Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Have you modded outside of Doom? Let's talk about it.

I for one have very little to share. I very briefly futzed around with QUARK (an early Quake editor) some 20 years ago and before that I changed some sprites and textures for Wolf 3D. That's about it for me. But what about you guys? I'd also like to hear how those experiences compare to modding for Doom.

I made an ugly Killbox level for HL1 using Hammer editor, a 3D model to use as a level for a Blitz3D game using Blender, and lots of Unreal Editor levels, I think they offer more flexibility compared to Doom editors but they also take you longer to get things to look good, you have to craft alot of Static Meshes to use for decoration manually, 1 Static Mesh is like 1 Doom map.

Most of the stuff I made hasn't really been finished or released. I started modding with Adventure game creator on the AtariST. 
Then on PC I mucked around with the resources of Stunts and managed to do some hacking there.
Worked a bit with an early game creation suite called Klik 'n Play. Made a few games with that, though only one got released and I am 99,9% sure that it's lost a long time ago too.

Then I got hold of DoomEd for Doom.

Still worked in Klik 'n Play for a few years. Tried to make a Myst style game in it for instance.

Tried out map editors for Warcraft2 (iirc),3 Starcraft and Red Alert. and stuff like that.

Basically anything I could get my hands on I took a gander at.

Tried modding for Quake1 when it came, but I only had a 486 so it was pretty much not worth the effort.

First Quake game I made maps for was Quake3. While I built a complete map for it. I never released it.

I also made maps and textures for Quake2 for a while. But none of them were ever completed or released.

Also worked a lot in RTCW making maps and textures. Again, nothing released. (Both Quake2 and RTCW was from when me and Kurt Kesler worked together, in trying to create a project together. But we kept having issues and started over several times. And in the end life came in between everything and nothing came out of it)

Doom3 was up next. Worked on a mod called Doom3 Phobos for 5 years or something. They are still working on it. But the majority of the work I put in to it will probably never see the light of day. 

EDIT: then I made maps for Heretic, and subsequently Hexen.

Also worked on a texture pack for me and my friends Minecraft adventures. Though it was based off of another texture pack so I never released it.

Also tried my hand at making a Minecraft adventure map. But got bored.

Tried out to mod Wrack. Found that it had a lot of options. 

Also fiddled around in Cube.

These days I am working with Darkplaces, which technically blends tech from Quake, Quake3 and Doom3. 

EDIT: added a bunch of other stuff that I had forgotten all about.

Edited by kristus

Made a great deal of Super Mario World levels over the years using Lunar Magic, though never released any of them. Never really figured out custom graphics or music, tried for eons and kept failing so gave up. I still mess around in the editor from time to time. Also made some very basic custom scenery for Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, mostly assets ripped straight outta Doom and Mario RPG just because it was possible.

I wanted to make maps for Mario64 as well but utterly failed. From what I've seen the editing tools have gotten much better over the years though so I may take a stab at that again some time.

I just recently started mapping for Quake, where I started with Trenchbroom, then moved onto using Jackhammer instead.  Hopefully I'll have my first map out by next year.

Back in the day I used to do maps for ROTT, and was quite good at making them, but nothing was ever released.  If I ever find (or make) a decent ROTT editor that works on today's OSes, I'll get around to finishing up my levels and release them.

For various types of games, usually lower level mod stuff. Half-Life, STALKER, Quake, etc.

It all started with GTA mods for me. Back then when I was like 12/13 years old I visited GTA mod sites daily and found MEd one day, a map editor for GTA San Andreas. Later I also found SA-MP and from there I met people from GTAStunting.net(my first "community" I joined). Those people basically use the GTA vehicle physics to perform stunts with the bikes or cars, ever since GTA Vice City.

I basically started out with editing textures, so you could "skin" your bike, but sadly I have lost most of those files. But I found this.

And with SA-MP I made some small gamemode and a small "fun" trainer(which somehow ended up on some russian sites), "fun" because none of the functions affected other players or would give you a huge benefit, stuff like cars can fly or drive on water.

Then I found Garry's Mod and started to learn how to create maps for the Source engine, but never really released anything.

Edited by torekk

A long while ago I used to make what's called "jump" maps for Call of Duty 1. The basic premise of a jump map is to jump from platform to platform to reach the end of the map. Think of it as a first person platformer in a sense. I got pretty good at jumping and decided to learn Radiant and make my own maps, my first attempts were trash but I soon made some quality maps that ended up being run on several jump servers. Those were good times.

Before I got into Doom modding, I used to make poor rom hacks for Super Mario Bros 1-3, and made a few dungeons for a PC port of Legend of Zelda entitled Zelda Classic.  All the works I did for these have been lost to time.

