Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

World Extermination Radio (Alternative Doom Radio)

Thanks for having me!

And yeah, I'd like to extend that "3 room/4 room layout challenge" that I detail at the end of the episode to all of the new/aspiring mappers out there (or really anyone who wants to improve their layout skills).  Maybe it's not a map that you'll ever pretty up or release, but it's one that can really get you thinking about how to make a map "flow".  One hint for it is to try to think about "non-rectangular" rooms; try making some rooms whose floorplan looks like a concave polygon, and then making them wrap around each other..

I considered sabotaging my own episode to paint WXR in a bad light, but in the end I didn't have the courage. Instead - to my horror - we had a very productive and fruitful conversation about Doom and Australian wildlife. Mostly about Doom. How disappointing reasonable.

Happy to be on the cast, 40oz!

Season 3 has now premiered, starting with Doomkid!

Thanks to all who have been listening! As always, the audio recordings are uploaded to youtube for streaming at any time, as well as mediafire for direct MP3 downloading.

Of course, there is still plenty to do! If you have a microphone and you're at all interested in being on the show, feel free to contact me via PM, we can prepare topics to speak from together and discuss details to arrange an episode. I look forward to churning these episodes at least once a week, they're very fun to do! I'm very interested in learning about any and all of you and would love to talk about more stuff.

Edited by 40oz

Thanks for having me on 40, the various discussion topics were all really interesting!

For those who want to check it out, here's a direct YT link:

Great show. I hope we hear more of Doomkid on future episodes.

WORLD EXTERMINATION RADIO - Goatlord

New episode LIVE tonight at 8:00PM US EST (about 3hrs from the time of this post)

Check it out LIVE@TWITCH

Edited by 40oz : no splatterhouse tonight, sorry!

I'm glad I got to catch the second half of the show before work today. Nice show fellas :)

Hey 40oz, just wanted to say kudos on pumping out so many interviews with members of our community. I think recording the podcasts through a phone conversation on skype is a bit grating as a semi-audiophile, but I love all the interviews you've been doing with all sorts o' Doom folk, letting them voice their perspective on a number of different matters... I definitely get a better grasp on a person through listening to them speak!

WORLD EXTERMINATION RADIO

Season 3 Episode 8 ft. Megalyth & Splatterhouse Live Broadcasting

LIVE TWITCH STREAM

nxGangrel does not sound the way I expected.  Finally I can put a voice to avatar.  haha

I'm loving this episode.  I agree with you guys about mappers' emotions sometimes being felt in their maps.  Good stuff.

Maybe I missed something, but I interpreted the situation based on what he was telling me to mean that he chose to say something outrageous because he was fairly confident the thread was on its way to post hell anyway. I'm not dismissing the significance of the word. But it's important to acknowledge that it wasn't directed at anyone by any stretch of the imagination, and the context in which the word was used was not supposed to be hate speech. It was just supposed to be shocking and ridiculous in a failed attempt to be funny. Shit jokes fall flat, and thats fair. I don't know if you expected me to corner and accost a socially awkward person I invited to speak on the show just to make a point about a very well known word, but I don't really have it in me to do that when it's already pretty clear in this, and a previous episode that he doesn't have very strong communication skills.

53 minutes ago, 40oz said:

[...] the context in which the word was used was not supposed to be hate speech. It was just supposed to be shocking and ridiculous in a failed attempt to be funny.

I mean, there really is no context for it other than it was an impulsive word that bubbled to the front of his consciousness that he decided to post, which doesn't negate the fact that it can be construed in a contemptuous way, similar to if the first word he though for F was "faggot". It might not be targeted hate-speech but if there was an incidental swastika spray-painted outside of an apartment building, it might still make all the jewish residents feel uneasy, yeah? Plus given the fact that joe has previously made a snide remark about how Asian people have "squinty-eyes" and that he referred to essel as "he" on this very podcast, it seems that he kinda just doesn't give a shit about minorities and finds comedic value in slighting them. I'm not adverse to shock humor either; I'm not someone that clutches my pearls if I hear a dirty limerick or believe that minorities & PoC should be "off-limits" for a comedian. But like with PewDiePie's "Death to All Jews" kerfuffle and Bill Maher's most recent blunder, you need to realize when a joke was completely inappropriate and own up to it. Joe does not do that, so he shouldn't be lent any sort of pity or sympathy for his predicament, like that which you showed.

I wasn't necessarily calling for you to immediately kick him from the podcast, but acting like he got the short end of the stick here is really crass IMO. It's fine if you want to shit on PC culture, SJWs, millennials & whatever, but having someone on that essentially said, "I wrote down 'Nigger' cuz it's funny" and responding with "that's not racist oh poor you" really rubbed me the wrong way.

7 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

I wasn't necessarily calling for you to immediately kick him from the podcast, but acting like he got the short end of the stick here is really crass IMO. It's fine if you want to shit on PC culture, SJWs, millennials & whatever, but having someone on that essentially said, "I wrote down 'Nigger' cuz it's funny" and responding with "that's not racist oh poor you" really rubbed me the wrong way.

Before I start, I want to be clear that I have a lot of respect for your opinion, and it means a lot to me that you care enough about the show to speak about your concerns in such detail. Your feelings and opinion towards me and the show are completely valid and I dont want you to feel that I'm attempting to deconstruct your argument in any way.

I believe that all people are certainly capable of change and I've never been a fan of permanent bannings. I feel that permanent bannings dont respect a persons capability to change. If joe had received a 6 month losering or a cap on how many posts he can make a week, then my sympathies would have been gone completely. I believe doomworld to be a centralized place where all kinds of people of different interests, cultures, and sensibilities can gather together under the umbrella that we all like the same thing -- Doom. To ban someone from it suggests to me that they are completely unwanted as a Doom fan, according to the consensus of the moderators who conducted the ban. I'm not entirely convinced that the use of the word inherently reflects deeply rooted racism or that anything I said was condoning of it. Ive never witnessed anything from him, in his posts, or any of the content he has created to suggest that he dislikes anyone on the basis of their ethnic background. And to have reacted in a manner that misappropriates what he told me makes about as much sense as slapping the fork out of someone's hand before they eat a salad because they could be misconstrued as a vegan.

That said, a ban is a ban and I'm not in any power to make that change. If I felt that something should be done about it, id have a long talk with Linguica. The suggestion from NIH that this episode opens the floodgates for nazis and confederate flag wavers to spread all over here is flattering, considering that I have like 10 subscribers and get like ~50 views a week and wouldn't take a single donated dollar from any listener to keep the show going. The show has been labaled since the beginning as "alternative" doom radio and has never been labeled otherwise outside of a purely (and poorly) satirical sense. It is not meant to reflect the thoughts and opinions of anyone other than who is present on the show at that time.

Please trust me in that if blatant racial discrimination takes place here, I will certainly be on your side fighting that battle with you. But as far as joe being one of those people, I really don't see it from that episode. If you have something to show me that would suggest otherwise, I am willing to be persuaded.

Edited by 40oz

I cut out the rest of the drama bomb that the thread was degenerating into. If you want to continue it, take it elsewhere.

Thank you Linguica.

Just wanna say I'm sorry things went the way they did. I appreciate that those involved cared enough about the topic at hand to discuss it in as much detail as they did. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts/concerns about the show, but for the sake of keeping the forums clean, reach out to me via Private Message or on some other medium and we could talk about it further.

I'm looking forward to the Darknation episode 'cos I'm curious about his writing exploits. I wonder if he's the guy who wrote that Quake short story I was talking about.

Also apologies in advance for my prattling on my visit to the podcast. T_T