Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Need some help to clarify my memory

How did Doom exactly return to Earth after his missions were done on Mars(location - right?)? Was there supposed to be a spaceship supplied back then? However, I think it was probably through the portal to transfer himself back to home. Please someone help me out to clarify this for me, I will need this info to write a story. Thank you.

IIRC, he stepped through the portal and found himself staring at a bunny-kebab, rare.

He didn't go from Mars to Earth, he went from Hell to Earth.

Anyways, yeah, it was via a portal that opened after the Spider was killed.

999cop, all you need to do to see what happens is either kill the spider in e3m8 or launch dehacked and select the end text for e3, but basically what you'll find is what's already been indicated.

Don't tell me you're one of those who only have DOOM II!

Opps, forgot to include the Hell part, what I meant was from Mars then go through Hell and eventually return to Earth

but seriously, had there spaceships and such technology supplies been developed in UAC base during that time when the story was taking place?

The doomguy jumps from Deimos (drifting at the shores of hell) right into hell, and then teleports to earth from there. He's in Mars only before the game starts, from where the military squad he's in is flown to Phobos (connected to Deimos through teleportation stations called Anomalies.) This stuff is in the intro story, found in readme texts and in the DOOM FAQ, or in the game itself (further on.)

As for tech and ships, there's a Hangar, but it seems like the doomguy was no pilot since he had no means to fly off by himself.

myk said:

The doomguy jumps from Deimos (drifting at the shores of hell) right into hell...

And of course, he makes sure he drops any weapons he is carrying, except his pistol, each time he jumps. Well, you would, wouldn't you? Why would you need heavy fire power to go and battle the forces of evil on thier own turf? Pshah!

myk said:

(connected to Deimos through teleportation stations called Anomalies.)

Have any of you ever considered the possibility that they are called "Anomalies" because the bases have been mutated beyond recognition?
Afaik, the word "Anomaly" refers to something that is not quite normal.
Just a thought.

About the return to Earth part - I always saw it as (rather abstract though) Hell had enough of getting wrecked by our hero so it opened an escape for the hero to avoid that he tore Hell apart completely.

A more "realistic" approach (*ahem*) is that our hero actually found the very passageway where the souls of bad folks go to Hell through when they die and now he uses it to get back home.

But it IS weird no matter how you look at it.

I believe the anomalies refer to the portals themselves, since they were there before Phobos and Deimos had been settled on. It also explains why E1M8 and E2M1 are called Phobos/Deimos Anomaly since each level contains a gate (although we never see the one on Deimos within the level)

Gah. Hell had already sent it's army of hellspawn before the Doomguy went trough the passageway back to Earth, where the souls of bad folks would go when they die. Just needed to clarify that to myself. Good day.

CyRaptor said:

(although we never see the one on Deimos within the level)

Could the big glowing, health sapping, bright metalic red inverted crucifix be an anomaly? I'm not sure myself, but you've got to admit, it's quite anomalous.

I guess it's an anomaly, but I don't think it's the gate portal. Could be though, but I always figured the gate was outside the window behind you at the level start.

"Anomaly" seems to refer to an astronomical term related to the positioning of a planet in relation to its orbit (some angle)... We can assume the gates needed to be in precise locations in order to work properly; the anomalies. I'm sure an astronomer (or someone with particular affinity to astronomy) or an encyclopaedia could enlighten us a bit more on the matter.

question- if doomguy dies to tet to the shores of hell, rampages thru inferno, what is he ressurected from hell to earth? id ont quite get it

my spelling sucks

He doesn't die to get to Phobos. The black room at the very end of E1M8 was supposed to be a hallucination, I guess.

There is no need to say anything about hallucinations, and you mean "to get to Deimos." He doesn't die (note how the game ends when health drops under 10%, not under 0%.) He teleports into Deimos anomaly and is ambushed in the dark. Cut. Start E2 sometime after that fight.

Doom (or so he's called, i think his name is alan or something) is not that hard to figure out. in the end of DOOM I, he finds a craft and returns to earth. Hell has shifted to a higher plane, and is now on earth. Doom now must save earth. Meanwhile, scientist set up more junk out in space, and unleash even more evil. So after he wins on earth, he goes back and Kicks ass in space.

Caleb said:

Doom (or so he's called, i think his name is alan or something)

For the benefit of the newcomer: The Doomguy has no name. Do not apply a name you may have heard somewhere. Not even a name from a certain science-fiction book series which none of us shall ever acknowledge or speak of. Capice? ;)

The Doomguy's name is Alex Pritchard, Dan Woodward, Steve Dudzik, Frederico Cecceto, Andrew Stine, Julian Auborg etc. etc.

