why did I read this... now I can't unsee a hairy leg.

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Not that heavily, from what I've seen.

You mean the 8 or so examples out of hundreds of textures people have been able to find simply because those few were not heavily modified?

7 minutes ago, ukiro said:

You mean the 8 or so examples out of hundreds of textures people have been able to find simply because those few were not heavily modified?

I'm assuming you know for sure which textures were photo-sourced, but made unrecognizable due to heavy edits. It would still be interesting to know of their origins. I don't know why you think that understanding the techniques is more important than such trivia, but such trivia can also help in understanding the techniques.

9 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I'm assuming you know for sure which textures were photo-sourced, but made unrecognizable due to heavy edits. It would still be interesting to know of their origins. I don't know why you think that understanding the techniques is more important than such trivia, but such trivia can also help in understanding the techniques.

Studying the techniques and tools has let me better identify how each texture is made. Hence my comment that the sources are less interesting than the process.

Of course trivia is fascinating, and I love the thread about the skies. But if the OP question about texture origins is interpreted as "how did id achieve their textures", then the sources are not that important. If the question was somehow assuming that id, like most of the community today, sources textures externally rather than crafting them from scratch then studying process is still more relevant than finding photo source material.