Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xindage

Rework in FreeDM maps

On 3/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, Xindage said:

is it the final version of map? if yes i'll introduce in the main post.

Yes, unless someone finds an issue with it, but it all seems good.

Please use the version attached here (I made some changes to the exit room and also corrected wrong textures on the rocks):

map08_11.zip

Edited by axdoom1 : Upload new version of the map

Yet another update.

Change log

-Added a shotgun near the south entrance of the west area.

-Changed a SSG for a chaingun in the east inside the corner enclave of the wall, because there was too much SSGs on the same side of the map. 

map08_12.zip

Are the new maps routinely added to the repo? I think we can get lots of testing done, but should/need to use a repo build. 

33 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

DM01 (Some potential names)

- AGM Garrison

- the Confluence of War

- the Battlefront

- Under Siege

- Jade Station

- Industrial Complex

- Battle Station

- Biology Labs

- Terraforming Post

- Death Beckons

- Condemned to Death

DM04 (a few more ideas)

- the Great Collapse 

- Satyr Canyon Station

- Southern Titan Base

- the Corrupted Forge

- Halls of the Depraved

- the Transformer Coil

- the Substation

- the Radiation Source 

You never fail to disappoint me.

8 minutes ago, Catoptromancy said:

Are the new maps routinely added to the repo? I think we can get lots of testing done, but should/need to use a repo build. 

Unfortunately, no. From what I know, @Xindage wants all the maps to be finished first then commited as a whole. Speaking of testing, I don't think many playtesters are here other @Xindage and @axdoomer. More playtesters might be attracted here if all those maps were in a single PWAD.

I'd like them to be added to the repo ASAP. They are finished as far as I know. 

Maps 01-16 and map 31. 

compilation.zip

EDIT: Redownload if you downloaded mine. Map08 was missing. 

Edited by axdoomer

FreeDM Rework PWAD

From map01 to map16, and map31.

Note: map16 doesnt have singleplayer starts. Warp to that map in deathmatch mode.

Edited by Voros

Map08 even has TWO chainsaws.  ;-)

I tried every of them just now and Map 11 is unfinished. It has no deathmatch start and no item, except the Player 1 start. 

dm01's transformation is perfect. Before, it always reminded me of Doom 2's map01, but now it's something more unique.

dm15 is simply beautiful.

Hi i am posting to make catoptromancy happy

basing this off FRDMRWK.wad

These maps are very Doomworld; DM maps made by people who don't play DM. Consequently, these maps are not very good.

general advice: you need ssg spawns. stop doing just shotgun spawns. Learn to balance them because just shotgun spawns suck. Plus, for instance in map03 when you have 2 SG spawns beside a SSG spawn, gee I wonder who is going to win that skirmish.

Cool missing textures though I didn't run it with freedoom because i wasn't told this until after

map01: doortrak needs unpegging. the only exit without a chainsaw? consistency. Get rid of the alcove for the shotgun spawns, allow them to be free moving. remove the berserk, it's not really needed. Your should probably have more stair entrances into the main middle room from the north, you could try moving the green armour structure over to the rl window and make a wide open door where the small door is instead (and move that rl.

map02: too small in all regards, no defining features of the map. The spawns are terrible (my first spawn in the map was facing a wall)

map03: teleport destination on a rocket launcher? WHY. Oh check it out a SSG spawn FACING the destination! poor guy.

map04: this map sucks.  Don't use alcove spawns that is a recipe for disaster. the only ssg on a moving lift? bad, replace it with something worthwhile. No real "focal points" other than that shitty ssg lift area. Re-doing the item placement might save the map, ie bfg on that lift, 75% ssg spawns, and very little health around the map to get everybody in that one general area to fight/guard the bfg or flee in the hallways.

map05: too many spawns out in the middle. all those people are going to get wrecked by whoever gets the ssg as well. any good player will lockdown that middle area no problem. honestly a bfg where the soulsphere is would probably be better and putting the soulsphere either where the green armour is or removed from the map would be good.

map06: all ssg spawns except for 1 poor guy with a sg spawn. get rekt. fix the item placement. South east dead end drop off makes no sense, either put a power weapon/item there and remove the spawn or add stairs or something. Big door you can't open? That's a no-no. That's a lot of work for a plasma gun. change that to a bfg and put a plasma somewhere else or something because that's terrible for flow.

