Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Wasn't there a tool that created an image of your map?

I remember some time ago somebody making a tool that took your wad and created and actual map/image of your map. I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what it's called or where it is?

I don't know how to use this python thing the first app uses, and I get an Exception Access Violation error when using the second program.

I cannot get wad2image to run either.

Looking at the webpage it seems like a useful app, though.

As for Automapper 1.2, that works for vanilla/boom maps only.

For example, have DOOM2.WAD in the same folder and then follow the prompts

Spoiler

CmQWQ9m.png

Or in the case of a pwad with only one map

Spoiler

hd2wHSv.png

The Automapper plugin for both, GZDB and GZDB-BF, works for any map format.

For best results disable the grid.

Edited by Kappes Buur

I'm pretty sure nobody ever had the idea of making map images. At least I'm pretty sure that I never put a "save map image" button in SLADE when you look at a map header, and that it doesn't output images equivalent to omgifol. That would be silly, especially since omgifol doesn't make map images either, since no one ever made a tool for that. I'm not sure what the use would be???

16 hours ago, Gez said:

I'm pretty sure nobody ever had the idea of making map images. At least I'm pretty sure that I never put a "save map image" button in SLADE when you look at a map header, and that it doesn't output images equivalent to omgifol. That would be silly, especially since omgifol doesn't make map images either, since no one ever made a tool for that. I'm not sure what the use would be???

That's a great idea, you should totally implement that Gez!  ;)

On 17/05/2017 at 2:07 PM, Bauul said:

That's a great idea, you should totally implement that Gez!  ;)

He's being sarcastic, that feature exists in SLADE for quite a long time yet nobody uses it.

EDIT: I do.

I'm the author of wad2image utility mentioned above and I just noticed this thread. I'm sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with it. Maybe I can help. What operating system are you using? Can you include the output of wad2image and maybe a link to the WAD you want an image of?

34 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

He's being sarcastic, that feature exists in SLADE for quite a long time yet nobody uses it.

Wait, you mean he was being sarcastic?  How could I have not realized? Please teach me senpai!

Well just a new environment for me here, you can see from my title, and i also forgot to look at your join date before saying so time will get me used to this.

Still, it's a thing that like most of the people don't uses because there not much mappers using Slade as main tool for that, despite the editor being great anyway.

@Zanieon I'm just joking with you, welcome to the forums! :) And you're absolutely right that Slade is a great tool whose mapping abilities do get a little overlooked due to GZDB. If you are yourself a mapper than I and everyone else look forward to seeing what you make!

@Bauul I noticed the italic sarcasm but well, it's me who are the newbie here, i need get a glimpse first of friendship bonds here, sometimes i forget that this is not the ZDoom or Zandronum forums where i am accostumated to talk to everyone already, also, i have posted 2 maps here already and there's more to come :P

9 hours ago, selliott4 said:

I'm the author of wad2image utility mentioned above and I just noticed this thread. I'm sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with it. Maybe I can help. What operating system are you using? Can you include the output of wad2image and maybe a link to the WAD you want an image of?

Basically I just have no idea how to use it :/

1 hour ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Basically I just have no idea how to use it :/

The download on it's web page is a ZIP file that you expand wherever you want. By default it creates images in it's "images" directory". Its web page has a few examples.

It's a Python program that requires Pillow, an image library for Python. Getting Pillow installed might be the tricky part if you don't have the "pip" utility as per the instructions on wad2image's web page, but there is probably a way. Then again it may already be installed on your OS.

A few other approaches came up in this thread. There are advantages to each of them. One advantage of wad2image is that it can do multiple maps at once, and it can do it non-interactively based on command line arguments. So if you find yourself creating images a lot it may save you some time since you just have to scroll back in your history, or write a BAT file, or however you do it on your OS, rather than having to manually go through the same process each time. It's possible that Automapper does that, but I'm not familiar with it.