Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

How do you play Final Doom with Pr/GLBoom+?

So, I've been playing Plutonia through PrBoom+ recently, but I've been doing it by selecting the Plutonia WAD and then selecting "Open with PrBoom+".

I assume this isn't the correct way to do so, however, because all of the hardcoded stuff is still left over from Doom II (Intermission text, level names and so on).

Any solutions?

I think you need use complevel for it, but I don't remember which one. Easiest way to setup everything is zdl extension.

P.s. Also, you can change settings in prboom+ and relaunch everything again. 

Edited by MysteriousHaruko

56 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

So, I've been playing Plutonia through PrBoom+ recently, but I've been doing it by selecting the Plutonia WAD and then selecting "Open with PrBoom+".

I assume this isn't the correct way to do so, however, because all of the hardcoded stuff is still left over from Doom II (Intermission text, level names and so on).

Any solutions?

you can use cmd line arguments for this, if double clicking prBoom+ does not detect plutonia by itself (which it should)

"directory\PrBoom-plus.exe" -file plutonia.wad -warp xx -skill y should work if else fails... adding -complevel 2 won't hurt either

There's a launcher (that may have to be enabled from the options first) which lets you pick an IWAD + combination of PWADs to go with it. It's similar to ZDL and quite convenient for loading a texture pack or one of the few cosmetic mods that work in Boom.

Okay. Where should the launcher be? Or how would I access the cmd line?

26 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"directory\PrBoom-plus.exe" -file plutonia.wad -warp xx -skill y should work if else fails... adding -complevel 2 won't hurt either

Shouldn't Final Doom be -complevel 4? I'm not sure though.

The launcher will come with the zip file (downloaded from DSDA), called PrBoom-plus.exe or GLBoom-plus.exe. I usually just double click them to launch the launcher. There are a dropdown list for IWAD (says "Game"), and you can manually click whatever PWAD (says "Files") to load. If going to vanilla Final Doom, just change the IWAD to Plutonia.wad in the dropdown list. If you want to load multiple PWADs, hold shift.

If you don't want to record demos, probably you don't have to do anything with the command line. Everything being default is good enough.

4 minutes ago, Kapanyo said:

Okay. Where should the launcher be? Or how would I access the cmd line?

Launcher = double click prboom-plus exe

If no launcher appears, run a map with prboom, and check the setting to make sure the launcher is enabled.

the cmd-line is the DOS-ish area of windows. Writing yourself a .bat file would work as well... put the cmd arguments in a .txt, save it, rename the txt file etension to  ".bat" and if your arguments are correct, and all the wads in the correct folder it should run just fine...

If no launcher happens, another way to solve it is open "prboom-plus.cfg" or "glboom-plus.cfg" according to which one you use

search for: # Prboom-plus launcher settings

The next line should be: launcher_enable               0

make it to: launcher_enable               1

5 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

If no launcher happens, another way to solve it is open "prboom-plus.cfg" or "glboom-plus.cfg" according to which one you use

search for: # Prboom-plus launcher settings

The next line should be: launcher_enable               0

make it to: launcher_enable               1

Or if setting up mouse speed is not an issue, simply rename the cfg, run prboom with any.wad and it will create a new cfg that is set to defaults, meaning the launcher will appear for sure....

Thanks guys, it worked! =D

Unfortunately, it seems I have to start Plutonia over as the game crashes when I try to load my save. Makes sense, I was really just playing it through Doom II...

hello friend, i strongly recommend acquiring ZDL, it allows you to manage all of your source ports and iwads and pwads and even has a command line at the bottom for putting in parameters like -complevel. you can still use the prboom launcher though, i dunno i haven't seen it

also, you can find a list of complevels for future use here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PrBoom

lastly, you can actually change the complevel inside of prboom+. it's near the bottom on either the first or second page of the general options. just select one and then restart okay goodbye friend :3

Edited by bonnie

...can you please fix that post? it looks like doomwiki.org (good) but it really links to doom.wikia.com (bad)

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

...can you please fix that post? it looks like doomwiki.org (good) but it really links to doom.wikia.com (bad)

fixed, just for you best friend c: