Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

DMXOPL v1.11 - Because Doom Deserves Better (August 22, 2017)

Nice. This is pretty much perfect.

However, I did notice a problem. Every midi I tried sounded really good, except for D_E2M6. The droning sound in it is far, far too harsh.

More of a minor nitpick, but the bass in D_ROMERO has a weird sort of high pitched noise at the beginning of every note. I'm not sure how to better describe it, listen to it and hear what I mean.

Edited by Blastfrog

It'd be so nice to have a post-processing filter that emulates the filter found on OPL cards such as the Soundblaster. Ports really ought to have something like this. It's something that even DOSBox ought to have. OPL was not meant to be heard raw! I'm surprised that there has never been an attempt at doing something like this for any OPL emulator, to the best of my knowledge.

Also, I never got an answer to this question:

On 5/24/2017 at 10:25 PM, Blastfrog said:

My question is, did any games that use IMF have a similar trick? Wolf 3D sounds so damn good, was that just clever and careful use of ordinary voice usage, or was it capable of doing something like you describe Voyetra being able to do?

Edited by Blastfrog

10 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Nice. This is pretty much perfect.

However, I did notice a problem. Every midi I tried sounded really good, except for D_E2M6. The droning sound in it is far, far too harsh.

More of a minor nitpick, but the bass in D_ROMERO has a weird sort of high pitched noise at the beginning of every note. I'm not sure how to better describe it, listen to it and hear what I mean.

It's likely a detune issue, I'll take a look.

My question is, did any games that use IMF have a similar trick? Wolf 3D sounds so damn good, was that just clever and careful use of ordinary voice usage, or was it capable of doing something like you describe Voyetra being able to do?

iirc, IMF was more of a "compiled" format, so it could do anything the editor allowed. Not sure if any of this was ever used extensively...

I was playing Doomkid's Shovelware Adventure and the midi had an instrument that sounded terrible in your GENMIDI. Playing with Doom's or Freedoom's GENMIDI, it sounds fine. I didn't look at the midi itself so I don't know exactly which instrument it is.

Another thing. The pad 3 (polysynth) doesn't sound right IMO. I took this midi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhhgjiyro67vark/Sonic%20Robo%20Blast%202%20-%20Egg%20Rock%20Zone%20Act%202.mid?dl=1 as a test. Compared to the sound produced from a soundfont, Freedoom's and Doom's GENMIDI lumps are much more closer to it than yours.

59 minutes ago, Voros said:

I was playing Doomkid's Shovelware Adventure and the midi had an instrument that sounded terrible in your GENMIDI. Playing with Doom's or Freedoom's GENMIDI, it sounds fine. I didn't look at the midi itself so I don't know exactly which instrument it is.

Another thing. The pad 3 (polysynth) doesn't sound right IMO. I took this midi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhhgjiyro67vark/Sonic Robo Blast 2 - Egg Rock Zone Act 2.mid?dl=1 as a test. Compared to the sound produced from a soundfont, Freedoom's and Doom's GENMIDI lumps are much more closer to it than yours.

Whoops! That's odd. That must be one of those that were corrupted when I converted files over. i'll take a look and upload a fix when I can.

EDIT: Yep, one of the waveforms were incorrect. Fixed. Will upload a fix later this week to /idgames/.

Edited by Csonicgo : whoops

2 hours ago, Csonicgo said:

EDIT: Yep, one of the waveforms were incorrect. Fixed. Will upload a fix later this week to /idgames/.

Wait what? But you already uploaded it to idgames! Are you suggesting that you can UPLOAD NEW VERSIONS OF FILES to idgames and it's fine but for some reason no one does it because they have some strange idea you're not allowed?!?

8 hours ago, NightFright said:

Does anybody know if GZDoom will properly support this again in the near future?

This does work fine with me, get the 3.1.0 version: https://zdoom.org/news

I investigated D_ROMERO and D_E2M6. The first is... simulated pluck of the bass string. source: I play bass.

D_E2M6 exposed harshness in Bass Lead pad. Redid that entire instrument to match the SC-55.

