Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Do you prefer mouselook or freelook for Doom?

Do you prefer mouselook or freelook for Doom?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer mouselook or freelook for Doom?

• Mouselook
    • Freelook

I was just curious which of the two playstyles would be favoured here. I prefer freelook, as it just feels more personally comfortable to me. But in a game like Wolfenstein 3D where everything is on the same vertical level, being able to look up and down is very disorienting. 

As far as I got it:

Mouselook - horizontal aiming, no vertical

Freelook - also vertical aiming

I thought they were both the same thing. Frankly, I think both terms suck. Why not just call it "vertical look" and "horizontal look"? Unambiguous, straightforward, simple.

Terminology conventions suck.

23 minutes ago, torekk said:

As far as I got it:

Mouselook - horizontal aiming, no vertical

Freelook - also vertical aiming

Correct. 

I prefer free-look. Not only is it nice to be able to aim at monsters on ledges without relying on auto-aim, but being able to admire architecture is a big part of my play experience.

Having plain "mouselook" (with no vertical aiming) may come helpful esp. in DM in maps where there's little height variation, and being able to look up & down would just lead to potentially more missed shots aimed at the ceiling or floors, rather than at the chest of your opponent. In such maps, complete freelook (and esp. the way it affects autoaim or fully manual aim) may as well be a handicap.

If you're talking about WAD meant to be played without Freelook, I definitely won't turn it on, somewhat like infinite height. I know sometimes the autoaim in Mouselook could be annoying (eg, using Rocket Launcher when there are enemies in lower elevation), but hey, that's the original game, and you have to deal with it.

None, well, horizontal look, but I don't use the mouse. Vertical is cool too, I've only used it a few years ago but nowadays I'm staying with the natural vanilla configuration. 

I find in GZDoom now I like to hold down mouse 2 to look around (autoaim is still on, no crosshair) to get a bead on what's above or below me instead of just plain freelook, and to admire architecture.

18 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

What about for the keyboard only players?

Feed them to the lions.

I can't stand y shearing bit I can see the appeal. No looking up and down for me, but I use the mouse extensively.

If I'm using an OpenGL-based port, then freelook. Otherwise, I prefer to stick with mouselook due to the confusing perspective distortion of Software Rendering.

Also, if I'm playing an old WAD, I prefer mouselook since it's the way it was meant to be played back in the day.

Also what I never got, why does doomguy move up and down when you move the mouse vertically, it seemed so awkward to me at first, until I figured out how to disable that. Before I was actually playing keyboard only due to it.

And after seeing people on YouTube playing ZDoom with "freelook", I almost got sick from it. 

Free look is the ability to look up and down, not necessarily with the mouse. It's a legit term that has broader application than mouse look, which only refers to one type of controller.

Looking left and right doesn't have a name because it doesn't exist in the majority of FPS games. You're turning left and right instead.

I thought those were the official terms. Looks like I've been wrong all this time. 

Edited by Ajora

Ever since I could +mlook 1 in Quake I've played with unrestricted mouse look.

Also, just an FYI for those unaware, the latest version of GZDoom's software renderer has a full, non-distorted mouselook mode.

Just now, Bauul said:

Also, just an FYI for those unaware, the latest version of GZDoom's software renderer has a full, non-distorted mouselook mode.

Witchery!

I'll refrain from voting since those options have me bamboozled. I've been using vertical look since source ports became a thing with that feature, which is also why I only play in GL mode to not get that nasty software distortion. Mostly for the obvious reason that people mentioned such as being able to admire the architecture and actually see who the hell is shooting you up and down stairs.