Find results in...
Linguica

The chaingun spins:

The chaingun spins:  

67 members have voted

1. 1. The chaingun spins:

• Clockwise
    • Counterclockwise

Don't miniguns and Gatling guns tend to spin clockwise in real life?

I suspect we're influenced by that.

9 minutes ago, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

^ Next you're going to tell me that when Doomguy runs, he's pushing the entire world backwards, instead of pushing himself forwards.

You can't say that he isn't doing that, at the very least.

Edit: Linguica, after voting the vote results didn't appear for me, it took a page reload. Running FF 53.0.3, uBlock Origin with the recommended filters. Sorry for not checking if there was a JS error in the console, but yeah. If that isn't supposed to happen, do pass it to whoever is in charge of the forum software if you think it's necessary.

Just now, Doomkid said:

Why is "either way depending on it's mood" not an option

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Revelation 3:15-16

7 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

It only has two frames, so it's impossible to tell.

Yeah, if you watch it closely, it appears to sort of jig back and forth between just a couple of its barrels in a 1-2-1-2 pattern, and so at speed you could easily (and validly) read it either way.

That aside, I guess I always sort of read it as spinning counterclockwise, myself. I wonder if this is one of those left brain/right brain things?

I assume clockwise unless you're in the southern hemisphere, then counter-clockwise.

31 minutes ago, Zanieon said:

I am pretty sure it spins in the same direction this train travels:

TnfzrDD.gif

Fackward? Borward?

40 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Seems pretty straightforward.

I literally cannot tell from this video which way it is spinning, because without a acceleration / deceleration it could be spinning either direction at a certain speed, like how car wheels can appear to be spinning "backwards" at certain speeds.

Actually I think the first frame it spins CW, but the second frame it spins CCW... Although this doesn't make any sense, why Doom has to make sense, right?

BTW, please tell Smooth Doom author to put this in future options, allowing the player to choose whether it spins CW or CCW.

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, please tell Smooth Doom author to put this in future options, allowing the player to choose whether it spins CW or CCW.

This is literally what inspired this thread

3 minutes ago, Linguica said:

This is literally what inspired this thread

This topic cracks me up for some reason. This reminds me of that "blue and black" or "white and gold" dress.

the mark on it (visible without status bar) suggests it would spin clockwise, but of course this doesn't help too much since it just snaps back afterwards. its enough to convince my mind its clockwise though. I am just glad I don't see it as turning and then snapping back as that would probably bother me.

3 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

the mark on it (visible without status bar) suggests it would spin clockwise, but of course this doesn't help too much since it just snaps back afterwards. its enough to convince my mind its clockwise though. I am just glad I don't see it as turning and then snapping back as that would probably bother me.

That's why I said that... I also used that mark as a reference.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

I literally cannot tell from this video which way it is spinning, because without a acceleration / deceleration it could be spinning either direction at a certain speed, like how car wheels can appear to be spinning "backwards" at certain speeds.

Hmm, at 0.25 speed it seemed to go clockwise. Not too sure.

Actually it doesn't spin either way it spins both ways like first barrel clockwise then once it changes barrels it moves counterclockwise until it gets to the first barrel again which goes clockwise etc.

It spins towards an imperceptible direction dictated by black geometry, as inscribed by ancient warlocks during the cold nights of early 90's.

Sings..."The chains on the gun go round and round"...while licking all of the exploding barrels.

4 hours ago, Fonze said:

I was gonna vote, but then I realized this is a trick question: the chaingun in fact rotates the player, the world, and its own stock around its barrels counter-clockwise.

Not clockwise?

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Revelation 3:15-16

The Bible has 0 time for subtlety!