Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

SECOND OPINION: The Flawed, Outdated, Not-Very-Fun Original Doom

This guy couldn't possibly be more wrong on so many things, to the point of blatant defamation. Nice clickbait asshole!

Apparently he also recorded a bunch of clickbaits about other video games, a great way to harvest views is to have a video about a controversial opinion I guess.

The title is pretty sad clickbait. Nearly on par with these sort of people who fake dying in front of their own mother as some sort of "hilarious" prank. It's all about the views ($$$). Internet whores, these folks are.

Anyway, without Doom 1 there wouldn't be a Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia, PWADS... why stick "flawed" and "outdated" in the title about one of the most important games in FPS history?

Edited by RUSH

Its the opinion of someone who doesn't fully understand the game. Funny he says UDoom ammo starves you, I thought it gave enough for anyone ever.

So, some guy decided to shit on my favourite game of all time and didn't even get his facts straight.

Really??? I won't even try to justify why he is mostly wrong. Sure, he has some good points in some moments of the video, but they are so few and far between and I particularly don't agree with one thing he said, which I have to talk about:

Telling me Doom 2 is better than Doom 1? An acceptable opinion, which I don't share, to be honest (each game has its powers and weaknesses). Telling me Doom 64 is better than Doom 1? Maybe he liked the creepy atmosphere more, although Doom 1 has, in my opinion, the best level design in an id's Doom game and it's atmosphere still holds up many decades after its original release. BUT YOU HAD THE BALLS TO TELL ME DOOM 3 IS BETTER THAN DOOM 1 AND YOU WANT ME TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY AFTER THAT????? Sure, Doom 3 is easily the scariest game in the franchise, but being scary is not the main point of Doom. And it was very slow as a game, trading the huge arena areas with tight corridors and the metal-atmospheric soundtrack with nothing at all, IIRC. And I still can't say that it is a bad game or that I don't like it (in fact, it is what got me into Doom, so it has a very special place in my heart), but it detracts heavily from the <<Doom formula>>, which makes me want to see it as a whole different game (I enjoy it as a horror game, similarly to when I play Amnesia).

Plus, I got bored of him talking about pistol killing Cacos. Relax dude. It was one moment out of a thousand in that episode.

That is what I wanted to say or else I would have exploded. And I wanted so badly to talk about the whole video, but I have already written a 600 word essay in the morning, so JUST NOOOOOOO!!!

P.S.: At least he likes Wormhole as a map, which I loved, although I played it like a week ago.

Final Verdict: Shame on him for making a video like this and saying he likes to play Doom.

I think you guys are letting a clickbait title get you more up-in-arms than you need to be. I couldn't find anything that's inherently wrong with what he said other than his statement about ammo. His opinions are actually very reasonable and I bet this discussion would look very different if the title weren't so inflammatory.

13 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

So, some guy decided to shit on my favourite game of all time and didn't even get his facts straight.

Really??? I won't even try to justify why he is mostly wrong. Sure, he has some good points in some moments of the video, but they are so few and far between and I particularly don't agree with one thing he said, which I have to talk about:

Telling me Doom 2 is better than Doom 1? An acceptable opinion, which I don't share, to be honest (each game has its powers and weaknesses). Telling me Doom 64 is better than Doom 1? Maybe he liked the creepy atmosphere more, although Doom 1 has, in my opinion, the best level design in an id's Doom game and it's atmosphere still holds up many decades after its original release. BUT YOU HAD THE BALLS TO TELL ME DOOM 3 IS BETTER THAN DOOM 1 AND YOU WANT ME TO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY AFTER THAT????? Sure, Doom 3 is easily the scariest game in the franchise, but being scary is not the main point of Doom. And it was very slow as a game, trading the huge arena areas with tight corridors and the metal-atmospheric soundtrack with nothing at all, IIRC. And I still can't say that it is a bad game or that I don't like it (in fact, it is what got me into Doom, so it has a very special place in my heart), but it detracts heavily from the <<Doom formula>>, which makes me want to see it as a whole different game (I enjoy it as a horror game, similarly to when I play Amnesia).

Plus, I got bored of him talking about pistol killing Cacos. Relax dude. It was one moment out of a thousand in that episode.

That is what I wanted to say or else I would have exploded. And I wanted so badly to talk about the whole video, but I have already written a 600 word essay in the morning, so JUST NOOOOOOO!!!

P.S.: At least he likes Wormhole as a map, which I loved, although I played it like a week ago.

Final Verdict: Shame on him for making a video like this and saying he likes to play Doom.

Show me where on the doll HPPT hurt you.

Edited by Marnetstapler

14 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Its the opinion of someone who doesn't fully understand the game. Funny he says UDoom ammo starves you, I thought it gave enough for anyone ever.

But Doom 2 has more monsters! And a new shotgun! Therefore Doom 1 is completely outdated by comparison. It's severely flawed, and not-very-fun. Thanks for commenting, please leave a like and subscribe.

Also lol, 5:30 in that video "buy the later episodes that are actually fun". Ah, the burn. Romero Episode 1 just got shat on. This guy is funny, he's probably jerking off to all the hate comments right about now.

It's a just a silly person getting money for a stupid video. I don't even need to watch it and nor to do.

Don't give them extra views and just let them be dumb on their own. :)

20 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

When I used to play like a dummy some years ago, I only encountered an ammo problem on Slaugh of Despair and Containment area's beginning, because I didn't conserve my ammo enough and instead spammed my guns a lot. So yeah, it gives you more than enough ammo as a game.

12 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

12 minutes ago, Marnetstapler said:

Show me where on the doll HPPT hurt you.

I don't understand what HPPT means. Could you explain?

Also, I have never seen this meme again in my life.

