Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

What caused existence?

=== Only the correct answer is morally acceptable! ===  

27 members have voted

1. 1. === Only the correct answer is morally acceptable! ===

• 1) A god.
    • 2) A superior being (I.E. the universe is something like a snow globe for a science experiment to some creature in an existence millions of times more advanced than our own.)
    • 3) Nothing. Existence is an illusion caused by our inability to perceive nothing.
    • 4) Somewhere along the line, the universe said to itself \"Hmm, I feel like existing.\"

The third one is cool and smart and all, but my mind refuses to believe it, and so it convices my brain that it's incorrect. So I say the fourth one.

This question causes my brain to ache.
I seriously don't know for sure, no one does.
But my first guess would be some sort of chemical process, although it's still very strange that there was probably nothing at all in the beginning. Some scientists say that the universe has always existed. Some say it started with a bang. What caused this bang? I don't know. If there was a superior being that started this all, then what caused that creature to exist? I'm still holding on to the chemical process-story though, although I have no idea what caused that to happen in the first place.. My brain hurts.

I believe God created the universe.

The fact that universe was bored of playing with itself and decided to come into existence makes me laugh.

The universe was spawned by another universe that was spawned by another universe that was spawned by yet another universe and so on.

Everything is just part of something bigger and everything can be divided in to smaller components.

There is no beginning and no end. There is no ultimate being or ultimate truth.

Existence is absurd.

The fact that universe was bored of playing with itself and decided to come into existence makes me laugh.

How is that any odder than the concept of a God that somewhere along the line says to himself: "Hmm, I feel like creating the universe."? 4 is the simplest solution (except for maybe 3) and therefore the one that makes the most sense from a philosophical view.

Cause and effect is a property of the Universe we live in. There is therefore not neccesarily any cause to existence.

Fredrik said:

How is that any odder than the concept of a God that somewhere along the line says to himself: "Hmm, I feel like creating the universe."? 4 is the simplest solution (except for maybe 3) and therefore the one that makes the most sense from a philosophical view.

Well, I'm not speaking from a philosophical POV. I am speaking religiously here, whereas you are not.

Well the answer to this question is still unknown, however. Did existance ever not exist? was there ever a time without existance? that couldnt really be possibe cause there always has to be something in existance, even tho its not reasonable to any degree. So existance has always been around..but how long has the probability of existance's existance been around? Our existance appearently has already been found, but the existance of everything and existance itself, is unknown and the chances are it will always be that way. Also, will existance even end? will existance ever stop existing obliterating everthing that is. Day by day this could happen but never does, cause existance is existance, it exists till there is nothing left of anything anymore.

....This is just sumthing that I thought of, strange, no?

Physicists will tell you that energy and matter are related. Those same physicists will also tell you that energy and information are related. Energy, matter, and information are all related. Thing is those physicists don't seem to think very much about the implications of that.

Ok, so our current view of reality or the nature of the universe is a collection of material objects moving in 3-dimensional space as time flows. When you play a 3D virtual reality type game such as Doom for example what is it you are actually experiencing? Are you experiencing a collection of material objects moving in 3D space as time flows? No, but the illusion is fairly convincing. What you are experiencing instead is a collection of informational events being transversed by association. Each informational event is presented by the game engine by processing many disparate bits of information (player actions, enemy actions, textures, flats, sprites, level data etc.) from a nonsequential database. Movement occurs and time seems to flow because the game engine serves up each event one after the other in the order it is programmed to present them. In actuality time just doesn't exist in Doom's virtual reality. Only events (aka game tics). When you load a saved game you aren't going back in time, you are invoking a specific informational event.

What if the universe is a huge information database (energy, matter and information are all related remember) and what we perceive as reality is the "software" that processes that information into events.
If that is the case then we no longer need to consider when existance came to be because time isn't a factor anymore. We just need to ponder the nature reality or if you prefer, God.

I gotta say no.1 (God)

How else do you explain the concept of write and wrong?

Though I'm surprised at the lack of arguing for a topic as controversial as this.

Fraggle is right. There doesn't have to be a cause.

Y2theJ said:

I gotta say no.1 (God)

How else do you explain the concept of write and wrong?

/me watches Moron Detector 3.14 flash red.

#1 through #2 causes a problem as stated by many philosophers and scientists: If someone/something created the universe, what created that thing/being?. #3 implies that we exist and must somehow have been created by means of options #1,#2 or #4 (assuming we keep within the boundries of this poll)

Thus option #4 is the only reasonable one of those four options.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Well the answer to this question is still unknown, however. Did existance ever not exist? was there ever a time without existance?

Time is a dimension of the Universe. "time without existence" has no meaning. Its like saying "is there a time before time".

The universe is only about 8 years old. It was designed by an Omnient being, his name is John Carmack. He is my God. :P