Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Do we want a new movie based on Doom '16?

1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

It's no masterpiece, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

IMO it passes as a standalone movie, but as a Doom movie, it doesn't work that well, hence why people say it's bad.

I think that a cool idea for a Doom movie would be something similar to what Pink Floyd did with "The Wall."  Make it like a long music video with any kind of story linearity a seeming second thought.

If someone makes a new Doom movie, they absolutely should take notes from Die Hard, John Wick, Shoot 'em Up (the Clive Owen movie) and Dredd. Those movies are so effecient in developing their Charakters.

- John Wick really lets you feel what kind of guy he must be, just by showing the reaction of someone on a phone for example.

- A lesson for everybody working on movies, just watch the first minute or so from Shoot 'em Up. Thats an effecient and powerful introduction to a charakter. Just he sitting there and his delayed and annoyed reaction tells you so much about this guy. That movie wastes no time and cuts straight to the action, and still you are invested.

- Die Hard does so much absolutely right on so many levels. I couldnt explain it properly in just one post. But people made hour long videos about the storytelling, the charakter development, the investment of the audience.

- Dredd. Just go and watch it. Everything but the story and background is so Doom about that movie. Dredd never takes the helmet off and is more a personification of ultimate punishment than a human being. If you have seen Dredd you know a really really good Doom movie is possible.

I feel a Doom movie needs to have buildup for atmospheric purposes. But for charakter introduction and develpment it needs to go the way of the action movies that understand how to work without dialogue. A Doom movie needs to be so tight that it hurts. You need a couple of slow scenes to properly convey tension and stuff like that, but the movie itself can still feel fast and entertaining.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:01 PM, Voros said:

IMO it passes as a standalone movie, but as a Doom movie, it doesn't work that well, hence why people say it's bad.

I suppose. Here's the thing, I believe they took off of the Doom 3 plot with the martian thing, and that the movie still had demons, but they were metaphorical rather than literal. Really dumb, but think about it: bad people become monsters when they get the extra chromosome, the demons are among us. Everyone has demons inside of them, and only the pure of heart don't become mutants.

Hey, I did say it was dumb.

Since the revel has started, here are the things, I'd wish to be -

- Doomguy's being (and starting narration in case of solid time line) as an ordinary spacemarine, as it's already mentioned, very desirable. And if they come with his face visible - Michael Baldwin looks good for this role.

Spoiler

dg.jpg.54f7d06d51cfdb2e5b722da5f0f28d05.jpg

Though, I don't mind him being silent - some quotes from comic or like them would look fine.
- Demons must be demons, creatures from hell, not anything like in movie or in some of novels.
- And, at last, some tense, horrorish moments would make good addition, but they must be included, only if they are entirely such ones.

I think Karl Urban was the best one to cast. He looks like Doomguy, he looks like someone that can take a beating and give it back, but at the same time he looks like a "normal" person.

I agree that character building is important. The ambiguous nature of the DoomGuy works for the player, but for a movie we need someone with a name, a face, a voice. The original film casted him well, but his backstory was a bit lacking and we never really learn much about him. This would be an opportunity to really give him some dimension as well as motivation. Maybe he has a close friend or family member working in UAC, and it creates tension. Or perhaps he's the only one who sees through the bullshit, and is destined to bring them down. Really, it could go any number of directions.

As for UAC...I don't think we need a single antagonist, some lone, black-and-white bad guy. Doom '16 did an interesting take on this by making Olivia Pierce pretty outright antagonistic, yet kept both DoomGuy and Samuel/Vega's role somewhat undefined. This was very effective and allows the player to choose who to side with, in a way. Doing the same with a new film would work well I think.

To me it seems that a movie based on Doom '16 is not really necessary. After playing through the game several times at this point, I already feel contented and am just thankful that the game itself didn't disappoint, considering how much I was looking forward to it.

However, I admit that I did like that live-action commercial for Doom 4. If that was amped-up and extended somewhat I would want to see more of that, despite the idea for a movie seeming kind of unnecessary.