I used TES Morrowind's editor a lot. For every MOD out there I would integrate it into my game. I had dozens of cities and expanded cities. Funny thing is I was never that good at making Doom levels, but TES is more adding stuff and it still feels good or balanced in the game. I suppose before TES I'd use Lunar Magic to make a bunch of Super Mario World ROM hacks. Later in life I'd use SMB X to make Mario levels and I'd make maybe 6+ in a day.

Now I just make my own old school games usually for game jams. One day I would like to make my much talked about "Revenant Saves Hell" game. In a way I've been working on the engine 6+ months since last October. Just the engine, none of the art. Its getting close to having the engine done, but I doubt it will be out in time for this Halloween dooting ceremony.

I made a couple of Red Alert 1 maps long time ago (my favorite RTS along with C&C1).

I made levels for Quake and Quake 2 and Half-Life but I never finished any of that stuff. I was working on a set of maps for HeXen 2 but that project died years ago. Also have a set of unfinished maps for Heretic..

I made several Bladematch type of maps for Heretic 2 and at least one DM map. Those are out there somewhere. haha

YEM9zfRl.jpgtzEuEugl.jpg

Made a couple dungeons for Oblivion and Skyrim but I never did finish that stuff and I made an unreleased farm house to keep my shit in. I also messed with Morrowind for a bit. Made myself an underground house mod in Balmora.

Have a half-finished resource pack for Minecraft in the works.

aHElH0Cl.jpgfAu1fLxl.jpgeZSauizl.png

Edited by Doom_Dude

I made over 2000 levels for Elastomania in the past few years. I was called designer of the year in 2016. Making levels for the game is very fun and rewarding. With some skills you can make something enjoyable and quite pretty in just 15 minutes, often less. After you're done you can immediately start your level as a battle (best time done in X minutes) and watch players from all over the world compete in it (they don't see each other so that they can't steal route ideas, but you can see everyone). And unlike in Doom, knowing the level inside out doesn't make it less entertaining for you, only more because you can play it better then. Here is a random replay of one of my levs: http://www.recsource.tv/r/ciwjmyptzh

I'm currently working on a map for Quake (https://ibb.co/kVR0ha) and have created a couple maps for Door Kickers.  I've tinkered with Serious Sam and always wanted to map for it but am too lazy to learn the editor enough to map fluently.  I'm also tinkering with Descent.

I used to map for quake using 'deathmatch maker' in the late nineties, anyone ever heard of that? It was pretty terrible, so I started using a demo version of 'qoole' which was much better but was limited to a certain amount of brushes.  I ordered the full copy from America on mail order and it took 2 bloody weeks to arrive, felt like ages!   Knocked quake mapping on the head when I got sick of waiting 6+ hours for my ancient pc to compile the bsp.   Used build extensively to make a few duke3d maps, the in built editor for half life to make a couple of mega basic maps for that, and even a GTA1 map at some point!   Then I turned to doom mapping with windeu (sans 3d mode-texture aligning was basically making walls to fit textures).  I've considered going back to quake mapping but not sure what editors exist these days, can you still get qoole?

Yep, I used to mod a lot for Prince of Persia, using already existing resources of course. Also made levels for platform games like Jetpack and others several years ago. Not modding itself but level editing. 

I made a couple of pip boy backgrounds for Fallout 4. Thats about as complex as I ever got concerning modding.

Back in 2003-2007 I was really into making hacks for Super Mario Bros 2, 3, and Megaman 2. I wasn't familiar with the english language and the internet, and the editors were difficult to use and it was easy to mess up things and break your work, It was really frustrating at times and I had to make costant backups. I gave up on many stuff but I was also able to finish many others. Biggest thing I did is a hack of Super Mario Bros 3 with all the worldmaps and levels changed. I never shared anything of the stuff I made.

2 hours ago, dt_ said:

I used to map for quake using 'deathmatch maker' in the late nineties, anyone ever heard of that? It was pretty terrible, so I started using a demo version of 'qoole' which was much better but was limited to a certain amount of brushes.  I ordered the full copy from America on mail order and it took 2 bloody weeks to arrive, felt like ages!   Knocked quake mapping on the head when I got sick of waiting 6+ hours for my ancient pc to compile the bsp.   Used build extensively to make a few duke3d maps, the in built editor for half life to make a couple of mega basic maps for that, and even a GTA1 map at some point!   Then I turned to doom mapping with windeu (sans 3d mode-texture aligning was basically making walls to fit textures).  I've considered going back to quake mapping but not sure what editors exist these days, can you still get qoole?

Use Trenchbroom 2:https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom

You'll need to point TB2 to this for textures: www.bspquakeeditor.com/files/quake_wad.zip

The main site is down for some reason so I don't think you can download it right this instant.  It's very easy to use though, similar to Doom Builder in scope but for Quake.

