Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

GeoGuessr challenges

Anyone wants a quick GeoGuessr challenge? It's a fun game where you spawn in five random places in Google Street View and you have to guess where they are on the world map.

I created a challenge here: https://geoguessr.com/challenge/e0gOWtp7rzSKbPgw

The rules are: 3 minutes per spot, you are allowed to move/look around, but don't use any external tools like the Google Search.

Yikes, I suck!

At least I'm not that guy at school who thought Japan was in the Atlantic.

Lol, when I first started playing this game I was almost always the worst of all participants. Then after a while I learned some stuff like which roads\signs are typical for South America, which helps a lot occasionally. Looking forward to more results. :)

Spoiler

This challenge turned out pretty fun. Sometimes in this game you get really boring locations: just nothing but simple roads surrounded by trees. Here the first one was quite amusing: it had road signs with horsemen on them! The second was also quite lolsy: I didn't know that you can spawn inside a building! In third and fourth I couldn't really find any useful hints though. The last was also a pretty random guess but at least there was an American flag so I knew I can't be off for too much.

Bah, 12724. Poor showing this time. I'm quite a fan of GeoGuessr and play it semi-frequently, though usually not up against the clock. My connection sucks so in some cases I'm looking at a very pixelated image for half of the allowed time haha.

Don't open this before taking the challenge, future readers:

Spoiler

Yeah, you learn a lot of clues to locations over time, but there's also a lot of red herrings to be wary of. The first one was quite easy IMO, that kind of landscape is something I've come to associate with the general look of the American south-west. I guessed Colorado, which turned out to be wrong but could have been worse..

In the third one, the hint is the yellow road lines which I take to mean that the American continents are a safe bet. Usually it's very difficult to nail these down though, as said continents are very vast. Trees vary in their appearance with latitude, and the lack of mountains usually leads me to plump for central-northeast states - sort of Indiana/Ohio area. Unfortunately, GeoGuessr pulled a dick move on me this time, it was way off of there.

Fourth was a harsh one, I still haven't worked out any consistency with American road markings, and I've seen this kind of road all too many times (especially with light green trees) and travelled a fair way only to find road signs in Russian - the other day I was looking for the Amur river, which I couldn't find and just plonked the marker near the Ukrainian border. Turn out it's near fucking Vladivostok! I had a similar instinct here and went for Russia...nope!

Fifth one, yeah every street in the US looks exactly the same to me, so there's not much I could do beyond random guess. Again, could have been worse, but not a great result there.

Edit:

Spoiler

Memfis I like how we both fell into the same trap and guessed pretty much the same place on #2, heh

Edited by Eris Falling

4. # 6150Alfonzo - 12724 is a poor showing? Oh no. this has turned into a public humiliation. (illegal geographical knowledge)

I think you guys should battle it out in the United Kingdom map. :D You can increase the time limit or disable it if necessary.

And yeah, that Berlin sign in the second one was a classic red herring...

I just played and got 8799, which is surprising, considering I used to hate geography as a lesson. In one question though, I pressed in Australia, which was really dumb of me and I may have lost a few thousand points this way. :D