Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Session 3 - Third on the 3rd! /idgames

EAGLE SPEEDMAPPING SESSION 3 - THIRD ON THE 3RD!

I swear that that wasn't intentional :D

Will be held on the 3th June, 2017.

BASIC RULES:

- You'll have 2 hours to finish the map, however the borderline is 3 hours if your project is that ambitious

- The maps should be Boom compatible and playable in -complevel 9 in order to increase flexibility. You don't have to use Boom actions if you don't want to.

- You'll get three themes when the session starts to ensure fair play. The bonus, last session will also contain a bonus theme

- You'll need to incorporate at least one theme in your map (I'm looking at you, everennui)

COMBINABLE THEMES! Following the even worse themes I announced last time, this session will feature themes that you can actually combine well in the map itself.

So, the first session will be held on 7:00 am UTC (New York is UTC-4 so take that as an example) and the second session will be held on 7:00 pm UTC!

for navigation - http://everytimezone.com

I hope you'll enjoy and come back for more next month!

I've finally got my act together and sent this to the archives, so here it is: 

If there are any gamebreaking bugs please let know!

Edited by NaZa : pre-release

And to think that I'll be able to participate in both sessions myself... I can't wait. I guess that makes up for me missing out on the debut speedmapping session.

And about the themes, they won't be too complicated and too loose and you'll actually be able to combine them, unlike the last two sessions!

I probably won't have much going on that day, so pencil me in. Pretty fine pencil though, just to save disappointment when I get pulled away at the last minute.

Nice to see people participating and not abandoning these sessions after two train wreck sessions! Trust me, th this one will be better than the other ones.

After some thought, I probably won't be able to participate in the latter session because I need to have some sleep for the day after but we'll see. I hope I can. 

Yeyyy! I want to participate! But I would advice to avoid broken maps. Last Eagle was with a map with no ending :(

How can I do a Boom compatible? I am using Doom Builder.

That map was dealt with and edited properly. 

You can make your map Boom compatible by selecting "Boom" when starting a new map. (Doom Builder 2)

3rd June is in two weeks, where did May go?

2 hours ago, FuzzballFox said:

We'll see if I can not give up this time :(

Me too, heh.

(I did start an E2 map, but it sucked, then I started an E3 one that ended up being a bunch of 1024-tall sectors saying "THIS SUX". Hopefully I can make an actual map this time...)

5 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

compactible 

You do know that the proper spelling is "compatible", right? Heh, you really could use a new dictionary. :]

Thanks for correcting me lol, I'm still learning English by the road (I'm not a native English speaker). I was 100% sure it was compactible. 

Have everything put together in clear, concise language well beforehand and place it into the original post as well as new ones.

I'm in, seems fun.

I think I can only make it to the second session though.

Been wanting to try one of these ever since I heard the interview with Jimmy on Doom Radio. I assume this is n00b-friendly? I've been dicking around with mapmaking since the DEU era, but never made a serious attempt to really finish a map. Should be able to do second session.

One and a half days. Yes I'm impatient too... especially because I have to make up some good themes this time or this project will become a trainwreck 

To get this straight - 11 more hours! The themes are ready!

I hate triple-posting

So it's one hour later than last time? That works a bit better for me.

I'll try to take part on the second session, it was very rare that I was able to be there on the first one before.

I won't be participating in this one; I'm going to be quite busy tomorrow so I won't have the time to take part at all. I might consider breaking my temporary Doom wad hiatus to stream the finished wad again though, since I've quite enjoyed this monthly series so far.

That's a shame @Suitepee but I hope that you will play the compiled version! Just notify me when it starts so that I don't miss it again.

One hour remains.

THEMES:

- Only use walkover triggers
- 70 monsters at most
- No ammo or weapons except plasma gun and energy cells - this rules out Berserk Packs, Chainsaws, Zombiemen, Nazis, Chaingunners and Sergeants

7:42 AM UTC - I've quit mapping because my inspiration dried up, besides I could only work an hour bc I need to go somewhere in an hour anyway.

Edited by DoomLover234

Too late for this morning, but i've probably do something on this evening session... probably.

Anyway, nice themes!

Looking forward to the evening themes (these are separate right?). I think I have juuuust enough time to put a few final touches on this "oh yeah what is boom compatible again?" practice map, which has taken on QUITE a life of its own 

There are the three previous themes plus one bonus theme so the wad still feels like a cohesive whole

i'm a tad bit disappointed that there were no maps in the first session...

The three themes up there + a bonus theme I'll announce in 11 minutes.

THE SECOND SESSION IS NOW!

Refresher:

- Only use walkover triggers
- 70 monsters at most
- No ammo or weapons except plasma gun and energy cells - this rules out Berserk Packs, Chainsaws, Zombiemen, Nazis, Chaingunners and Sergeants

BONUS: Health is only present via health bonuses - no berserks, supercharges, megaspheres, medkits and stimpacks.

You can come here to chat: https://discordapp.com/channels/310478220157779968/310478220157779968

Cool, let's start and probably give up once more.

BTW is it ok if there's no health at all?

edit:

1 hour ago, DoomLover234 said:

I just can't speedmap. I lost inspiration instantly. Maybe I should just give up on Doom because I hit a very extreme Mapper's Block.

Don't worry about that, you'll recover eventually and come back stronger than ever. It happened to me... but without the stronger part.

-------

UPDATE:

haven't given up yet; Doom 2 textures suck

---------

update2:

oh boooooooooy

-------

update3:

45 mins left, I'm cracking mom jokes with a buddy, congrats me

not giving up though

Edited by bzzrak

Yeah, it's OK.

I just can't speedmap. I lost inspiration instantly. Maybe I should just give up on Doom because I hit a very extreme Mapper's Block.