Polysynth was tweaked to remove a little harshness there.

These fixes will be in the next release.

v1.4 submitted to /idgames/. Calling this "done" now, since any more and I'll never have a finished project. :P

Paul Radek had lots of percussion instruments he never finished and muted. I redid all of those. He was so close on some of them (yet so far)...

Try HACX with it now, it should sound much better.

13 hours ago, NightFright said:

Does anybody know if GZDoom will properly support this again in the near future?

I guess you'd have to point Graf Zahl over to this thread.

Final v1.6 uploaded to /idgames/. Work on the Vanilla version starts...whenever I get around to it.

My ears are shot, honestly.

Sounds pretty good. The guitars could be better though and the open hi-hat IMO should be changed to match the closed one, as I like the Master System PSG noise-esque sound of the closed one.

3 hours ago, Patch93 said:

Sounds pretty good. The guitars could be better though and the open hi-hat IMO should be changed to match the closed one, as I like the Master System PSG noise-esque sound of the closed one.

I'm actually considering looking at some of the instruments again. I have a set that recreates the Voyetra electric guitars (not exactly, but close). It is a pseudo-4op double voice.

I may have missed the hi-hats on conversion, I will have to take a look. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Try this version.  I am still not satisfied with the guitars. but try to -file this.

New Instruments include: Ride Bell, String Ensemble 2, String Ensemble 1, Distorted Guitar, Overdriven Guitar, Jazz Guitar, Star Theme, Brass Section, Acoustic Bass, Nylon Guitar, Shamisen, Koto, Hi-Hats.

Pondering a 1.7 release Soon. Will do more testing on those guitars. :\

https://github.com/sneakernets/DMXOPL/raw/master/GENMIDI.op2

2 hours ago, Patch93 said:

Personally, I quite like this duel 2-op mod I did with Duke Nukem 2's guitar patch. Almost sounds TFIV-ish with the detuned operators and added release time. The notes keep quieting at higher octaves though and I haven't figured out how to fix that. :T

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_1smPf4w4fYYzZUWlZEdTVMMEE

That works. Send me the values for it and I'll fix the octave issues and remove the "piano" attack a bit.

19 minutes ago, Patch93 said:

Here, you can import the guitar patches from my copy of your GENMIDI set that I modified: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_1smPf4w4fYMWw4MGVuSkVaeGs

I took those and tweaked them a bit to remove some of the harshness, although I ended up with the same issues you did - certain ranges broke. So I hammered at it and came up with this - listen to D_E2M1 with it or D_E3M8 with it and let me know. I really like how it turned out...

https://github.com/sneakernets/DMXOPL/raw/master/GENMIDI.op2

DMXOPL v1.7 is out, and will be uploaded to /idgames/ today. Now to get some sleep...

Steel drums will never be finished. If I do manage to do it, I'll do a v1.8 release.

I'm proud to announce a v1.8 release (1.8.2 to be exact)! In addition, DMXOPL is now included in foobar2000's MIDI Player component! Now you can use this patch to play any MIDI you want. 

I'm taking a break from this for a while. If anyone finds any real problems (like instruments missing) please let me know!

Just now, BobFromReboot said:

Excellent! How would I use this with Foobar2000?

After downloading and installing the component ( http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_midi ), in Preferences, click Playback -> Input -> MIDI Player. Under Output Plug-in, choose "adlmidi", then at "adlmidi" near the bottom, click "Bank" and select DMX (DMXOPL v1.7). That should do it!

Nice!

I really like DMXOPL, I pretty much only use it for midi playback now in-game.

I do have some issues with the drum sounds, but that's okay because nothing is perfect.

Just now, BobFromReboot said:

Nice!

I really like DMXOPL, I pretty much only use it for midi playback now in-game.

I do have some issues with the drum sounds, but that's okay because nothing is perfect.

I'm planning to do an overhaul of them in future. I am not satisfied with some of the cymbal-based instruments, but there's only so much I can do to address these with 2-op FM synth. If I had legitimate 4-op, there would be no issue.

I'm waiting until I can say v1.9, then never touch the thing again! *knocks on wood*