Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Make ugly WAD into great WAD Megawad

We make ugly WAD great again!!!

To do: You need search on doom Idgame a ugly/terrible or troll looking WAD and make this into good looking and playable. You able add something, but concept should approximately equal.

This is just a idea and I would know, who interested it in? :) But I will not be leader of a topic.... :/

So, like the 1994 tune-up project but for bad maps?

Sounds cool! But for what iwad (I think the usual doom 2)? For what port? And it will use new textures or will use the stock textures?

8 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

So, like the 1994 tune-up project but for bad maps?

Sounds cool! But for what iwad (I think the usual doom 2)? For what port? And it will use new textures or will use the stock textures?

Not only these 1994 tune-up projects. You able collect 1 level WAD bad looking map and make great.

Port: Better Doom 2, Boom or GZdoom. Able use new texture :) 

And dont forget to mention the name of the WAD, that you taked and created :)

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

Joke: community project - someone make my maps for me

Woke: someone make my community project for me

7 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Joke: community project - someone make my maps for me

Woke: someone make my community project for me

What do you want say? :) I want know how big is a interest about this idea.

Another idea : Transform Terry wads to playable maps.

First off you must ask the authors permission to do so,  which will be hard because most of "ugly bad" mapa are from the 90's,  and 95% of the emails won't function. 

8 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

First off you must ask the authors permission to do so,  which will be hard because most of "ugly bad" mapa are from the 90's,  and 95% of the emails won't function. 

Yes, author right is a problem... Can somehow avoiding? For example, the reason that is this WAD is unpopular, not played etc :/

17 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

... And I can just imagine the reaction when someone receives a random email, "Hey, we're trying to fix up hopelessly ugly WADs, and the one you made when you were 15 has made the list!" XD

22 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Another idea : Transform Terry wads to playable maps.

Or this -- terry mappers have no rights. ;-)

13 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

Quite a few .readmes state that authors may use the contents of the file in question as a base for modification or reuse. Which from my point of view means: You can use assets like textures if you want, but you also are allowed to modify the .WAD in question to your liking. Unless my interpretation of these readmes is based on wishful thinking, author's permissions might be pretty much a non-issue in many cases.

Of course it would be the least bit of common courtesy to state that, whatever you use as a base for modification, has been made by somebody else, and the actual final product is "merely" an overhaul of an older project to begin with.

All that being said, I think it might be interesting to see a side by side comparison of any given map that was modified in some way. So, assuming this idea would be going somewhere, including the original .WAD as a basis for this comparison could be interesting, after all.

12 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

All of the Doom Maximum wads...you can start from there...

Not all Maximum Doom wads are bad. Some of them are good and need some makeovers and they'll serve for good. For example check wad "xcalib11.wad" in Maximum Doom "doom1" folder. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

50 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Not all Maximum Doom wads are bad. Some of them are good and need some makeovers and they'll serve for good. For example check wad "xcalib11.wad" in Maximum Doom "doom1" folder. 

Yes. Heck, you can make 5 megawads out of it...

1 hour ago, DoomLover234 said:

Just use any map that have the "Authors MAY use these levels..." in the permission section at the bootom of the readme text file, like this:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/mattpack

I see, there are some interest. Should I or other person open new community thread about this "Make ugly WAD into great WAD Megawad"? If I, what should I know before open community? This will my first time make community

Well, I guess the question is who is going to keep this whole thing on track and whatnot. So before opening up anything, someone should at least be willing to bite the bullet and monitor the whole thing.

I'd also argue that's probably best not to delve into GZDoom mapping, if you want to get any results in a timely fashion. Overhauls based on Boom should allow for more than enough creative leeway. However Boom/GZDoom and whatnot is also something that first should be agreed upon, by at least a few people.

In addition to the mapping format, there also needs to be a general concensus about difficulty. Most people won't want another chillax or Tarakannik, let alone map for that. So my advice would be aiming for a difficulty that is in line skillsaw's ancient aliens, for example.

You also need to set up some parameters in regards to presentation: For instance, mappers should mention their "base-map" when they start working, and include a direct link to the idgames archives for reference.

If anybody has anything to add to that, I guess now's the best time to do it.

I like the idea of making terry wads playable. I remember seeing a lot that started off looking really promising, until the usual bullshit kicked in.

Alright, in hopes of getting this thing on the road, because I'm curious to see how it turns out, I made a list of conditions I would deem reasonable:

Spoiler

-Project title: "Recycled2017"

-Mappers of any skill level are welcome to join in. In case you've quite a bit of experience with mapping but don't feel like doing an overhaul, please consider teaming up with a less experienced mapper and share some of your thoughts and expertise.

-Minimum number of participants: 10 people should be enough to justify putting this up

-Maps allowed per participant: 1 min - 3 max

-IWAD: Doom 2

-Mapping format: Boom

-Deadline: no more than 6 months from 01-06-2017

-Difficulty: Nothing "chillax". UV should be kept in line with commonly known and accepted megawads like Ancient aliens, resurgence and the likes.

-Difficulty settings: people should at least put HMP and UV in a proper place.

-The map you choose to rework must be "legal" to rework, meaning the readme needs to state that you have permission to modify the contents of the WAD. If you choose to "fix" a terry.wad you're free to do so.