map07: all ssg spawns except for 1 PISTOL SPAWN THAT HAS TO MOVE FORWARD TO GET A CHAINGUN. who is responsible for this travesty. Did I go up all those crates for a medikit? What a waste, put a soulsphere there. Crate maze bullshit, plasma lift is stupid, a shotgun nobody is going to use, this map sucks and can't be made good sorry. Dead simple? Too simple.

map08: The map has 4 pistol spawns and 1 ssg spawn! these are the worst spawn placements i have seen in years! jesus christ dude. Super tight stairs make them wider, nice architecture to get caught up on, very small map, plasma lift ugh, this map is pretty bad.

map09: little doorway in northeast should be widened. that stupid drop off ledge by the shit-pit in the middle should have stairs, that is a CRAZY amount of going out the way for the bfg lift which isn't very good to start with, green armour is given way too much credit, put a blue armour or soulsphere there instead, on the west side move the spawns away from the walls and put impass lines so you don't get caught up on it,  carve a hallway out of the exit room to the western hallway, the doorway to the northern shitpit should be widened all the way and add more stairs this is dm not sp you need flow, axe the southern most hallway and teleport, it's completely unneeded and the map is already getting on too big. for all its flaws this is probably the map with the most potential so far

map10: i may have been too quick to say map with most potential this could be it. the torch in the eastern most hallway needs to be put in a wall or removed, the rocket launcher spawn needs to be removed but the rl could probably stay, though plasma in that position is better because rockets would be suicide and that's just stupid, i'm not sure why someone thought a ssg spawn in the middle of a hallway was a good idea, it isn't, chaingun spawn in the red rock is going to get rekt, balance the spawns better, that chaingun overlooking the green armour might be better off as PR/RL/SSG, green armour better off as soulsphere, get rid of that pillar sitting in the way by that chaingun, replace that backpack with a GA and place a GA in the northern side of the map as well

ok that's my good deed for the day enjoy your feedback maybe give me some feedback someday

Edited by Decay : map01 and map04

DM10
Considering it was a quick map made by somebody whom hasn't made a dm map before, I really didn't have too much of a clue on weapon and item placement initially.

i need to hurry up my computer and get everything ready to i get back to mapping, looks like there's so much going on since my last touch... :\ sorry but i'll take time anyway...

@Decay feedback ia a true slap in the face but its perfectly fit, it can make it more better (competitive?) dont see it by the wrong side dude, i find your comments very acceptable indeed ;)

Probably i need to take in account the decay feedback and voltcon names has a priority for these already done maps and them finishem them upon all this, we can have a good set by it, anyway decay i'm not going to remove dm02 yet since we have nothing better to replace it yet.

Edited by Xindage : More consistency

I know I'm a few days late but as a rule of thumb, listen to DM feedback from Decay. Every time I have my maps have ended up tenfold better to play.

Since i'm testing myself whit decay's feedback dm01 was modified, again.

If possible @Decay review it just for i know if everything is going right.

-> Enjoyed the initial edits to fix misalined textures.

-> Fixed bad texturing near bfg teleport.

-> Stairs near everywhere.

-> Rocket launcher in windows was moved to outside in a corner.

-> Green armor is where rocket launcher is, the base itself was enlaged to outside.

-> The green armor "structure" was removed.

-> The small hole in the wall is now a wide door and can be crossed from both sides.

-> Beserk was replaced by Medpack.

-> Shotgun closets was removed, players spot was moved around.

-> Rocket launcher teleport room and base was fully removed.

-> Bfg room teleport slight modified.

-> Shotguns changed by Super Shotguns.

-> Few layout edits in the way (more free movement).

-> There's other minor stuff of i dont need to tell here.

http://www.geocities.ws/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDM/dm01.wad

DM01_S1.png
DM01_S2.png

Much better; I like how that shaped up. Instead of screwing around and wasting time trying to be super specific in further suggestions, I made some alterations in the weapon placements/spawns to prevent an "all ssg spawn" fest while also maintaining a good balance of ssg spawns, ssg visibility, etc. Use this item layout or draw inspiration from it, your call https://www.sendspace.com/file/rp48nr

Dude there's something of really called my attention in your edit, why every actor (i mean every obeject) was moved to north by 8 pixels? is that intentional too? its just an ask.