EDIT: Just now I saw his channel name. Nevermind.

I thought the video was fine, he had a concrete argument based on straightforward points. People are allowed to disagree with you, you know.

So,this chubby looking guy with weird glases,outfit,who uses Nirvana logo font tells us that Doom is outdated. Interesting. He should be proud of himself. 

20 minutes ago, RUSH said:

Romero Episode 1 just got shat on.

Thats another thing I thought was funny, E1 is what I thought was widely considered the best episode of UDoom. These are some of UDoom's best levels. Many people agree that UDoom had better levels (Minus the best ones he cherry picked XD) Then Doom 2 over all. I get this dude has an opinion, but he acts like it's absolute.

Here, let me attract your attention to this video that I find to be a horrible clickbait with wrong opinions. Please watch it to confirm that you too think that it's a bad clickbait video that doesn't deserve getting more views. Spread the word!

:p

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

Here, let me attract your attention to this video that I find to be a horrible clickbait with wrong opinions. Please watch it to confirm that you too think that it's a bad clickbait video that doesn't deserve getting more views. Spread the word!

:p

Let's not give them any more attention than they deserve. Which is to say none.

I'm not too bothered, you'd be bound to find people who dislike a lot of nice things. As long as I'm still allowed to like the things I like I'm fine and dandy.

Besides, everyone already knows Doom 64 was the better doom game.

3 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Thats another thing I thought was funny, E1 is what I thought was widely considered the best episode of UDoom. These are some of UDoom's best levels. Many people agree that UDoom had better levels (Minus the best ones he cherry picked XD) Then Doom 2 over all. I get this dude has an opinion, but he acts like it's absolute.

Clickbait title aside, he makes some good points. Still I agree, the E1 thing seems exaggerated. E1 was the driving factor that made Doom such a fun, iconic success in the first place. How can you dismiss that fact? Sure it was free shareware, but the game wouldn't have taken off and become so insanely popular if people didn't find the maps and gameplay addicting. Hence why people went on to buy the later episodes... they wouldn't do that if the first episode sucked, lol.

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

E3 and E4 definitely starve you on HMP and UV in the early levels but if you're careful and patient, you'll manage.

I did like the bit at 6:38 where he's punching a Demon while saying there's hardly any ammo, even though he can use the Shotgun he has ammo for instead :p

Also him mentioning Doom 64 at the end in regards to atmosphere makes me wonder what he would think about PSX Doom.

3 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

E3 and E4 definitely starve you on HMP and UV in the early levels but if you're careful and patient, you'll manage.

Especially E3M1 it is (for the most part) a pistol only level and depending on how you strategize, you can actually run out of pistol ammo shooting at the two Cacodemons in the first part. 

9 minutes ago, RUSH said:

he makes some good points.

There are some good points I feel when looking at the additions of what Doom 2 brings, Kinda why everyone maps for D2 rather than D1. I disagree about his ammo comment though, heavily. Having less ammo mean prioritizing what you use against certain enemies, theres more thinking to it than "shoot it untill it's dead". I mean, if we give the player enough rocket ammo to Demolish a whole mapset, what challange is that? Should you get enough bullets the stunlock almost every encounter? Should we throw two boxes of shells and a SSG So you can carve though everything like a turkey cutter? Ammo management is something that is essentual to me when it comes to doom, To take that aspect away takes away a good chunk of the "game". Thats just the way I see it.

I think whether you agree with him or not depends on what you really want out of Doom. If complicated combat scenarios are the most important thing to you, then you'll probably agree 100%. If being immersed in atmospheric locations and engaging with intricate and interesting map layouts is your favorite aspect of Doom with combat being of equal or even lesser concern, then not so much. Personally I used to like Doom 1 more, but now appreciate them both equally (map24 can still go fuck itself though). Doom II is certainly a better platform for custom maps though, as it contains all the features Doom 1 has and then some, and trying to make a difficult Doom 1 map usually involves either fucking the player over on purpose (massive ammo starvation, traps where the player is forced to soak a lot of damage by monsters boxing him in), hitscanner abuse, or a tedious grind through hordes of high-hitpoint bullet sponges, and you're really better off making a Doom II map if you want to seriously challenge the player.

E: I do think he's wrong to criticize E1 for being easy though. It is true that it is very easy on UV and just about the easiest FPS campaign ever made on HNTR, but it was made for people who had never played a first-person action game before, which is a really difficult thing to learn from scratch, especially for adults (who were the target audience of Doom). All the Call of Duties and Battlefields and other disposable modern FPS games assume you have some basic idea how an FPS game works (lazily implemented useless tutorial sections aside), Doom was a game where people going in had no reference points, except Wolfenstein 3D if they were lucky, and furthermore, did not have WASD controls, mouselook, or even novert, and sometimes they didn't even have mice. E1 had to be that easy.

Edited by Woolie Wool

12 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Especially E3M1 it is (for the most part) a pistol only level and depending on how you strategize, you can actually run out of pistol ammo shooting at the two Cacodemons in the first part. 

Open the door, lure the cacos out/trigger infight with the imps, go to the left, run on the crumbling pathway, you get a shotgun and then you can blast the imps and make your way back to the beginning to clear out the cacos and imps.

On that run you can see the pistol is only used to wake up monsters and help set up some infighting. All actual fighting is done with the shotgun. If you're not trying to optimize a speedrun, you wouldn't need to use the pistol at all.

21 minutes ago, DoctorGenesis said:

Looks like somebody missed the shotgun...

No I know where the Shotgun is (extremely easy to find btw) I'm just speaking from a first time run or whatever. I'm pretty good at Doom 1, I even played it on UV 100℅ in two hours and a half one day.