Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

Favorite midis?

What are your favorite and must-have midis? Not just from the original doom games, but from anywhere. Any custom doom wad, any game, really any midis in general. What kinds of midis do you like using in your own maps? What kinds of midis do you like hearing in other people's maps?

On top of that, if you could provide a link to it or an example of it being used in a doom wad or something so I could go ahead and add it to my ever-growing collection of midis, that would be very heckin nice friend.

I'll start!! My favorite midi is the nightwish-wanderlust midi used on map28 of scythe 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuBgIWg4_74 c:

Edited by bonnie

Mega Man has brought some really good Midis and my favorite one is "Sigma Stage 1". It was used in MAP13 from Scythe II.

20 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gntyufn7s3rcu09/emerson lake palmer -TARKUS.MID?dl=1

It's a LONG midi, clocking at 15 minutes and a bit. Good progressive rock midis are pretty rare, sadly.

If I could find a midi version of their song "Knife edge"

Anyway I like that midi edition of Led Zeppelin's Kasmir that usedin NUTS.wad

Also: Clausthrophobia MAP08

50 minutes ago, AnonimVio said:

STARS.MID is the definitive answer.

Stars by stewboy still is one of the greatest MIDIs ever made, I think. I have so many fond memories of playing SOD31 with it, or Valiant31 (coincidence?). But there's some other really good stuff out there, like a bunch of the heavy metal stuff used in HR2, or NG2. Then there's also Sunlust29's "Max man" from streets of rage... I can't possibly name all the MIDIs I personally like, so these are just a small portion of the many awesome things people put together.

Stars is cool but IMO stewboy has done better tracks, such as Day of Mourning from Resurgence, Sewers.mid, Imaginarium from Ancient Aliens to name a few, those are all fantastic.

And more generally, here's some others that spring to mind:

esselfortium - Zenith (ok this is cheating because unreleased wad but it's still an awesome track)

Jimmy - Cloud Soup (Doomworld Roulette 2 MAP07)

Jimmy - Petrichor

Alfonzo - Gutter Penny (Threnody MAP10, Realm of Parthoris E1M3)

Alfonzo - Oracle Night (Realm of Parthoris E2M1)

Knightrider of Doom - Dragon's Revenge (Shai'tan's Luck MAP28)

Knightrider of Doom - Fight to the End (sf2012 MAP34)
Knightrider of Doom - Legend of the Black Sun (Newgothic MAP11, Newgothic 2 MAP16(?), Chillax MAP39)*

Thyrbse - Last Wish (hr2 MAP24)

* Seriously, this one's insane, and just shy of 50 minutes long.

And yeah, I also can't name all of them, so there's a shed-load of other favourites I haven't listed. Oh and given how this particular question was worded...

4 hours ago, bonnie said:

What kinds of midis do you like hearing in other people's maps?

My own :P

I love this midi so much,sadly it's way too short

Some midis from Blood.

Damn,I wish I could bring all my favorite midis,but I don't want spam them all here. 

8 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Damn,I wish I could bring all my favorite midis,but I don't want spam them all here.

spam away friend, just don't heckin embed them all, okay? when you paste the link, it will say at the bottom "Your link has been automatically embedded" and next to that, it will have a little button to just display it as a regular link, so just hit that if you post any more midis, best friend :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WIHYI355s

Here are some of my favorites

Too bad the youtube video sounds fucked up....

Pretty much all of batman doom music it's great. It's too bad that it barely get's any recognition

Also, from the plutonia midi proyect....

2 minutes ago, bonnie said:

spam away friend, just don't heckin embed them all, okay? when you paste the link, it will say at the bottom "Your link has been automatically embedded" and next to that, it will have a little button to just display it as a regular link, so just hit that if you post any more midis, best friend :3

I can edit links,if you want. 

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I can edit links,if you want. 

i want you to do whatever you gosh darn please friend

I have a badass MIDI of Marilyn Manson's "Rock is Dead". I heard the actual song quite a bit later and I was quite disappointed with it. :]

Of course "Going Down the Fast Way" from RotT, that's a classic.

D_AMPIE and D_THEDA3 from this music WAD:

Probably the midi from the 'classic' megawads that I enjoy the most is MAP09 from MM2. I never see it in other people's favourite MIDI lists, so it's maybe a little odd that I enjoy it so much. Maybe the instrumentation speaks to me, maybe I just love hearing how it progresses. It's not the most listenable on its own, but I've never yet tired of it ingame.

In other wads, there isn't necessarily a favourite midi I like listening to. It's odd, but I don't actually tend to listen to music that much just by itself. So I would have to go through every wad with custom music and just list the midis I like, which could get long.

As for non-doom favourite midis, anything I use in my own maps is always going to be a midi I really enjoy. The stuff I used in Destination Unknown I still like (except for MAP18's track which was one of the earliest midis I ever wrote, back in 2005).

@stewboy i love disposition! it's one of my favorites from Memento Mori 2's soundtrack. Memento Mori 2 is full of great tracks that doesn't seem to get used much outside from the wad they came with:

i don't wanna spam the thread too much with video-links, so i'll try to summarize myself a bit here:

most of the classic Doom megawads have really good music. the Memento Mori series have really memorable music, Icarus is pretty good if a bit uneven, Requiem has some classics, and Strain has some of the best of David Shaw and Mark Klem's work. seriously, Land of Able is criminally underused.

modern megawads also has some pretty good music. some of my favorite mapsets are probably Speed of Doom, the Back to Saturn X series, Resurgence and Ancient Aliens.

and sometimes, some cheesy pop songs can fit Doom surprisingly well. there's one particular track in the latter third of eviltecc that's really, really good. i actually probably have to post it in the "find that Doom song" thread...

agree with Eris, there are way better stewboy midis than Stars. The whole Ancient Aliens soundtrack for example.

I don't believe I said this before, but I have to hand it to Vanguard for introducing me to the music from Xenogears, like this one.

Also I guess Erik Alm was a jRPG nut like I am, since he used some Breath of Fire 2 midis a lot too.

2 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

most of the classic Doom megawads have really good music. the Memento Mori series have really memorable music, Icarus is pretty good if a bit uneven, Requiem has some classics, and Strain has some of the best of David Shaw and Mark Klem's work.

This, I often have the music from 90's megawads and episodes stuck in my head. The Darkening, Sector 666, Biowar, and the epic Eternal Doom also come to mind.

I'm going to go with "Nobody Told Me About Plutonia," Jimmy's fast-paced remix of "Nobody Told Me About id."

There's a lot of good midis I hear in custom Doom wads, but the one soundtrack I really like the most is from Rise of the Triad. A lot of the music is used in several doom wads, but most famously Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta, and Kama Sutra, making the tracks pretty synonymous with intense gameplay. I'm also glad someone has uploaded them using the Adlib Sound Blaster format. I like them all, but my most favourites are "You Suck," "Going Down the Fast Way," "Mist Ache," "Run Like Smeg," "Task Force," "Adagio For Strings," and "Excalibur."

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

This, I often have the music from 90's megawads and episodes stuck in my head. The Darkening, Sector 666, Biowar, and the epic Eternal Doom also come to mind.

aha, i am of two minds of the soundtracks you listed there. specifically, Eternal Doom and the sequel to Darkening, Darkening E2.

Eternal Doom's soundtrack is pretty iconic in its own right, just like how the visual style is very distinct and recognizable, but i can't really stand it that much personally. i think it's pretty bad and too repetitive, which doesn't mesh well with the length of the levels you're playing here. i think if Tom Mustaine, Mark Klem and David Shaw were responsible for the mod's soundtrack, it would've been a lot more bearable IMO. i don't think it's all terrible, but there's a good third or so of the music that makes everything feel like a slog.

Darkening E1's soundtrack is actually pretty good, mostly because it uses songs from various other megawads of the time, but Darkening E2 has some of the most... bizarre music i have ever heard in Doom. i've heard tons of complaints about how unfitting the music is for BTSX E1 and 2, but apparently Darkening E2 gets a free pass while having a pretty similar visual style? i actually like quite a bit of the music from it, but it's certainly got really odd music in it overall!

I like making my own midis. I generally prefer dark, mysterious and melancholic midis, but there are exceptions of course. 

I think Mist Ache from ROTT is the perfect example of a good DOOM midi imo :)

Also if you go to Metabolist's page and listen to the tune "Death Bell", vert nice!

May come back here and provide a list later today :)

Basically every midi soundtracks that were composed by the following people, or group, in alphabetical order:

James Paddock, Kevin Schilder, Lee Jackson, SoundTeMP, Stuart Rynn, and Tristan Clark.

Still, there are more and more MIDI tracks by the authors that I didn't mention from above, such as Death Mask by Lippeth, Trigger by Bucket, Dread by Xaser, Gutter Penny by Alfonzo, Wedding March for the Princess of Death by mouldy, and so on. It will take a whole day to write them down to here, so I apologize if you're not mentioned, even if you wrote my favorite MIDI soundtrack.

The music from "The last Ninja 2" on Commodore 64. This theme fits so perfectly for an adventurous/exploration map.

Edited by Roofi