Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

Star Trek: Discovery

Hype because Star Trek, but really what the fuck is this? Looks more like the reboot film continuity than anything I've come to associate with Trek.

Will watch with an open mind and naive excitement, of course. ;)

6 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Hype because Star Trek, but really what the fuck is this? Looks more like the reboot film continuity than anything I've come to associate with Trek.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure how this can exist in the same universe, at basically the same time, as Kirk's Enterprise. I may go in with a little less of an open mind and naive excitement, but I'll definitely still watch it. If I can find a way to watch it, that is...

Looks good. I'm glad to have Star Trek back on TV again - it's always been a TV series at its heart, rather than a film franchise. TV is where it really shines.

Netflix? I thought it was going to be on CBS All-Access, CBS's in-house premium streaming service. Either way, it is not really a TV show because it is not really on TV. Instead, it is streamed to a PC. It is behind a pay wall so I won't get to see it.

8 hours ago, fraggle said:

Looks good. I'm glad to have Star Trek back on TV again - it's always been a TV series at its heart, rather than a film franchise. TV is where it really shines.

While I agree that the Star Trek franchises made for very good TV, there were a few movies that were excellent as well. In particular, Star Trek: First Contact was very well made, and had the characteristic subtle darkness for which Jonathan Frakes had become well known while directing several ST:TNG shows.

On a slightly related note, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was an under-rated but highly enjoyable series.

9 hours ago, fraggle said:

Totally what Fraggle said. I'm hoping it's going to be a fun series. I'm a bit miffed that Netflix Canada isn't going to show it. I guess it'll be on Space so I will get to see it.

Looks like it would make a better movie than TV show on CBS All Access. Tough to imagine turning a profit with those special effects, but that could just be the first and final episodes.

Not sure what's behind all the Netflix hate. They're pretty much the only company making any good TV nowadays.

45 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Not sure what's behind all the Netflix hate. They're pretty much the only company making any good TV nowadays.

Well for my part, it's not hate for Netflix, really. It's hate of the fact that what you just said about it is the case, and entirely because of media conglomeration and its effect on the drive to turn even high-dollar cable and satellite television in the US into nothing but a 24/7 glut of disgusting, asinine unreality programming which caters to the dumbest segments of the population and actively makes them dumber for having watched any of it (ie turn on what was once a scientific or historical programming channel, and end up "learning" about ancient aliens, ghosts, big foot, and guys who rip people off at pawn shops).

my only beef with netflix is just a strong distrust for streaming services in general where content can disappear at any point. I feel its probably more paranoia than anything, but we have seen shows and the like vanish from netflix due to licensing issues.

I really hope physical releases don't become a thing of the past. They aren't perfect, but at least they're fairly easy to rip still and won't suddenly vanish from my collection if some license expires

EDIT: I realize I have a bad habit of being off-topic, so lets fix that: I just watched the trailer, the one in the OP doesn't work in the states it seems, so here's one from the official YT channel:

I can't really comment on the story yet, but while I'm not 100% sold on the visual style, one thing I'm liking is that they're doing a decent job of making things look tactile, with tons of buttons on the bridge instead of touchscreens, as well as keeping some of the angular stuff you'd see on the original Enterprise. Maybe a little too shiny, but I guess that's just shifts in trends in visual design.

Edited by InsanityBringer

I got into Star Trek in early 2015, since then I have watched all of The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager, but I could barely watch much of Enterprise season one before dropping it entirely, I also watched all the TOS and TNG movies and only one of the newer movies which was Star Trek: Beyond.

I am not really particularly interested in yet another prequel since I didn't entirely enjoy Enterprise, and in all honesty I just wish they would continue on where they left off from Deep Space Nine and Voyager with an actual sequel series, but alas Star Trek Online seems to be the closest I will get to one.

Of course I am not saying it will be a bad Star Trek, but I will see whether I will watch it or not eventually assuming it comes out in Australia at some point.

