Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

Favorite midis?

that klonoa 2 midi where the chords are harmonically out of whack because of a sequencing error

i also like mark klem's overused tunes #2, #5, #6 and #11

Edited by yakfak

Favourite Midis, huh?

I have been trying for so long into figuring out where ndcp2.wad MAP09's music originated from. Sounds Metallica-esque, but I never had any luck locating it.

As for the tracks that I do know that I'm particularly fond of (amongst many, many others):

- Doom II: MAP28

- Interception: MAP16 / Ancient Aliens: MAP07

- Slaughterfest 2012: MAP25

- Urania: MAP29

17 hours ago, AnonimVio said:

STARS.MID is the definitive answer.

At this point stewboy probably understands how rock legends feel. "The next song is from our new album that's going to be released this summer and we're trying something differ-" "PLAY YOUR FIRST ALBUM GODDAMIT!" Though in stew's case that would be Nightrun from PL2, technically.

My favourite non-Doom/non-FPS midi is the main theme from Gabriel Knight. It kicks ass, but the way it dramatically changes pace half-way through wouldn't fit Doom maps well.

edit: The theme actually starts 55s in, it always gets lumped with the Sierra intros for some reason.

Edited by dew

I like many midis, would be a long list, just post a few:

Night Bats, Mark Klem

Ambience, Jimmy Paddock

Suspence, Bobby Prince

Last Man Standing (Sacrificial Symphony), Kristian Aro (WoS map 28)

Mist Ache, Rise of the Triads

Risen from the Dead, Thyrbse (HR2 map 17)

Almost all the PSX doom tracks

I found a Carcass midi cover somewhere on the net that I kinda forgot the site.

Community Chest 2 MAP24 track.

Sunlust MAP01 track.

New Doom Community Project 2(NDCP2) MAP24 track(which I currently use for a map).

Some of the Slayer, Iron Maiden, Grave Digger, King Diamond.
Many of these I've included to urania.wad

ok less bitterly: The entire Daggerfall soundtrack, from its barely-there dungeon dirges to its bustling town music to its enchanting, fantastic guilds and temple themes. all lovingly composed by someone who clearly embraced everything music had to offer, loved a strong melody but had time for every strange interval under the sun.

my other more recent favourite MIDI is the tune from Miasma. now THAT's a moody, mystical piece of music which doesn't lean on any epic tropes, a welcome change from the power metal a lot of rock-hard level sets choose to use.

1 hour ago, yakfak said:

ok less bitterly: The entire Daggerfall soundtrack, from its barely-there dungeon dirges to its bustling town music to its enchanting, fantastic guilds and temple themes. all lovingly composed by someone who clearly embraced everything music had to offer, loved a strong melody but had time for every strange interval under the sun.

my other more recent favourite MIDI is the tune from Miasma. now THAT's a moody, mystical piece of music which doesn't lean on any epic tropes, a welcome change from the power metal a lot of rock-hard level sets choose to use.

Yeah, the Daggerfall soundtrack is excellent, though sadly I feel like few of the songs from it fit well in Doom maps. I wonder if more of them would make sense in Strife or Heretic.

If you're wondering (not sure if you are), the Miasma tune is the song composed by B.P.R.D. for his CC2 map 24. It's quite possibly the best Doom midi ever written, though for some reason I don't find it to be a great fit for Miasma (or any other song either -- I've tried quite a few. Not sure what it is about that map).

ah thanks, I didn't realise where the tune had originally come from at all!

personally I think a good subtle midi always sets the tone of a level rather than clashing with it

Starting from D_Runnin from D2M1 (the map is way too short for this one to be enjoyed fully), so I appreciate the WADs that make use of this classic one. Plutonia Experiment Map02 and Map11 midis. Now the Pwads:

D5M1 (Dwango 5), Invasion UAC (iu_part5) Map01 and a few more midis, Drown in Blood (DIB) Map01 and Map31, TNTR has got some great tracks, Map09 from EvilTech, Map07 midi is awesome from SG_trogun.wad, Not to forget the tracks from Brit10.wad, Ruinbros.wad Map04, Shovelad Map01 is epic, DBzone has some nice midis, Rj Downtown 2a Map01 was good too if I remember it correctly, Midis from Pl2, and more...

"holygon" and "pogchamp" by zzzv (yakfak) have probably been the most inspirational midi I've heard in awhile. Honorary mention to some of my favorite classics: BPRD's mucus flow, as already mentioned, and Klem's "Treasures in the Dark", originally from... strain?

From the official WADs:

"Sign of Evil"

"Nobody Told Me About id"

Those are probably my two favorites, even though I enjoy all the others. But those are the two I can listen to the most without them feeling stale.

For fan WADs, I really like the MIDIs from Plutonia2, especially the last few maps.

Message for the archvile and this one

Edited by Maisth

From Ultimate Doom & Doom II:

"Sign of Evil" 10/10

"The Dave D. Taylor Blues" 10/10

"Waltz of the Demons" 8/10

"Shawn's Got The Shotgun" 8/10

From TNT: Evilution (should be by Tom Mustaine):

"Horizon" 10/10

"Infinite" 9/10

From Valiant:

"Stealth Mode" by James Paddock (Map17) 10/10

"Astral Dreadnought" by James Paddock (Map08) 9/10

From Ancient Aliens (by Stuart Rynn):

"Vase" (Map10) 10/10

"The Demon's Serenade" (Map09) 9/10

"Hypercube" (Map15) 9/10

"Colliding Nebulae" (Map29) 9/10

"Long Night" (Map19) 8/10

I guess I like creepy musics for some reason... Ancient Aliens' tracks probably are my favorite. That's why I paid for them and have them on my cellphone. When I'll have a long time driving session, I'll listen to this album.