-No custom monsters, no custom weapons, no custom SFX.

-New textures and flats are allowed, provided you include them in your wad and rename them with a 3 character prefix from your nick-name. Example: "Ninxxxxx". Do not leave any unused textures in your wad, so whoever compiles this has an easier time with it. It wil also keep "volume" to a minimum. In case of using a already released texture pack (let's say, cc4-tex for example) put a link to that texture pack you use for avoiding double entries in the megawad compiling.

-Custom music must be MIDI-format.

-Overhauls must respect the original idea of the map, meaning: You are not allowed to turn a corridor into a wide-open area for freewheeling slaughter.

-If you add new areas to the map, these must respect the general idea the author of the original WAD had in mind. Don't pick a map01 remake, and add a 2048x2048 section for whatever.

-The genre of the map in question is up to you. If you want to rework a slaughter map it's fine as long as it stays a slaughter map. Terrywads are the only exception to this rule.

-Don't use slot 07 or slot 30 for your map, because maps may get compiled in a random order.

If anybody feels that there is something that still needs to be added to this list, let's hear it.

So far, I'd be in it, doomkid seems to be comfortable about the 6 month deadline, so there'd be two already. So if anyone reading this is able and willing to contribute something, I'd very much appreciate if the person in question lets me know. Once at least ten people are interested, I'd be willing to open a seperate thread to get the wheels spinning.

Another point of interest for experienced mappers: In case you've too much going on, but you'd still like to contribute something because you like the general idea, please consider offering some of your time to help less experienced mappers by giving advice where is due, think of it as a "tutorium".

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

I love the idea of converting trash into treasure. How's "Recycled" for a simple yet memorable project name that aptly describes it?

I've already done this quite a few times so I might join in.. Time is a bit tight though. Regardless, I hope to see this one take off!

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I've already done this quite a few times so I might join in.. Time is a bit tight though. Regardless, I hope to see this one take off!

Would you rather have 6 months of leeway to work on this? I don't think it would be too bad to have some more time.

I would join in as well, and I'd also know what map I'd overhaul as well.

My problem is that I can't compile these things, or do anything DEhacked and whatnot. If somebody would be willing to do this part of the work, I'd be willing to monitor the whole thing, setup an OP and keep it up to date, while also doing playtesting.

EDIT: Put deadline to 6 months, seems reasonable...

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

My problem is that I can't compile these things

Deutex is your friend. If you're fine with using a command line interface.

Basically, maps go in the levels folder,

textures go in the patches folder,

flats in flats folder,

music goes in the musics folder (that's not a typo),

the TEXTURE1/2 lumps go in the textures folder and

lumps (like DEHACKED) go in the lumps folder.

Then you write up textfile which would basically be the instructions for building the WAD eg

Would create a WAD with map01 to map03.

[levels]

MAP01

MAP02

MAP03

This is Freedoom's textfile: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/master/buildcfg.txt

Don't get overwhelmed. It's actually pretty simple.

Doom offers its resources to be modified if you allow your modification to be modified. This is the heart of the GNU License. It would probably be in good taste to contact the original author, but it's not required at all. 

I think this thread should be renamed and edited or moved into new one to reduce confusion if rules  and other community project things are defined.

18 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I think this thread should be renamed and edited or moved into new one to reduce confusion if rules  and other community project things are defined.

I'll open up a new one if some people are willing to join in, and then I'll start organizing things from there to make sure it's all readable and structured. Before I do so, I'll run a feeler-status-update to see how much general interest there is. Perhaps it creates some gravitation as well. By the way, if you're interested, you know what to do. ;-)

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Would you rather have 6 months of leeway to work on this? I don't think it would be too bad to have some more time.

I would join in as well, and I'd also know what map I'd overhaul as well.

My problem is that I can't compile these things, or do anything DEhacked and whatnot. If somebody would be willing to do this part of the work, I'd be willing to monitor the whole thing, setup an OP and keep it up to date, while also doing playtesting.

EDIT: Put deadline to 6 months, seems reasonable...

I'd be happy to put the wad together or do any dehacked work if you want

It's my favourite part of doom actually 

Just now, Outrageous Videos said:

I'd be happy to put the wad together or do any dehacked work if you want

It's my favourite part of doom actually

That's great to know. I'll keep that in mind for when the time comes. Since some people seem to be kind of supportive of this idea to some extent, I'll create a status-up tomorrow, to see how much actual gravitation this one gets. This could be fun after all.

Dang! Outta likes... I'll drop one when I can. Thanks a bunch. :)

The only thing I'm not sure about is trawling the database for semi-decent maps with "authors MAY use" in their readmes. Gotta be boring.

2 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

The only thing I'm not sure about is trawling the database for semi-decent maps with "authors MAY use" in their readmes. Gotta be boring

Unless you're looking at high-profile stuff like SunLust, Valiant, or similar, your success-rate is going to be quite high. Not to mention that the idea of grabbing "whateversucks.wad" isn't something that I would endorse if I were to run the show (Since CrazyDoomguy doesn't want to, chances are I'll do it). So, assuming everybody has stumbled across something obnoxious at least once or twice, there's no problem that I can see thus far.