Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Let's Be Revealing

2 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Like I said, I couldn't care less. Pure convenience is convenient

If there's one thing you're not to argue about with a woman who has a fine taste in clothes, it's convenience. Convenience is for the couch! We've raised what you'd deem inconvenient dressing to an art-form second to none, and more often than not we do this because we like to look appealing to the unappreciative man who proclaims to find us beautiful even when we're wearing a potato-sack (which by the way is a bold-faced lie). ;-)

7 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Well, that escalated quickly! :-P

I'm not even warmed up yet! You've been warned... :p

Not to exaggerate more than I already purposely have, but seriously, without people who have their own tastes and put them "on display", this world would be a lot more boring. Ain't nobody want that, right? You got to learn to appreciate variety as much as you appreciate convenience, but you also need to understand that there's a time and a place for everything. Going out for dinner with a person you have an interest in while wearing a potato-sack would be a perfect example of doing it wrong.

Look at Decay's avatar. However "goofy" it may come across, you can tell right away that man has style.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Look at Decay's avatar. However "goofy" it may come across, you can tell right away that man has style.

A0fze7e.thumb.png.67072035af87ab51190820 this is the ideal male body. you may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

We've raised what you'd deem inconvenient dressing to an art-form second to none, and more often than not we do this because we like to look appealing to the unappreciative man who proclaims to find us beautiful even when we're wearing a potato-sack (which by the way is a bold-faced lie). ;-)

Indeed. Masculinity owes Femininity a huge apology for the egregious double-standard he has forced her to live under for the past I-don't-know-how-many decades. Wear what you like.

Personally, though, I have a hard time being attracted to a woman who is obviously trying to attract men. She's a divorce waiting to happen.

8 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Going out for dinner with a person you have an interest in while wearing a potato-sack would be a perfect example of doing it wrong.

Despite all I've said, I am actually a neat dresser. I wear button-up shirts and slacks most of the time, 'cuz office job. I even wore them at college, though, mostly for fashion purposes (you got me, I'm a hypocrite! ;-)). But when working on the farm, blue jeans and t-shirt. When bumming around the house, usually athletic nylon pants and t-shirt.

Ultimately, there is that "convenience vs extravagancy" ratio, and everyone has one, even those who think they don't have one.

For example, I wear mostly convenient clothes, aka, plain blue jeans, and whatever shirt I put on. However, it can happen that most extravagant clothing article could be most convenient and practical at the same time, but that doesn't always apply. Example, military boots.

At winter I keep wearing the same boots I bought off my brother who is a military man. And they are extremely practical, but still, whoever notices them, notices a great difference in usual look a male teenager achieves at winter (which in my case, are either some regular boots, or sneakers, who cares).

Also, a cool scarf can keep one warm but "cool" *badum tssss* at the same time. Meanwhile, there are gems like me who wear trackpants at the hottest parts of the hottest days. Why? Not for the looks, but because if I am wearing trackpants outside, I am trying to make sure no snake slides up my leg nor that any bush or thorn grazes against my legs. Yet, that is still another fine shade of variety in other's eye.

Sorry for bad english, am currently thinking in my native language :P

6 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Also, a cool scarf can keep one warm but "cool" *badum tssss* at the same time.

Nice! ;-)

Yeah, I guess I could say that I wear the most "tasteful" clothes I can without sacrificing any practicality.

I find blue jeans overrated. Chinos and cargo pants are much better.

Also as I said I like wearing shirts, but always untucked (tucked looks either too formal or something that dads wear), but I still feel strange wearing them on weekends (I associate buttoned shirts with working).

I usually keep away from / don't trust guys with suits because they look like busy, interested businessmen, salesmen or agents. If I go to an event and I see too many of these, I usually think I'm at a wrong meeting and I go away without socializing much.

28 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Plus I was still smart enough to know that some situations simply call for different clothes.

My point is, does it really matter what I wear?

I like this point, but I don't deny that sometimes I'm too lazy to wear properly stuffs. When I have a job, I will change automatically, I guess.

At the beginning of this year, I was back in China for the new year. Since I have been doing cold water bath for 16 years, I may have a cold tolerance than most of Chinese people. For me, 20 C/68 F+ is good for shorts. Plus, the city I lived is very wet. One day I went hiking, and that day was like 22 C/71 F, so I wore shorts. Somebody in the group asked me that whether I felt outstanding because everyone else was wearing long ones.

Although I didn't say too much, my mind was like "come on, this is hiking, who cares."

