Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Where to find new textures?

Hi everyone, I'm looking at adding some new textures to my wads, but I was wondering if there is anywhere other than realm667 that I can find new textures? I want some more detailed techbase textures and such, like Wads such as Disjunction use, but i'm unsure where to find them and honestly Realm667 doesnt have much like that.

https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/

Also you can find textures in wads and forum threads,for wad examples: Community Chest 4,Ancient Aliens(I don't recommend this set unless you reconvert them in Doom pallette or png,CCtex is ok to use without any changes). Also dig through id games,some interesting stuff lies here.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/

Also you can find textures in wads and forum threads,for wad examples: Community Chest 4,Ancient Aliens(I don't recommend this set unless you reconvert them in Doom pallette or png,CCtex is ok to use without any changes). Also dig through id games,some interesting stuff lies here.

It does seem most of the textures there are Realm667s, I want to try to find some more techbase type textures.

Just now, Phade102 said:

It does seem most of the textures there are Realm667s, I want to try to find some more techbase type textures.

Recoloured Doom textures should suit your wad perfectly. Maybe some flats or walls. CCtex has techbase type textures too. 

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Recoloured Doom textures should suit your wad perfectly. Maybe some flats or walls. CCtex has techbase type textures too. 

I think ill look at CCtex. THanks Haruko.

13 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Haruko would you know where to get the CCtex.wad? I cant seem to find it.

10 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Haruko would you know where to get the CCtex.wad? I cant seem to find it.

In Community Chest 4 megawad. 

3 hours ago, Phade102 said:

It does seem most of the textures there are Re

It's very likely the other way round. Another place to look for textures is from other games - find texture rips online and compile your own resource wad. :)

Okay I'm going to state it as I do- please don't just go to CC4 all the time peeeppps D:< There are soooo many more resources you could be using.

Take a peek in the "Post your Doom picture" or head over the Zdoom- there is a whole topic dedicated to stuff like that!

Make your own! And don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a smartass comment!

Unless you completely don't have time/can't do it, learning to create your own textures can give you a ton of satisfaction of creating things yourself from nothing, will give your project freshness and your players something to discover and most of all, let you create the project exactly as you want it - you can show your vision, you're not just stuck with the things someone else already thought of and made :)

Of course it's long-term goal but I think it's really worth it :)

Just now, Cage said:

Make your own! And don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a smartass comment!

Unless you completely don't have time/can't do it, learning to create your own textures can give you a ton of satisfaction of creating things yourself from nothing, will give your project freshness and your players something to discover and most of all, let you create the project exactly as you want it - you can show your vision, you're not just stuck with the things someone else already thought of and made :)

Of course it's long-term goal but I think it's really worth it :)

To be honest, if i have the knowledge and experience to do that I'd do it in a heartbeat. But i'm happy to just use some premade ones. I've been insanely inspired by Disjunction, to be honest. Floatrands talent at texturing is just incredible.

3 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

To be honest, if i have the knowledge and experience to do that I'd do it in a heartbeat. But i'm happy to just use some premade ones. I've been insanely inspired by Disjunction, to be honest. Floatrands talent at texturing is just incredible.

Knowledge and experience are gained, they don't come up out of the blue one day, the sooner you work on it, the sooner you'll see the results. ;) Of course, I'm not saying texture packs are wrong and no one should use them, but I just wish more people would take up the glove.

Good luck with the search!

If people would share their experience for newbies how to make textures and where to start in one visible thread,world and this forum would be a better place :')

I saw few threads about texture edits,but it's not enough. 

1 hour ago, Cage said:

Knowledge and experience are gained, they don't come up out of the blue one day, the sooner you work on it, the sooner you'll see the results. ;) Of course, I'm not saying texture packs are wrong and no one should use them, but I just wish more people would take up the glove.

Good luck with the search!

To be honest, I barely have enough knowledge on how to add textures appropriately to my wad, and i'm still not sure if i'm doing right. One step at a time =) My next wad is already planned, and shockingly enough I'm going to attempt a slaughtermap wad.

11 hours ago, Phade102 said:

I used cc4tex.wad as resource for Disjunction. Didn't really use custom textures out of those energy-beams in map07. 

Spoiler

jZOJ8rX.pngZE0yKRl.pngRwDflIC.pngRQghYgF.png

1 hour ago, floatRand said:

I used cc4tex.wad as resource for Disjunction. Didn't really use custom textures out of those energy-beams in map07. 

Hide contents

jZOJ8rX.pngZE0yKRl.pngRwDflIC.pngRQghYgF.png

Oh wow, thanks Floatrand, cant believe you actually replied to me =D Ill probably end up using cc4tex then. your map design is absolutely gorgeous.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:18 PM, Phade102 said:

Holy crpa, I never knew doomworld had a section like that!

Also check out the idgames graphics archive. There's a lot of shitty stuff there, but also some absolute gems. One way to search the archives is to look at recent uploads first. On average, they would probably be better quality than stuff from 1993. You could also look at the rating of the wad and the comments to get a sense of its quality. Another way to search is by author. Some authors have consistently created high-quality stuff.

You also mentioned: "I want to try to find some more techbase type textures." Here are a few from the archives:

NMN Corporation Texture Set Part 1 by Pawel Zarczynski aka NMN

Nmn Corporation Texture Set Part 2 by Pawel Zarczynski aka NMN

System Shock Textures by Taradino Cassatt

Too Much Brown (Build 1) by Daniel "Tormentor667" Gimmer

A ton of the textures I had been looking for are actually in the cc4-tex wad. I"m going to work with that =) Thanks though.