Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Estacado

Need Help On a New Game

hi guys I am very now to this so I need your help.I want to make a doom like game.A wad game to be exact.All I did til now is a level.I saved as A wad but GZDoom wont execute cause its not an Iwad.Can someone exaplain me how can I make a bunch of levels and make a game?Like Brutal Doom or Hexen.I don't want to be that polished but I do need to start form somehere right?So can you please explain all the pk3 and skulltag things and stuff.Making a game with even 2 levels will be a blast for me.Thanks in advance

I'm trying understand what you said here. So I answer some questions and ask some questions.

1. Are your iwads in gzdoom folder?Where do you keep your first maps?For myself,I keep my maps in gzdoom folder,so if I need test them I can easily drag and drop wads on gzdoom.exe or open other source ports folders and use same method. Also zdl extension or folder "skins" in zdoom based ports can do the trick.

2.For mapping you need gzdoom builder bugfix or doom builder 2 and slade for importing custom data. But I think you first need learn mapping with stock textures and things before you do something bigger. 

3.Pk3 is almost the same as zip file,I don't really work with them. Other people can explain more this. 

For making a level, you need a map editor like the ones that MysteriousHaruko mentioned. And .pk3 files are compiled in a different way than a .wad file

Hi thanks for responding.I do save my maps at my gzdoom folder and I do have both gzdoom builder and doombuilder2.I have made severall maps and saved them as a wad file but when I try to open them with gzdoom it says that it isn't recognisable and its not and Iwad.Do you know how can I Change Wads to Iwads?I Asked for the pk3 because I somehow understood that I need to do some coding inside a pk3 file to make a game like doom that has episodes etc. Or hubs 

Do you have Doom/Doom2/Final Doom iwads?you can't run your maps without them. Get them on steam or gog. Also for scripting zdoom wiki is your best friend. Check that page.

An IWAD contains all essential resources that the game needs for running. Modders typically create just PWADs, which only contain custom content created by the modders, and otherwise rely on resources from the IWAD, which they can use via "referencing" those resources in the IWAD without re-including the resources into the PWAD file. PWADs are supposed to be loaded together with an IWAD to work, so every player who wants to play the PWAD, must already own the IWAD on his computer - most IWADs are commercial and therefore their content is illegal to distribute by the modders. Creating one's own original IWAD is an ENORMOUS task, definitely not one for a beginner who just started with Doom modding. So, if you want to make and share maps, get yourself an IWAD, include it as a resource in your map editor, make your own maps, save the maps into a PWAD, and share just the PWAD, and people who already own the same IWAD that you used will be able to play your maps by loading your PWAD together with the IWAD.

Edited by scifista42

Hi and thank you so much for replying.You are right after a little research I understood by myself that I cannot make an IWad.I've made a map in doom builder with the doom 2 preset and the doom2.wad so I do have a IWad.I have all the doom.wad actually cause I am a huge fan.When i created my map i saved it as a wad file but I cannot start it with gzdoom it just won't work it says that its not a iwad.I can test it through doom builder though.What should I do so People can download my wad and play it with gzdoom? How to do that pwad thing? Thanks in advance

Pwad or patch wad is that you created in Doom builder. Iwad stays for internal wad like Ultimate Doom or Doom 2. So,you can't run patch wad without internal wad. Also,I think your Doom/Doom2/Final Doom iwads are not in gzdoom folder,bring copies in gzdoom folder. Also,you can setup gzdoom that it will always run wad files no matter what.

Okay I did it thanks. Now could you please tell me how to put an end on my levels so players can go on the next one ?

I want to have an exit on my map so players can go on the next one.Like doom does.You know when you open this last door etc and transports you to another level.I don't want any intermission screen but just that

8 minutes ago, Estacado said:

I want to have an exit on my map so players can go on the next one.Like doom does.You know when you open this last door etc and transports you to another level.I don't want any intermission screen but just that

If you want to go to one map to another by skipping the intermission screen, then you have to assign the Teleport_ToMap action (you can put this action if you selected your map format to Doom in Hexen format or Doom in UDMF format). If you want the intermission screen, then the Exit_Normal action (again, depending of the map format) is the way to go...

Looks like you need some basic tutorials. There's a subforum for that, and here's a stickied post from that forum that has some links to tutorials: 

Also, the "Doom Editing" forum is a more appropriate place for this kind of thread. To answer your question real quick though, here's a picture...

Untitled.png