Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I want to start a list of wads that are more puzzle oriented than combat oriented.  Maps that have torch puzzles like the one in "Last Call" and similar stuff are what I mean.  What are some that you guys can think of.  They can be single wads, from compilations, parts of megawads , or you can even make new ones just for this topic.  Thanks!

-GRB

don't let your cybermemes be cyberdreams

Edited by bonnie

Eternal Doom, and other stuff by its authors: the Odessa series (Bob Evans), Enigma and the Titan series (Jim Flynn).

Icarus MAP08: Donnybrook

I made a puzzle map in Absolute Dishonor, MAP04: Raiden's Key

Do Heretic maps count? E1M9 from Realm Of Parthoris (by yours truly) is remarkably puzzle-oriented.

40 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Icarus MAP08: Donnybrook

I made a puzzle map in Absolute Dishonor, MAP04: Raiden's Key

There's that ghost monster one as well

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

All of Hexen...

I thought about saying this, but I thought it was probably obvious...

Also, Hexen WADs can range anywhere from really fun to really obnoxious with their puzzle design. Some are very well-designed, giving subtle clues and the freedom to fail and try again. Others are just like "Here are thirty identical switches -- push the one that won't bring the ceiling down on you."

2 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I thought about saying this, but I thought it was probably obvious...

Also, Hexen WADs can range anywhere from really fun to really obnoxious with their puzzle design. Some are very well-designed, giving subtle clues and the freedom to fail and try again. Others are just like "Here are thirty identical switches -- push the one that won't bring the ceiling down on you."

Well, there are wads in Hexen that you must figure it out for what to do next. Others can help you by doing a camera script of the place that you must go after pressing a switch, like the Tower of Chaos mapset...

Also, I believe that A New World (another mapset for Hexen and one that I will record) has the same idea of pointing the next place...

Daedalus , a Zdoom-compatible wad.

Wait a sec, City of the Damned Apocalypse is puzzle-oriented too...

Hexen doesn't have any puzzles. It has switches and scoreboards that keep track of how many of the switches you've found. That doesn't count as a puzzle, whatever the ingame messages say.

ALT maps 4 and 15

Epic 2's middle stretch

Zones of Fear also has a really wonderful castle map with some simple puzzles as well as a fairly obnoxious skill testing level with teleporter mazes and pole hopping

I agree that Hexen has no puzzles, it's more of a completionist mapping thing than anything else

still love the game but it's not a brainteaser as such

11 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

I consider chillax a puzzle wad.

True, and I would extend that to most if not all top-end modern slaughter maps. You have to figure out the exact sequence of moves, you can't just run at them however you like.