Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Movie Monsters

I always felt bad for the mutant dog in the Fly 2 as well. Good effects in those films

On 17-5-2017 at 10:39 PM, dew said:

I hear it's Prometheus 2, except darker, more brutal and waaaaay more stupid.

How can it be even more stupid than the first one??

^I don't think he wants to elaborate on that.  I asked him three times but he's being the mysterious type.  So much dramatic tension!  

I realize this topic is focusing on non-human monsters, but there have been some excellent human "monsters" as well. For example, Hannibal Lechter is a chilling psychopath in Silence of the Lambs. The Joker is another fear-inducing antagonist in The Dark Knight. I haven't watched any of the Friday the 13th movies, but I imagine Jason Voorhees is the stuff of nightmares.

As for traditional monsters, I'd have to say that the Alien is probably what I'd consider the most frightening fictional type (e.g., alien, mutant, etc.) For non-fictional, I'd have to say the Great White Shark in Jaws was terrifying.

3 minutes ago, ReX said:

I realize this topic is focusing on non-human monsters, but there have been some excellent human "monsters" as well. For example, Hannibal Lechter is a chilling psychopath in Silence of the Lambs. The Joker is another fear-inducing antagonist in The Dark Knight. I haven't watched any of the Friday the 13th movies, but I imagine Jason Voorhees is the stuff of nightmares.

As for traditional monsters, I'd have to say that the Alien is probably what I'd consider the most frightening fictional type (e.g., alien, mutant, etc.) For non-fictional, I'd have to say the Great White Shark in Jaws was terrifying.

JACK NICHOLSON IS BEST JOKER

7 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

JACK NICHOLSON IS BEST JOKER

You're goddamn right.

But the most nightmare inducing batman monster is Joel Schumacher.

1 minute ago, Tracer said:

You're goddamn right.

But the most nightmare inducing batman monster is Joel Schumacher.

George Clooney comes in at 2nd.

23 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

George Clooney comes in at 2nd.

Followed by Bane in Batman Forever and Robin...actually let's just say that everything after Batman Returns and everything before Batman Begins are the scariest Batman monstrocities.

Actually...the ending of Batman Returns can be lumped into this steaming pile.  Rocket launching penguin army did not go over well.

Edited by Tracer : See below

4 minutes ago, Tracer said:

Followed by Bane in Batman Forever...actually let's just say Batman Forever is the scariest Batman monstrocity.

I thought Bane & Clooney were in Batman & Robin, the guy who is a professional Jim Morrison impersonator played Batman in Batman Forever.

8 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

How can it be even more stupid than the first one??

Jayextee explains it well in the Covenant thread.

I fully agree that these new additions to the mythos detract from it. The original franchise, including the 3rd and 4th movie, was an epic struggle of humanity as it keeps encountering a mysterious deadly threat from the depths of an uncaring Lovecraftian space. In the Prometheus saga we get this galactic soap opera where our collective daddy hates us and preventively creates means to disinherit us kill our entire species with a biological weapon, except he suffers a stroke right before signing the will turns the weapon on himself by accident and our evil twin brother spiteful own robot creation finds it first and uses it against us.

Notice how the sci-fi variants are all wordier but equally dumb? I hate how trivial it is. If there was someone to put a shotgun slug through David's head at any point of these two movies, it would be game over. No Alien threat, humanity wins forever. That's so disappointing and lame. The original movies made you think we've encountered an universal scourge that possibly wiped out entire civilizations, that the Cosmos evolved the ultimate predator whose utilitarian life cycle manages to overcome even the most advanced technology. It plays on our fear that raw barbaric power will overcome our best defensive measures. And then we'll get collectively raped, oh yes. Penis down the throat, penis bursting through the chest, penis coming out of the alien's mouth... scary shit! Well, here we learn that it was actually some stupid alien guy's retarded idea that backfired. /eyeroll

Secondly, Alien movies always relied on the clash of highly competent survivalist types with the ultimate killing machines. The terror stems from the fact that our best get slaughtered so easily by these monsters. Both Prometheus movies remove this assumption. The scientists in the first movie act like a flock of teenage bimbos in the 6th sequel of a slasher series. The Aliens don't spread because they're so insanely efficient, they spread because they were literally forced into it by an unending string of retarded actions of our supposedly best minds. And this "Prometheus 2"? It's been dubbed "Couples Vs. Aliens" for a reson, this is the dumbest crowd to meet the Xenos just yet even on paper... and boy, do they overcome themselves. They pretty much jump into the jaws of the monsters. They're so offensively stupid that I've heard a few people say they rooted for David just to kill off all these retards ASAP.

My problem with these new movies? If you dropped a Ripley or a Hicks into them, the entire crisis would get contained in roughly 15 seconds and everyone could go home safe.

I don't know if it counts, but I would add Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers first.

Jason, because in the latter films he was like a zombie with super strength, which I consider monstrous enough and Myers because he is said to be pure evil (I know he was a crazy murderer at first).

Maybe Freddy could be added too, though he is more of a clever murderer with supernatural powers, than a monster.

Also, I think I liked the Predator and the Newborn from Alien Resurrection. The Newborn is cute, disgusting and badass at the same time and I love that, while the Predator is <<one ugly motherf***er>> (maybe censoring the word again isn't needed, but whatever).

Finally add some Doctor Who characters. I would say I like the idea behind the Cybermen, both in the old and new series.

Unfortunately, almost all of these characters have been featured in recent reboots, remakes or something like that (when will they stop butchering fun films is beyond me).

John Carpenters - The Thing

This is hands down my number 1 monster. The very design and concept is truly nightmarish and allows for unlimited imagination for what shapes and forms it can turn into, each very disturbing. The sky is the limit, or morso bad writing and management is (the latest movie has major disappointments).

Now I love the Xenomorph, it's definitely one of the best to date. Its mysterious background, the monster design, the hive system etc is all great. But I must admit to something, I no longer find it creepy nor scary and I also don't find the classic movie tropes (Chest Buster Scenes, Alien Kill Scenes etc) exciting to watch anymore. I need something new and original (or delivered in a unique way) that still pays respect to the law and homage of Aliens.

The Predator is a unique design I like and still holds lots of mystery

Not my highest choice as I'm not a big fan of "I kill for honor and challenge" traits but it still is a great "monster" for its creative design of face and weaponry.