3 minutes ago, printz said:

I usually keep away from / don't trust guys with suits because they look like busy, interested businessmen, salesmen or agents. If I go to an event and I see too many of these, I usually think I'm at a wrong meeting and I go away without socializing much.

One of the weird things I discovered since moving to the Pacific Northwest is there are only two types of people here who wear suits: guys selling property, and guys selling religion.

You can be in a room of 100 millionaire business people and not one of them will be in a suit.

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

One of the weird things I discovered since moving to the Pacific Northwest is there are only two types of people here who wear suits: guys selling property, and guys selling religion.

You can be in a room of 100 millionaire business people and not one of them will be in a suit.

I didn't think of this, but as you mentioned, I think so...

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

"Ditto" is a slang term meaning "same." Just above that, I explained why I didn't put down a best memory -- for the same reason, I didn't put down a worst memory.

Ahaaaaaa. Makes sense.

Favorite Movie Genre: Action

Favorite Food: Spaghetti 

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Memory: Hanging out at my cottage with my family during the summers

Worst Memory: ???

Favorite Outfit: Polo Shirt with Khaki pants

Favorite Genre Of Music: Swing/Jazz

Most Hated Genre of Music: Dubstep/ POP

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right

Worst Injury: Scraped my knee pretty deep on the last day of kindergarten 

Favorite Hobby: Playing/Collecting Video Games

Your Definition of Success: Gaining a steady income 

Pretty cool to see that there are many people in the community near my age; though it's also really sweet that we have younger people to keep things going and some old, stale farts still lingering around!

Favorite Movie Genre: B, also kung-fu

Favorite Food: Sweets

Favorite Holiday: Halloween

Favorite Memory: Spending time with somebody I love; it's their birthday in a couple hours :)

Worst Memory: Seeing somebody I love die

Favorite Outfit: Blue jeans, my black leather jacket my mom bought me many years ago and a white t-- damnit...

Favorite Genre Of Music: Blues, jazz, classical, funk, old, old rock-and-roll, most other types of rock/alt/grunge/etc from the 60s-90s, hair metal is grand, old school metal and thrash metal are always fun too; angry music to get happy and all that :) Also gotta love most instrumentals and stuff with great musical knowledge/melodies/harmonies/progressions/rhythms/etc, and symphonies by themselves or mixed with some rock is usually good too.

Most Hated Genre of Music: stuff lacking instrumentation or something of interest in terms of music theory. That said, I do love the old-style jazzy piano/singer -type stuff, because they tend to show the talent of the singer/pianist in a more melodic and interesting (in terms of the harmonies/progressions/etc/music theory) way.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Mostly right

Worst Injury: Prolly my worst one is the one that still bothers me today: tendinitis in both of my wrists, which comes and goes as it pleases. Still, a good brace for each absolutely does wonders at making the flare-ups pass quicker.

Favorite Hobby: Dume.

Your Definition of Success: I believe that success is measured by happiness. The route to happiness is through self-actualization, which requires all needs (basic and complex) to be met in order to achieve. 

maslow-pyramid.jpg

Once at self-actualization, you have the power to do what you really want to do. Never reaching that point will result in growing old with regrets of what you wanted to do but never did, which will lead to unhappiness, no matter how hard you try to ignore it, that seed of depression will grow. I could prolly be a bit more clear but hopefully that in a nutshell is enough to clarify my claim that success is measured through total happiness.

In your opinion, are situations typically black and white: Probably more often than we like to think, but when dealing with humans it should be generally understood that there will always be exceptions to the rule and to take every 'universal' statement in a psychological/philosophical discussion with a grain of salt, else we'd waste too much energy constantly saying "for most situations, except this one, and that one, and the other one..." Humans live long lives which contain vastly different experiences than one-another, filled with many opportunities to learn different things. While basic human nature may always be the same, many small things we might consider to be human nature are in fact environmentally/societally enforced, meaning basically that because we learn and are subject to never being able to see things from the same point as another, we can never expect two people to 100% of the time be the same in just about any category or encounter. Even twins grow apart. But our constant differences from one another makes us the same in a way :)

Getting back to the original point and tying this in: even subjects such as morality and ethics, which I think is what this question is about, are probably mostly universal, but there are so many factors to consider that it isn't for us to judge. We can never hope to know everything involved to know what really happened more often than not. All we have are facts, which a third party could see/gather, but to use an analogy: that third party might've been out of earshot to hear everything that was said, and even that is filtered through their own subconcious bias of the situation. Look at DW flame-wars for good examples. Also look at how party lines are drawn in the sand more often than not. It's likely not a group think thing but a subconcious tone individually impressed upon text from members we are familiar with.

