Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Silly feature idea: "Apogee mode" OPL

Doom's OPL sounds really, really bland compared to games like Keen 4, Wolf 3D, Duke 2, etc.

What if there was some kind of way to have it sound like that instead? I get the feeling that you couldn't fully mimic that sound with just a custom GENMIDI, could you?

Heh, I wondered how long it would be until someone commented on my prolific posting as of late. But sure, why not be "manic"? It's stuff I've had floating around in my head for a while, I've been gaining more free time as of late, so I figured put my ideas out there before I forget to.

If you think this is crazy, just be glad that I'm only posting a small selection of my ideas. I have a giant text file of this kind of stuff!

Kinda disappointed that you didn't comment on the idea itself about having the music sound like IMF files.

If anything, I found Doom's OPL timbres to be far better than average, while other games sounded more "generic", esp. Apogee's. So sure, if you want to rip the FM timbres used by a gazillion shareware games back then, and turn them into a GENMIDI lump for Doom, go ahead :-p

10 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Doom's OPL sounds really, really bland compared to games like Keen 4, Wolf 3D, Duke 2, etc.

What if there was some kind of way to have it sound like that instead? I get the feeling that you couldn't fully mimic that sound with just a custom GENMIDI, could you?

Oh man, if only someone could do something like that that'd be great

9 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

Oh man, if only someone could do something like that that'd be great

Holy moly, that sounds incredible. If I had known of it I probably wouldn't have made this thread.

My question is, did IMF music do anything that a simple GENMIDI in DMX was incapable of reproducing? If not, consider this thread useless, and your project to be the ideal solution!