Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Don't you have a feeling that you keep running into same people here on Doomworld?

Topic title length aside, what gives that I often recognize pretty much everyone who replies to threads, while I won't give out names, I am sure that some people will agree, and by extension, recognize me even.

So? *title question here*

It's easy recognize those who comment threads very often. I can even found some people from here in facebook. That's how everything happens in life. You just got familiar with forum and started notice people here. 

Doomworld isn't made up of millions of users like say Facebook or twitter, and also not all of those registered accounts actively post. After you post here for a while its pretty common to run into people that you've previously seen post.

Some people are simply interacting more than others, for better or for worse is subject to the eye of the beholder. Basically, the more active posters, which probably includes yours truly, are more visible, thus it seems as if you keep running into them/us more frequently. You may or may not notice that, depending on the topic in question, these "more visual" posters also change, since everybody has topics of varying personal preference/relevance.

Step 1: Think of an answer to the thread, based on the title.

Step 2: Open thread and go for a reply.

Step 3: See NIH and others posting what you wanted to write, way better than you would have done.

Step 4: Like dem posts and exit thread.   :-)

No not really. Some people are just more active than others, or are like me and don't even think before posting and then look at the post 2 hours later and wince at how poorly written it is.

Doomworld is a relatively small place with like 80 people online at the time, compared to e.g. Facepunch with about 2000 people online. And even there you have your "usual suspects", my guess is it's just because forums are kind of a "dying" species with social networks, kinda like IRC got replaced for many by MSN and then Skype, nowadays propably Discord.

I kinda like the communal feel from seeing recognisable posters; gives the avatar/username combo more character per user - for better or worse.

We all know by now from experience (to cite three examples right off the top of my head) Maes is argumentative, Goatlord's the stoner (or at least *hits blunt* a fair amount), Tarnsman's a contrarian sort, et cetera et cetera. Pretty useful to be able to gauge the relevance to one's own preferences or opinions based on the typical forum behaviour.

And yes, Battle_Kirby. I recognise you, mainly as a rather keen/excitable newbie. May your ardour and passion last as you mature (or at least your DW presence does). :)

uh, Hi guys how's things going?

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to hear that you see consistent posters. It's almost as if this is a community, carrying common characteristics complementary to conventional communities as conceptualized by a consensus not contrary to concrete concepts of communal clubs.

w_o_w

I've noticed that whenever I visit a forum fairly regularly, whether I'm participating or not, I recognize avatars way before I recognize names. And then someone changes their avatar and I have no clue who they are.

There's a number of people I've met online whether through online games or forums or whatever that I've known for 10+ years and keep in touch with yet have never met in person. It's a really cool and slightly bizarre way to network looking back.

I regret to inform you that I do indeed believe that you are actually in a coma and we are just extensions of your subconscious.

WAKE UP

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

It's almost as if this is a community, carrying common characteristics complementary to conventional communities as conceptualized by a consensus not contrary to concrete concepts of communal clubs.

w_o_w

Holy shit, that's an alliteration from hell

I'm not sure what you mean. People are bound to recognise other people if they communicate regularly. Here in the forums, there are thousands of registered members, of which only a small portion actively post. I recognise you for the crazy fan fiction you tend to write between-the-lines or as the main subject. There's also a good chance that people who are active will have a larger amount of "Followers", for mostly obvious reasons.

People (specifically in Doomworld) like @scifista42, @Maes, @fraggle, @Linguica(sometimes, from my experience) and so on, tend to be recognised as people with the technical know-how of the Doom engine, and usually help those in need for such topics (eg "My Chocolate Doom isn't compiling" "How do I make a switch open 2 doors" etc).

There are many mappers, modders, musicians etc. here too, most I don't remember because there's so many.

But people like @Nine Inch Heels are the kind you don't see everyday. Very active and her posts tend to be thorough and consistent, even if they're only a few words.

*Respect*

Decay doesn't dislike disembowelling Doomers due to his discontent with dumbness. Dreadful duty, but done diligently despite the draining drawbacks.

Try browsing a different section of the forums. Some people only hang out in certain sections

5 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

what gives that I often recognize pretty much everyone who replies to threads

I've never seen you before in my life.

I've just visited this page that sorts DW members by the total number of likes their posts got from others, and scrolled through the first pages (24 people displayed per page). I've found out that I recognize completely everybody on the first 3 pages and almost everybody on pages 4-16. The first page where the number of people whom I didn't recognize came close to 50% (12 people out of 24) was only around page 17.

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

I've just visited this page that sorts DW members by the total number of likes their posts got from others

So basically, it's the leaderboards page.

I happen to see lots of frequent posters, most of which posted on this thread. No Trace or Linguica as of yet but a common bunch nonetheless.

Edited by Chezza

small world phenomena. additionally, your identity within the forum (e.g. interests & posting habits) makes it feel even smaller.

Doomworld: Where everybody knows your name... and hates your face.

I have a condition that makes me periodically forget everyone I've met on the forum. It's basically like a "50 first posts" situation.

This also explains the quality of said posts.

6 hours ago, geo said:

Doomworld: Where everybody knows your name... and hates your face.

I'm under the impression that nobody really cares for my name nor posts, but absolutely adores the caco avatar. It all works out then, I guess. ;)