However, I think we also tend to make ourselves as the main characters of our own story and the situations we get involved in more special than they really are, giving us an easier excuse to do something morally we know we shouldn't, like speeding because we're late to work, ignoring the fact that road-menacing grannies and parents with children are also on the road. Or the flame-war thing because "I just have to say this!" But then "normally I wouldn't, but I really just gotta say this too, this is super important!" It's an easy habit to form and a bad one to show, but none of us are perfect, myself included and this is just something about our nature (generally speaking, except for the Jesuses, Gandhis, and Buddhas in the room) that we have to fight to get along and be a beneficially contributing member of the communities we choose to be a part of.

Sorry for my idle ramblings which probably don't make much sense, are worded poorly, and likely not containing every logical link to connect the points, kek.

Morals/ethics are a funny thing and great for philosophical discussion :)

Favorite Movie Genre: Body Horror

Favorite Food: Dry-roasted edamame with dried cranberries

Favorite Holiday: Thanksgiving

Favorite Memor(ies): The birth of my son. The day I got my license. Tripping on acid in the early AM in the still nature, watching fog blanket over a pond.

Worst Memory: The house I grew up in getting foreclosed on

Favorite Outfit: Jeans, Chucks, button down shirt

Favorite Genre Of Music: Post punk, classic / garage rock & psychedelic, classical, industrial, ambient 

Most Hated Genre of Music: Whatever that bad punk sounding stuff was in the early 2000s with the effeminate teenage males lamenting about their broken hearts.  I called it emo, but people that are into emo usually hate it more than I do.

Worst Injury: Very few injuries, thankfully. A broken finger might be the worst.

Favorite Hobby: Fishing

Your Definition of Success: Being a good provider of wisdom, financial support, structure and love for my family.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: No

6 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Rofl, just noticed this. Just to be clear, it isn't me, it's pretty much a meme at this point from 2014.

And now I got stuck posting in the topic. Guess gotta stay on topic :(

Favourite movie/food/memory/holiday/music/hobby: Either a) does not apply b) i don't play favourites c) i don't think about any of those things

Worst memory: nothing particularly stands out

Left or Right handed: are you keeping a tally on this or something, to identify doomers with a clipboard whilst out and about?

Worst injury: as most of my friends know, I am pretty much a walking disaster. As Mobius once said "you have more issues than a newsstand, dude" but I think the worst was when I strained/tore something from my solar plexis to my lower abdomen that put me down for 4 months (couldn't even stand up some days) and had lingering effects for 3 years. I never got it examined, which I probably should've. Hmmm I was only 18 at the time.... Lucky for me after that healed I got hit by a car which fucked up my knee for 4 years, nice. Still lingering pain on that one though but I can do everything I used to be able to, though I don't think I'll be playing rugby again anytime soon.

Most hated music: this shit right here

Definition of success: Pretty much what @Fonze said, thanks for writing that up so I didn't have to

Black and white situations: Is this supposed to be a real question

Ages so far: 

Spoiler

16 (2)

17 (3)

18 (3)

19 (3)

20 (2)

22 (3)

23 (2)

26 (8)

28 (6)

35 (2)

Old

Older than dirt

Youngest so far is 16, oldest is at least a few billion years old. 26 and 28 are really common. Interpreting 1991 as a birth year has a chance of raising the number of 26-year-olds even higher.

2 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Ages so far

I guess born in 1988~1990 is quite easy to know Doom when they're young?

51 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Ages so far: 

Yay I'm unique!  /s

I actually thought a lot of people here were older than they are, and a few who I thought were younger.

I'll tell you in advance, I don't do very well with "Favorites" questions. My likes and dislikes tend to be too complex to simplify them into just one particular thing.

Favorite Movie Genre: Probably Sci-Fi or Horror.

Favorite Food: It'd probably be either some type of cheese or some type of red meat.

Favorite Holiday: Don't really have one.

Favorite Memory: Can't really be assed to think of one right now. Maybe I'll fill this in with something later.

Worst Memory: Don't want to talk about it.

Age: Old enough to have played coop and deathmatch games on this new game called Doom using the high school computers. Fun times. Also played a lot of Stunts then.

Favorite Outfit: boring and comfy t-shirt and jeans.