CyRaptor said:

I believe the anomalies refer to the portals themselves, since they were there before Phobos and Deimos had been settled on. It also explains why E1M8 and E2M1 are called Phobos/Deimos Anomaly since each level contains a gate (although we never see the one on Deimos within the level)

No offence to you, but I absolutely LOATHE the notion of the gateways being alien artifacts found on the moons. Not only does it suggest that the demons are friggin' aliens (which in the opinion of myself and that of several of my friends is total blasphemy), but it suggests that humanity isn't technically advanced enough themselves to have thought up and developed teleportation technology themselves.
The idea that the teleportation technology was basically "given" to humanity is so cheesy and dumb that I prefer to totally dismiss the idea of the gateways being the anomalies.

God dammit, even now humanity is beginning to do research on teleportation (it's still a ways off and it might evolve into something that we haven't even imagined yet), so how hard is it to imagine that humanity invented the gateways themselves?

dsm, it seems quite evident from the designs in the game, even the story, that the teleportation technology is of alien (hellish) origin.

And again you get all worked up over a word only because you are limiting yourself to certain stereotypes associated to it.

"Zombie" means basically someone that died and has been "returned to his body" or has been reanimated in a somewhat changed form (dead-like in some respects.) "Alien" means being from a strange place, or another place. A foreigner, an extra-terrestial from another planet, a being from another plane of existence, etc.

So if I were you I wouldn't get miffed at people using these words that clearly apply to DOOM-related stuff, and would't harrass anyone using them.

myk said:

dsm, it seems quite evident from the designs in the game, even the story, that the teleportation technology is of alien (hellish) origin.

And again you get all worked up over a word only because you are limiting yourself to certain stereotypes associated to it.

"Zombie" means basically someone that died and has been "returned to his body" or has been reanimated in a somewhat changed form (dead-like in some respects.) "Alien" means being from a strange place, or another place. A foreigner, an extra-terrestial from another planet, a being from another plane of existence, etc.

So if I were you I wouldn't get miffed at people using these words that clearly apply to DOOM-related stuff, and would't harrass anyone using them.

I am not referring to people messing up the word Alien - I'm referring to people who refuse to see the demons as DEMONS from Hell, but rather as your-standard-space/dimensional alien although it seems pretty evident that it's the other way round.
I saw an imho ridiculous thread about episode 3 of Ultimate Doom taking place on Mars instead of Hell a long time ago and I've seen several people regard them as "aliens from a Hell-like dimension"

Certain words should not be used the wrong places - but that's not important here, because I am not getting worked up over the word, I'm getting worked up over the meaning that is often put behind it.

And why is it "evident" that the gateway is of Hellish (alien) origin? Just because it has been morphed into something that looks Hellish doesn't mean that it has always been a Hellish object. The story's "..including research on interdimensional space travel" rather seems to suggest that they were working on the gates themselves (I.e. building them, fixing the internal electronics when things didn't work out etc.).

And whatever the old story was about, the story for Doom 3 indicates that they build the gateways themselves (the E3 presentation shows a doorway that looks like human tech to my eyes, but maybe I'm seeing stuff) - and the Doom 3 story IS pretty much based on the old story afaik.

Right, but note that you replied to CyRaptor, who said nothing about the aliens being "non-hellish" and that this thread is about DOOM and DOOM II (we're in the Classic Doom forums) and not DOOM III.

myk said:

Right, but note that you replied to CyRaptor, who said nothing about the aliens being "non-hellish" and that this thread is about DOOM and DOOM II (we're in the Classic Doom forums) and not DOOM III.

Quite right, that's also why I said "No offence" - I merely stated my opinion on this gateway theory and threw in the aliens thingy since these two things seem related in my eyes. I apologize if I seemed aggressive.
And just because it is the classic Doom 1/2 forum doesn't mean that it is prohibited to briefly mention aspects of Doom 3 if these are related to your arguments or related to the actual topic.
Doom 3 has been mentioned in this forum before without anyone complaining - simply because it was related to the topic.

No offense taken, dsm. I didn't mean to imply that the gateways were technological, I always thought they were "magic" for lack of a better/more appropriate term, hence them being called anomalies.

I too dislike the theory of demons being aliens (I prefer to think of Hell as a separate dimension connected to Earth, not a planet).

As for the teleports, I think they are of demon origin since they're all over the place but the (human) gateway experiments were supposedly the first of its kind, an may have re-opened the portal to Hell. Or something.

I'm getting really confused now. These are just my personal opinions, and I'm not saying mine are the "right" ones. Sorry if I came off that way.

Hey, I just want to know... if DoomGuy found, hell for bad folks, is there a heaven for good folks? In any case, yeah, they probably are demons dsm, but maybe it doesn't really tell you what they are because it's more fun to come up with something on your own? Ever think of that? Maybe people are supposed to have different oppinions. So I would get worked up over someone calling them aliens (though in Doom 3, they most definitly are demons for a dimension of hell.)