A midi from the most obscure Zelda game ever. This is very epic but I haven't a download link to get the midi file.

My favourite MIDI is "Contemplate" composed by Hellish Godzilla. It comes from Plutonia MIDI pack, MAP25.

But Generally. I like any MIDI that sounds well with OPL synth and uses many different various and uncommon instruments (not these which are commonly used like electric guitars etc.).

I also like many MIDIs created by James Paddock.

Quickfire list of Jimmy's favorite MIDI composers that are not him:

stewboy, obv. "Dance of the Reindeer", and "Jailbreak" forever. Ancient Aliens' new offerings "Desk Lamp", "Trapeze", and "Colliding Nebulae" are still going to be talked about in 10 years' time.

PRIMEVAL has a huge amount of quality content out there. His work in Reverie and Unholy Realms (the latter of which he scored entirely! bravo.) is great. It's all worth a listen in my book if you're a lover of metal, and are on the lookout for heavy metal MIDI done right.

Mark Klem and David Shaw are seminal, can't go a thread like this without mentioning either. "Dredge", "Destiny", "Devil's Ground" and "Galaxy" by Klem, and Shaw's "Backroad Wanderer", "And Blood Will Spill", "The Helix" and "Lamneth's Ground" are iconic tracks that fully deserve their reputation.

Alfonzo. This guy pours heart and soul into his works, and compositionally they're some of the more varied and multilayered MIDI works you'll find around today. "Keepsake Fever", "Flip the Switch" and "Corrugator" are great tracks by him. He will be loath to hear it, but I also truly believe his speedmidis stand on their own merits too, especially "Call Doctor Birch, 0-800", "Dinner on Pluto", "Shirtfont and Immigration" and "The Rats of Parliament".

essel's works are outstandingly atmospheric and emotive in their own, almost melancholy, way. "Womp" (BTSX E1) and "Lost City" (BTSX E2) might be my favorites of hers.

Jazz Mickle's tracks are excellent, too - her speedmidis are especially catchy and snappy. Her more extensive works have a lot of attitude and pizzazz too, like "Alias", "Take Your Pills And Be Who You Are", "I Don't Think Hell Is That Kind of Institution", and of course the immortal "El Dorado Never Shined as Bright as a Well Oiled Ass".

Eris Falling is the unsung hero of Revolution! MIDI Pack. "Battle of Chaos" and "The Forgotten God" are superb constructions of progressive heavy metal in MIDI, and that's to say nothing of his more subdued tracks which easily have equal weight. His contributions to Rebirth have also been second-to-none so far.

Xaser's "Angry Science" and "Ominus" are a pivotal musical moments in BTSX E2, but I really dig his "Kashmoney Temple" and "Dread" (PRCP MAP15's track) in equal measure.

yakfak's work is zany and unhinged in a beautiful way - it's music that absolutely deserves more than one chance, because on repeated listens it becomes infectiously catchy. "Sappers & Moles" is a very strong offering to Revolution! MIDI Pack, and if you haven't heard their work "VOTER" and "NEURORAK" then I urge you to find those pieces and fix the situation immediately.

Lippeth's "Death Mask", "Always Watching" and "Massacre Machine" are serious standouts in Plutonia MIDI Pack. I don't have much more of his work to sample, unfortunately.

Edited by Jimmy

Great to see so much love for the more recent acts in the world of Doom MIDI. Klem, Tolwyn and Doyle (awesome map02 track for TNT:R, just quietly) are powerhouse guys whose stuff should absolutely still be celebrated, but there's just so much new quality that gets overlooked because they only feature on one or two levels at a time when there are more projects being worked on than ever before. It's great to hold up every now and then and just have a good listen to what's on offer.

What I'm trying to say is listen to more of my stuff, yeah? I'm p good. Also Eris and essel and Padlock go alright.

6 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

What I'm trying to say is listen to more of my stuff, yeah?

Maybe provide us with a repository where all of your stuff is accessible? :~>

No really, give me all your midis already. They're very good.

What an_mutt said.

Also, re: Jmickle, where do I find "Alias" and "I Don't Think Hell Is That Kind of Institution"? I don't think I've heard those. The other two Jimmy mentioned are phenomenal.

I'm impressed with how some of these songs are even made with MIDI, with all the layers and effects lol 

Personally I like the more the atmospheric ones, where the guitar doesn't play a major role. For example, I love the map 1 and 6 in BTSX1 songs. Also, MAP02 from Plutonia 2 is a very good and catchy one, which I remember nowdays even playing the level and listenning to it once.

I haven't played as many stuff as you guys, though, so I don't remember lots of stuff.

Edited by Deadwing

yeah, basically what Jimmy said, with a few additions of my own:

John Bye's music in The Talosian Incident is one of the main reasons i hold that wad in such high regard; it really makes the atmosphere of it. he also had some good tracks in his previos work, Cygnus IV.

B.P.R.D's music is certainly strange, but can't help but be awe-inspiring at times. like the track in The Mucus Flow, Grove, and the original ones in Equinox all are really excellent, mysterious-sounding pieces of work, if a bit too brickwalled and loud.

this is the place where i would plug myself out but i'm not going to do that.