Favorite Genre Of Music: Downtempo (especially chillout), chiptunes, classical and various forms of electronic music.

Most Hated Genre of Music: Pop and brostep.

Left Handed or Right Handed: Right.

Worst Injury: Same as my worst memory.

Favorite Hobby: ehhhhhh....

Your Definition of Success: Not giving up on life.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: No.

Favorite Movie Genre: action/adventure

Favorite Food: olives

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Memory: college

Worst Memory: being in a motorcycle accident

Favorite Outfit: jeans/t-shirt

Favorite Genre Of Music: at the moment.. prog metal

Most Hated Genre of Music: country

Left Handed or Right Handed: right

Worst Injury: assorted broken bones

Favorite Hobby: riding motorcycles, guitar, doom

Your Definition of Success: getting exits

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Yes

Favorite Movie Genre: Horror

Favorite Food: Pizza and/or empanadas

Favorite Holiday: Christmas and New Year's eve

Favorite Memory: I don't have one, I have a lot, related to playing old games and family reunions and stuff. Also, many times I traveled to another country via bus, and seeing the stars while everyone was sleeping, and drinking hot chocolate milk, oh that's a GOOD memory.

Worst Memory: That can be very personal... I'll say each one of my grandparents deaths.

Favorite Outfit: Birthday suit... jk, casual T-shirt, sporty trousers, my black pair of Converse, I really don't have a favourite outfit right now.  

Favorite Genre Of Music: Mostly pop/rock

Most Hated Genre of Music: Don't hate anything, but I don't listen to cumbia (which is a common style in South America), reggaeton (Nicky Jam, Maluma, those kind), or electronic music. 

Worst Injury: I was a toddler, I fell off somewhere and broke my front. My parents said that there was blood everywhere. Aside from that, I've been very lucky.

Favorite Hobby: Walking, playing old games, listening to music.

Your Definition of Success: Achieving my goals and feeling great about it.

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: I see grays too, I see every colour. 

Favourite Movie Genre: Horror

Favourite Food: Burgers

Favourite Holiday: Christmas

Favourite Genre Of Music: Heavy Metal (Black, Grindcore, etc)

Most Hated Genre of Music: Rap

Left Handed or Right Handed: Ambidextrous

Favourite Hobby: Playing Doom/Tinkering with pcs

Your Definition of Success: You can never succeed only get closer to success but never reach it

In your opinion,  are situations typically black and white: Yes

Edited by Outrageous Videos

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

I actually thought you were older tbh. 

me too.

Fonze, you act and sound like an old fart :p :p :p

OutrageousVideos got me thinking, there are a lot of interesting parallels (and of course some strong contrasts) with heavy metal vs hip-hop, so its always funny to see both 'tribes' often have a strong aversion to the other side.

p.s. imagine hating the only thing keeping poetry relevant in the 21st century, imagine it!

also, to those who said 'country' try this guy:

I am more inclined to believe that the aversion you're referring to has more to do with cultural differences between the fan bases of each genre.  Most metalheads probably won't relate with most rap fans in more ways than just musically.  Both genres glorify a different lifestyle.  Rappers who I see getting the most credibility among their fans are the ones who have "been there before and are telling stories."  These guys' songs seem to glorify gang violence, drug and alcohol abuse, fighting oppression, female objectification, sexual obsession, and an emphasis on rhyming (which I think can muddy a message).  Metal can also glorify these things, and examples can certainly be found.  But going by what is typical, the bands that I see getting the most notoriety glorify things like honor, courage, perseverance, violence, revenge, and death.  Not all positive things...but even when they are talking about violent things, they don't claim to have actually been there and done that (again, speaking about what is typical).

Just my two cents.

How can you hate rap when Die Antwoord exist? Check out stuff like Happy Go Sucky Fucky (dat Streets of Rage 2 sample tho), Pitbull or Baby's On Fire. Fuck yeah.

great points Tracer!

and Jayextee as much as i enjoy Die Antwoord, id hate for someones first exposure to rap to be them :D

Well, I bring them up as an example because they totally confound expectations of the genre. In multiple ways.

I mean, there's some rap I've really enjoyed over the years (a handful really: Grandmaster Flash from back when, through Coolio, Eminem, Del tha Funkee Homosapien etc etc; prolly some others I can't bring to mind right now) but holy shit did checking out Die Antwoord (like a lot of fans, this was fresh from seeing Chappie) tear my ears a new one. ;)