Miscelanium: i think of its not necessary to set the objects of the map to dm only too.

Edited by Xindage

Whoops, didn't notice everything was shifted up. It wasn't letting me save in the original file, so I had to copy-paste everything over into a new file. Basically just giving you the general impression though. As for the flags, I never map in Boom so I just assumed it needed the multiplayer flags set to work in multiplayer and opening the file accidentally reset it.

this mapping was in vannila mode (gzdoom builder think of its still boom for some reason).

well no poblem them, i'll fix it and post it maybe tommorow.

On 07/05/2017 at 0:29 PM, Decay said:

map09: little doorway in northeast should be widened. that stupid drop off ledge by the shit-pit in the middle should have stairs, that is a CRAZY amount of going out the way for the bfg lift which isn't very good to start with, green armour is given way too much credit, put a blue armour or soulsphere there instead, on the west side move the spawns away from the walls and put impass lines so you don't get caught up on it,  carve a hallway out of the exit room to the western hallway, the doorway to the northern shitpit should be widened all the way and add more stairs this is dm not sp you need flow, axe the southern most hallway and teleport, it's completely unneeded and the map is already getting on too big. for all its flaws this is probably the map with the most potential so far

Sorry to busy you but @Decay when i was analizing (tranlating too) this part of your feedback more deeply while i was editing the map i found few things of i'd like to clarify.

if the green armor already given much credit why put something already most valuable? (it was what i got after tranlating)

dig thru the exit place to add more stairs? (if yes i'll move the exit to somewhere else)

well if i cut the teleport corridor what i should do whit the beserk? remove too?

also i removed bfg by the way since it's hard to get.

What I mean is:

The author thinks the green armour is more powerful than it actually is. Going so far out of the way to get it does not make sense. A better item would be a better choice.

Yes for the exit place, dig through it.

Yes, remove berserk, not needed.

BFG should stay, think of another way to balance it though.

6 hours ago, Decay said:

The author thinks the green armour is more powerful than it actually is.

i hope the author notices it the next time. (better i be more carefull the next time ^^)

Since it had no replies here comes a triple post. (main post updated)

DM04 - Minor layout change and reworked spawns

(edit)DM05 - Reworked weapon placement.

DM21 - Major rework

> Replaced outside and removed few details to save from VPO

> Reworked interior of base.

> Removed the lower pit for extra flow.

> Reworked items/spawn/weapons placements.

http://www.geocities.ws/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDM/dm04.wad

http://www.geocities.ws/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDM/dm05.wad

http://www.geocities.ws/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDM/dm21.wad

DM04_S1.pngDM04_S2.pngDM21_S1.pngDM21_S2.png

Edited by Xindage

Well guys, i want to say few things after reworking in the maps i noticed lots of freedm maps are actually terrible (most yet after looking at decay's advices).

Idk if my reworking can save all of them, for example in my opnion only 35% of freedm maps is saveable, so what you guys have in mind to suggest, what we can do to this project, whitch maps are good or bad taking in mind the already updated maps too, so lets work togheter on this a little?

Maybe a fresh start is all you need, explore some new ideas, follow a consistent theme. Salvage that 35% and throw the rest if you believe they can't be used.

i'm not so creative for me do a map it takes like 1 week and for a good one like a mounth (aside from my pile of crap wads of i do at random moments and i save them for somewhat reason)

Are they still better than the current maps? If you believe yes, then they should be pushed into FreeDM. When we'll replace them, they will be put into the attic, so at least they will be saved for history. 

8 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Are they still better than the current maps? If you believe yes.

nope the're just dummy sectors (one of them is just a L shape whit few cages around it), actualy that dm11 was one of my wads of i see be usefull.

On 23.05.2017 at 3:36 PM, Xindage said:

Idk if my reworking can save all of them, for example in my opnion only 35% of freedm maps is saveable

I think that you should divide maps in 3 categories:

1) Saveable

2) Maybe saveable

3) Probably will be wasted time

Then you should work on first on saveable maps, while collecting opinions on second two categories, as maybe someone actually has ideas how to salvage these maps, what to replace those maps with, etc.