Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Y2theJ

Is this cheating?

When playing doom I often find my self picking up an invisibility sphere, which I think is supposed to help me. But I find it does more harm than good.

Do you doomers consider it cheating to turn the sphere off?

Y2theJ said:
When playing doom I often find my self picking up an invisibility sphere, which I think is supposed to help me. But I find it does more harm than good.

If you have the choice of standing around for 30 seconds waiting for it to wear off, then cheating to save 30s is acceptable. It's just a game, so cheating to save boredom works for me.

OTOH some levels deliberately give you a blur sphere in the middle of a fight, when it can be a nuisance - voiding that would be cheating.

Y2theJ said:

How can you "turn the sphere off"???

Biffy said:

How can you "turn the sphere off"???

IDBEHOLDI will toggle the power up. turn on, turn off. if you really don't want it in a single player game its not cheating, IMO, to turn it off. I find fighting a group of mancubbi harder with the inviso-sphere, like in "dead simple".

Oh, by the way, please don't put one of those blur spheres in deathmatch wads. :)

Hm, i though i was the only one who did this. i find myself turning off invulnerability spheres too, situation permitting of course ;p

VileSlay: you're using a "cheat code" but you're not cheating, eh?

Hehe... I think the usage of cheat codes is ALWAYS cheating, even if you type IDBEHOLDR because the green screen annoys you ;-)

If you record a demo (in vanilla doom anyway), gameplay affected by cheatcodes will render the demo useless, or in anyway different than the way you recorded it. The invisibility sphere is best used in DM, since it's a real life human (or so we hope) at the other end of the cable, who REALLY can't see you, not just some monster that sees you and 'randomly misses'.

scorpion said:

...not just some monster that sees you and 'randomly misses'.

Yeah! and usually randomly misses right towards the place that I am dodging too.

Enjay said:

Yeah! and usually randomly misses right towards the place that I am dodging too.

Exactly! It did give me an idea, though. If you played DooM soooo many times that even Nightmare isn't fun anymore, just type IDBEHOLDI every time you're visible again, this might make the game a bit harder and thus more interesting...?

Just an idea

Hmmm... never mind the post above, stupid idea...

...almost made me smash my keyboard (I can't seem to keep the agression just in the game)...!

Because you don't know where the projrctile's gonna go, and your instict is to strafe when you see an enemy shooting. So you may end up strafing right into the projectile. Or something to that effect.

Y2theJ said:

Well, in turning it off you're losing a powerup instead of gaining one, so really it's not cheating. Especially if the outcome is the same as not turning it off (in your case, going into battle without the sphere).

Most of the time the sphere is useful, especially against lead-slinging monsters, but is a definite no-no against cyberdemons. It can hinder against baby spiders as well, as their plasma goes in a straight line, which is the key to dodging them as well as setting up in-fights.

The only powerup I turn off is the lite-amp, as most of the time it's not needed and only screws up the lighting effects, and in some cases can make the map easier. (if it's needed though, I leave it on)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, in turning it off you're losing a powerup instead of gaining one, so really it's not cheating.

What about cases where the author has designed the map so that you are forced to pick up the partial invisibility before going into battle against fireball-hurling monsters? Surely it is cheating to turn it off then, since you are using non-legitimate means to make the gameplay less challenging than intended.

Also, I recall the text to a demo (possibly an NM demo on TNT) stating that one room would have been almost impossible without the invisibility, but that the next one would been much easier without it. He therefore chose to pick it up, and suffer the consequences in the second room. Or maybe it was the other way round. Anyway, it illustrates the ambiguity in the invisibility's usefulness.

You sometimes see maps where you actually want to deplete your health to get a better time (E1M8, and TVR! map14 spring to mind); turning off a power-up there would be definitely naughty. Likewise in a movie run, you might prefer to die upon exiting (and so start the next map with 100% health), rather than exiting with 1% health.

The invisibility can sometimes be helpful against fireball-hurling monsters too, if you are trapped in a place where you can't move much. See, for instance, my NM demo on map12 of TVR!.wad (see http://www.doomworld.com/sda/tvr.htm); that mancubus would surely have fried me if it had been able to target me more accurately.

Nah, it is cheating. Any cheat code used except idmus is cheating. One can do whatever he or she wants when playing and not recording or something, but that doesn't change what things are called and what they are. Particularly in this case, where the partial invisibility sphere makes it harder to avoid fireballs from monsters you're keeping an eye on. A designer could even place one of those eyes in a place full of barons, where it'd be a problem if picked up. It's good only against monsters with weaponry or in DM, it's bad otherwise. Some things don't turn out how the designers imagined them, but that does not mean they are not part of the game. Think about all the bugs and tricks that are now part of the game and were not initially considered: item grabs, strafe running, etc. ...the fact that partial invisibility can be a nuisance is also part of it.

As for the lighting thing you mention, that'd only be when you are "checking out the architecture." When playing one is knee deep in the action, not thinking "hey it would look better if i could see the different lighting shades on this spot."

Edit: this reply was directly to Ultimate Doomer's, just like Grazza's. It's what we call cross posting. Heh.

myk said:

Any cheat code used except idmus is cheating.

OMG! So when I habitually type in IDCHOPPERS at the start of a level, I am a rotten dirty cheat? :P

myk said:

Edit: this reply was directly to Ultimate Doomer's, just like Grazza's. It's what we call cross posting. Heh.

Heh. And my edit (the final paragraph) was then a cross-cross-post. This could go on a bit.

Edit (to Mods): Sorry, I had forgotten this was in the "Questions" forum - apologies for the BS. Won't happen again. :)

Is there actually any use to IDMYPOS. I know it gives you your X & Y co-ordinates. But why?

Y2theJ said:

Is there actually any use to IDMYPOS. I know it gives you your X & Y co-ordinates. But why?

It like helped with the testing or sumthing, I can't remember Im quite vague on it, meh, someone else will probably know, and post it soon enough.

Yeah, it's something that must have been useful during development.

According to "DOOM Totally Unauthorized Tips & Secrets" (1994):
The coordinates are handy to send out in a message over a network game to other players. It makes finding you easier. You also can document secret doors by their coordinates if drawing out a map.

Um, yeah.

That is, if you're a 1337 coder that can read hexadecimal numbers on the fly.