Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trycon

[CrowbCat] DOOM E3 comparison

One thing I hasn't noticed was how much closer the E3 2015 Imps were to the Doom 3 design than what they ended up going with.

I'm glad they did a minor redesign on the imps. I think the final product was a really well done take on the original design where it was still "different" but ultimately recognizable as being inspired by the original. In any event it was far better than the weird Doom 3 spider-eye design.

This is one of those rare cases where the final release turned out better than the initial version. The Imps had no discernible personality in the E3 footage and the HUD was gray and everything was saturated in a nasty yellow filter. Game still looked cool, but they definitely improved the final version.

There's quite a few things I like more about the prototype. Kadingir Sanctum really had this choking, toxic feel to it. Full of crackling lightning and unearthly droning, someplace actively evil and hostile to all life. The final version feels far more like an old, empty, dying expanse which, although makes sense given the story, doesn't quite resonate with me the same way.

I really like the new Imps a lot; the influence from DOOM 64 is obvious, and it's nice to see the game be paid its due tribute just as much as the rest of the series. Have to agree about the Hell levels, though. I'm generally not too fond of the whole comic book-like styrofoam and cardboard theme park design, but in the prototype it at least managed to look a bit more menacing than the dead wasteland in the final game.

I like the earlier eye-less Imp design better, but I also generally prefer the Doom 3 monster style. The final Doom 2016 Imp looks too much like a goblin IMO.

It's interesting to see how they polished many small things.

20 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

There's quite a few things I like more about the prototype. Kadingir Sanctum really had this choking, toxic feel to it. Full of crackling lightning and unearthly droning, someplace actively evil and hostile to all life. The final version feels far more like an old, empty, dying expanse which, although makes sense given the story, doesn't quite resonate with me the same way.

Wished they kept the imp crawling animation and the little hologram animation instead of just pressing a screen. Other than that, I like the new look of Hell a bit more than E3. E3's version's skybox looked hideous IMO.

The E3 presentation looked a lot better to me, it looked more engaging and interesting and memorable. In fact, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they beefed up the presentation and the stuff they showed off in order to be more cinematic for the people to see, then downgraded for the final product in order to be more "arcade shooter like."

I wish for once the presentation of the game at E3 is identical to the final release, just fucking once. The same thing happened with BioShock Infinite. The early footage of that looked incredible and lots of memorable encounters. Hell, I remember more from that video than I do from the real game. The broken down horse carriage, the man with the crows, the cannon dude and turning the shell back onto the cannon and firing it back with telekinesis, the bar scene where you shoot the dude and then everyone chases you out! Amazing scenes all just for show. I'm sick of false advertising in the video game industry. GIVE US WHAT YOU SHOW US!

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

The same thing happened with BioShock Infinite. The early footage of that looked incredible and lots of memorable encounters. Hell, I remember more from that video than I do from the real game. The broken down horse carriage, the man with the crows, the cannon dude and turning the shell back onto the cannon and firing it back with telekinesis, the bar scene where you shoot the dude and then everyone chases you out! Amazing scenes all just for show.

You know what's really fucked up is apparently there was enough content cut from Infinite to fill six entire games.

7 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

You know what's really fucked up is apparently there was enough content cut from Infinite to fill six entire games.

And fucked up even more still is if that content was not cut, it would have been transformed into 5 expensive DLCs.

8 minutes ago, Nevander said:

And fucked up even more still is if that content was not cut, it would have been transformed into 5 expensive DLCs.

Yeah but at least we'd of gotten the game the visionary had intended though.