You gave up on Enterprise too quickly. The first two seasons were rather shoddy, it really got better after that. Of course commercially the damage was done and the series never recovered.

I'm not looking forward to this honestly. its too flashy, they're relying too much on CG for pretty much everything now, whereas the old star treks relied more on the story and characters. Plus, this is meant to be ten years before the original series, yet the technology looks like its more advanced than ever. I mean, Holograms? High tech bridges like that? It seems like it would be more suitable to be further in the future than set before the original series.

there is definitely a jump in technology compared to TOS, but to be fair there's the whole problem that there was a jump in technology since TOS in real life. As mentioned I think they did a decent job making things use physical switches and the like, even if a lot of things overall look much more high tech compared to TOS. The trouble is that it's not the 60s anymore, so making something that looked like the original Enterprise bridge would look out of place.

As long as they aren't dealing with like, holodecks and touch screens (weird, given today's tech, but star trek was odd in this regard), I probably won't mind the tech too much. I really would like something like the original Trek but where monitors actually show something that looks reasonable instead of a bunch of blinking blocks.

2 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

As long as they aren't dealing with like, holodecks and touch screens (weird, given today's tech, but star trek was odd in this regard

Not really. For critical applications nothing beats a mechanical switch. I don't think you'll find a touchscreen control in places where failure is not allowed.

I've been a fan of Star Trek for as long as I can remember and can remember flashes of TNG when it was on the air. I've seen each series multiple times and can usually figure out what the episode is after just a few seconds. That being said, I'm not overly hyped about this new series. Similar to what Avoozl said, I'm not much interested in a prequel and would much rather see a sequel to Voyager. I have no doubt that it'll do well though. 

Personally my biggest gripe is the exclusive CBS All Access in the US (if I'm understanding that correctly). We don't have All Access, and personally I'm not willing to spend the money just to watch Star Trek. If it releases on Netflix at a later date, I'd probably be okay with that, but I've heard nothing about that.

Regarding Enterprise, I thought that the series had a lot of potential. I just feel like it fell through. Seasons 1 and 2 were all about the exploration and the stand alone episodes similar in style to TNG episodes. I'm fine with that, but I think that's why it didn't do so well. It was too same old. Season 3 tried to fix that with the Xindi arc, but for me, it just really killed it. Something about it didn't click with me. Season 4, on the other hand, I personally feel is one of the best seasons of Star Trek out of any series, and with what I've heard about the ideas for season 5, I think it would have been better. I really would have liked to have seen the Earth-Romulan war and the formation of the Neutral Zone.

8 hours ago, Phade102 said:

... this is meant to be ten years before the original series, yet the technology looks like its more advanced than ever.

Echoes of Star Wars, wouldn't you say?

But staying on topic, I'm actually okay with the technological gadgetry looking updated, when compared to that of the original series. But it would defy logic to have newer technological capabilities in a time period 10 years prior to the original series.

20 hours ago, Phade102 said:

the technology looks like its more advanced than ever.

But looking like more advanced doesn't mean it is more advanced in actual performances.

For the sake of this trailer I dare say the special effects get in the way. I learned more about the characters in the Seth McFarlane parody trailer and it made me want to watch that instead.

Looks okay, maybe.  We'll see.  Looks like they keep trying to one-up TOS with these reboots and "before kirk" things.  I liked Enterprise (feel like I'm in the minority there), but it sort of suffered from the same thing.

2 hours ago, Revae said:

Looks okay, maybe.  We'll see.  Looks like they keep trying to one-up TOS with these reboots and "before kirk" things.  I liked Enterprise (feel like I'm in the minority there), but it sort of suffered from the same thing.

The further we go into the future the more they go into the past and the better the special effects get.

I too liked Enterprise especially that second season. Then the third season with its 3 episode killed it for me. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as the previous season.

Only 25 more years until we get a reboot of the Next Generation.

On 18/05/2017 at 9:18 PM, LordShadowZ said:

I'm hopeful. I love Star Trek more than almost anything and I really hope it will be good.

im feel the exact same, i have got high hopes