Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RoozyDoom1999

Trying to make 3D floors but refuses to do something

I started up GZDoom Builder, and in the middle of that, I tried creating 3D floors but it refuses to make it. I've checked the sector tags. They are tag number 1. I'm just a dumb ass 3D-floor maker. Have something to help me.

Guest Unregistered account

Could you provide us with the WAD? Or just an example WAD of you trying to make the 3D floor.

Give a tag to the sector where you want the 3D floor to be. Make a new dummy sector outside the map's bounds. Set the dummy sector's floor height to a height where you want the 3D floor's bottom to be. Set the dummy sector's ceiling height to a height where you want the 3D floor's top to be. Select one of the linedefs in the dummy sector and enter its properties. Give in an action Sector_Set3DFloor (it might be called slightly differently in the map editor, but refers to the same action). Set its first argument to the tag number that you gave to the sector in the map. Set its second argument to "solid" (if you want the 3D floor to be solid, and unless you want to take advantage of its other options). Keep its third argument zero (unless you want to take advantage of its options). Set its fourth argument to 255 (to make the 3D floor visible). Keep its fifth argument zero (unless you want to take advantage of its options).

They certainly didn't make it easy but it seems to be more time consuming if anything.

It'd be easier to understand what you're doing wrong and correct you. Make a test wad with your best attempt to create a single 3D floor (according to my advice or otherwise), and post the wad here.

If you want videos, there are many video tutorials for 3D floors already, just search for them and you shouldn't have problems finding them.

39 minutes ago, RoozyDoom1999 said:

I don't know if I could provide you all with the WAD, but it's the fact about 3D-floors.

The reason I asked for the WAD is so that we could see what you're doing and how to fix it.

3 minutes ago, RoozyDoom1999 said:

Nope. It doesn't fucking work! Make a video for me on how to make 3D floors without struggling with problems.

Ignore the disclaimer at the start, this was posted during an old build of ZDoom. It works in GZDoom too, of course.

Same here for this video. Still doesn't work. For that point, I struggled, and just even kicked my own ass with 3D floors. And I'm just sad now. There's still no ZDoom Visual Mode button.

Check out what Hexen format are you using. 3D floors require either ZDoom: Hexen, GZDoom: Hexen or Zandronium: Hexen formats. They won't work in Hexen: Hexen format.

Next check out the action line: It has action 160.
That it's opacity is 255 (if it's 0 the 3D floor is invisible)
That it's Arg5 (Line ID/Hi-tag) in 0. (The hi-tag is used only non-UDMF formats if the sector tag > 255) 

Yet that the 3D control sector and action line are properly textured. If the line or the ceiling and floor have invisible textures the 3D floor is also invisible. It's rendered though. And that the 3D control sector's heights are fine: their values are within the boundaries of the sector where they should appear.

9 minutes ago, RoozyDoom1999 said:

There's still no ZDoom Visual Mode button.

GZDoom Builder allows you to enter visual mode in any map, regardless of its format. In the latest GZDB, the button is below the middle part of the left panel, and has a keyboard shortcut "Q".

Post images that show properties of the 3D floor's control linedef, properties of the dummy sector, and properties of the in-map sector.

I recommend getting GZDoom Builder, because that renders 3D floors on the fly and you can adjust their various floor heights in the same way you would a normal floor, rather than messing about looking at the control sector.

nvm just realised that the op says you have gzdoom builder lol

He said he was using GZDoom Builder. On the other hand, GZDoom Builder has an option to turn 3D effects off in the visual mode. Make sure you don't have that option turned on.

Well, DB2 doesn't show 3D floors in its visual mode. They still work ingame if made properly.

Just now, RoozyDoom1999 said:

Sorry for using Doom Builder 2, by the way. I lied.

Don't lie. If you use doom builder 2,you need test a lot because db2 doesn't show 3d floors in visual mode. 

I just figured out how to do it with GZDoom Builder, it wasn't really that difficult nor time consuming surprisingly.

Are you still asking for help, or just showing us how you've finally succeeded? The 3D floor in your map works perfectly fine in the game.

2 hours ago, RoozyDoom1999 said:

Nope. It doesn't fucking work! Make a video for me on how to make 3D floors without struggling with problems.

I'm amazed people still helped you after such a demanding and thankless comment.

You did get it working, yes.

I'll tell you what you didn't do though. You didn't once say thank you to any of the numerous people who took the time to help you.