I've made stuff for Quake and Half Life 2. Infact, I started mapping with the source engine, but at the time, I didn't finish anything. I would them move on to making stuff for quake, and eventually doom. My most recent quake maps can be found in community projects like Fire and Brimstone and retrojam 5 and 6.

5N2YDhv.png

VkIeIZZ.png

Some various unreleased hl2 stuff:

GkKQlks.png

qLpifxD.jpg

L3u8WEJ.jpg

I once made a couple of maps for the original StarCraft, then another couple for StarCraft 2. That's the extent of it for me, though.

I made a few simple Quake models. Mostly prettier remakes of the existing weapons.

Then there was a Marathon Apotheosis map a few years ago.

mINt551.png

I wanted to maybe make some more, but I didn't like the level editor. It lagged when there were too many sectors on the screen, and generally wasn't as user-friendly as Doom Builder. It also bothered me that the game won't allow you to tweak the thing placement on individual skill levels. The ammo is always the same; the enemies are semi-randomly replaced with stronger equivalents on harder difficulties. Like if the hell knights were replaced with barons, and cacodemons with pain elementals.

Great lighting though.

Modding games used to be my biggest hobby, back around 1998-2006. I worked on a Quake2 mod called SOG (Some Old Games), which blended elements from Wolf3D, Doom and the first two Quakes together. I contributed the programming and most of the single player maps.

Then I made two RTCW single player maps, named 'Brabant' and 'Ameland'. Both had a rural setting and were situated in the WWII occupied Netherlands.

My next plan was to go all out on a Doom3 single player map, situated in Amsterdam during the events of 'Hell on Earth'. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of development time (years) such a map takes. After putting in quite some effort I eventually lost interest. I never managed to finish or release the map.

Recently I've regained some interest into modding classic games, so slowly I'm trying to get back into my old hobby.

I made a bunch of very basic GTA SA skin edits in the past, and one time I also made a few cosmetic edits in Terraria, like reskinning the chainsaws to look like the Toothbrush from Chibi-robo, and the mime mask to look like Jason Voorhees' hockey mask.

Veeery long ago I also made some maps for Sauerbraten using the in-game editor.

Well i modded for Diablo 1/Hellfire but stopped after i got limited because i didnt have time to learn coding language back 5+ years ago. It was harder also because no source code has ever been released. Blizzard crypted all the shit, which is dull.

Modded also in Warcraft 3, making some maps for the sake of fun. 

The first game that I ever made any "serious" maps for were the first two Descent games. I had bought a pack that included all the classic Descent games, mission-packs, and also an editor called Mission Editor 2 (I think?). It was very buggy, and it crashed frequently, but it was just good enough to make levels with. It was definitely a fun experience, but since we didn't have internet back then, I haven't released any of that stuff online.

Later I also made several maps for Counter-Strike (back when it was still a mod) using the WorldCraft editor (before they renamed it to Hammer). I even ran some of those maps on my own server that I used to rent with some friends of mine. They weren't really all that special though, but the learning experience was pretty cool and I still prefer the approach of WorldCraft over that of classic Unreal (which I couldn't really get into at all).

Some odd years later, I stumbled across some Doom mods and decided to make my own levels for it. I was pretty much sold on Doom modding from that point on.

Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2 - Editors are tile-based

Populous: The Beginning - Editors are paint-based

I made a lot of maps for both these games.

23 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I wanted to make maps for Mario64 as well but utterly failed. From what I've seen the editing tools have gotten much better over the years though so I may take a stab at that again some time.

If you venture back into this please message me, as I would like to join in. I've made a... bit of a map for SM64 before. Agreed, the tools weren't too good at the time.

On topic, I've modded Doom, Doom2, Quake 3 & Openarena, made silly extra items / levels / things for several games, RPGMaker 2003 game(s), a few small-time projects for game jams and/or general game development, Custom interiors for a friend's server on GTA:SA's SA:MP (Server was called TRP) and lastly a medium office map for Counter Strike: Source/Half Life 2/Garry's Mod (Primarily prop-hunt on Garry's mod)

@Memfis getting me nostalgic with the elastomania shout there, damn!

Most of it I don't have the files or screenshots for, except the aforementioned Garry's Mod map, with screenshots below (mostly in the spoiler tag)

0799d77ff21143637530c7a656304bd5.jpg

205634ac424e77fb01788bf0a486c5bd.jpg

3d59f301453f5094fc0f20c1b68177e2.jpg

3940605e6fc5a3d6dc79340aba03ba1e.jpg

070a0c3844d3deda26ffc79931f91886.jpg

ab4673d7b5fdf41928080400529e80da.jpg

Edited by Dragonfly

1 minute ago, Impboy4 said:

Populous: The Beginning - Editors are paint-based

Sorry for the double-post but, do you still play? I've not played in a long time but I still have my CD around somewhere. Whenever I played online I got my ass handed to me though, would be fun to play with someone who isn't seemingly god-tier, heh.