Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goosepants

Are DOOM and Wolfenstein in the same universe?

I was reading some stuff on the doom wiki where something about a wolfenstein rpg where there's a harbinger who becomes the cyberdemon or something? Just kind of curious if this is true.

it must be because map31 and 32 are not holographic doomguy's memories of time space and Nazi invasions in earth space the Nazis couldn't stop the demons so BJ blastmitzvah had to finish the job and he is doomguys uncle who works at Nintendo.

Edit: There is the whole name thing with Commander Keen etc too but whether it's all real cannon...hmmm

They are in the sense that studios will purposefully insert commonalities in most or all of their IPs not only because they all belong to the same company, but also as an inside joke. Take that as you will.

Well in one of the mission packs for wolf3d you do find crates that have the U.A.C. logo along with monitors that show mars and earth.

Well if you want to go by Doom2's intermission text:

CONGRAULATIONS, YOU'VE FOUND THE SECRET
LEVEL! LOOKS LIKE IT'S BEEN BUILT BY
HUMANS, RATHER THAN DEMONS. YOU WONDER
WHO THE INMATES OF THIS CORNER OF HELL
WILL BE.

It's from Doomguy's perspective (albeit having a direct fourth-wall break destroys the narrative as believable) so who knows if it's like, an actual corner of Hell for Nazis or what. If we're to take it even the slightly bit seriously, the fact that the levels exist and look incredibly similar to the layouts in Wolf3D imply a same-universe connection. Of course, then you'd have to explain the hanging EGA Keens...

I have this theory that the Wolf3D levels in Doom2 are evidence that, over the last ~300 years, humanity has shrunk to around a third its original size. It also explains why Doomguy is so fast and slippery!

My theory is this:

Back in the early 90's, a really smart guy named John Carmack invented an advanced (for the time) virtual 3D game engine that could run on the PCs of the day. His co-workers were thrilled, but they lacked a story/theme to put with the engine and make magic happen. Their inspiration finally came during an after-hours session of D&D, when this fellow named John Romero overran the world with demons 'cuz his character got upset about something not going his way -- or something like that. They thought that a demon invatsion would make a cool game... and it did. It was such a hit, that they came out with a sequel on the same engine.

They thought it would be funny and amusing to reference a previous success in this game, so they hid a couple of Wolfenstein 3d levels in it. Just for grins and giggles, they also put a few Commander Keens for the player to kill. The game was a huge success, and had a strong cult following over 20 years after its release.

Fast-forward to the current day: Some people sit around a virtual campfire and try to explain how Nazis could possibly have wound up in hell. Besides the obvious reasons, of course. They begin by constructing a system of laws of the game universe, covering all fields from physics to sociology. They then construct a history of the various peoples and events in this universe, based on evidence found in all the Doom games, all the console ports, and even a few Wolfenstein games.

But all their conjectures were in vain, because they had lost sight of one important fact: In the beginning, John Carmack said, "Let there be sectors." And it was so. Then John Romero said, "Let the sectors form an Entryway." And it was so..... As soon as the Icon of Sin died, the game universe ceased to exist. The Nazis were there because and only because the creators of the universe put them there.

Sorry, couldn't help myself! :-P

3 hours ago, CapnClever said:

an actual corner of Hell for Nazis or what.

Maybe the Nazis that were sent to hell see the demons as inferior, and plan to take over hell in the same way they planned to take over Europe during their mortal life. So they built a fortress and seclude themselves within, training their troops and planning their next move.

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass here. But that would be a sick plot for a movie or video game.

38 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

So they built a fortress and seclude themselves within, training their troops and planning their next move.

@42PercentHealth, I think that could be the story you need, for the map you chose in the Recycled CP. It all makes sense now, how the SS soldiers got in the <<river of lava>> hellscape and have built a tech base there! :)  

Also it reminds me of the river Styx that leads to Hades (Hell in ancient mythology) and Charon with his boat (the boat from the beginning of the map), who was supposed to take the lost souls (not the Doom ones) with him and lead them there (maybe the events of the wad started, after Doomguy died and went to Hell).

On 6/2/2017 at 4:40 AM, Linguica said:

someone will come in and say that well you see in the Wolfenstein RPG for old cell phones the end boss is a demon that gets an arm and leg blown off and it becomes the Cyberdemon in Doom, and in Doom 2 RPG there is a character named Joe Blazkowicz or whatever so there is a id Software Deep Lore that goes through all their classic games blah blah blah.

You completely forgot to connect also Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Quake to the bunch.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:25 PM, CapnClever said:

I have this theory that the Wolf3D levels in Doom2 are evidence that, over the last ~300 years, humanity has shrunk to around a third its original size. It also explains why Doomguy is so fast and slippery!

Woah, it all makes sense now. How the base would even fit on Phobos and everything.

Wait, that also means cyberdemons are average human-sized, lost souls are just really big mosquitoes and you could probably keep most monsters as rather angry domestic pets.

It really sucks the demons killed ALL the dogs in the aftermath of the hell invasion, and somehow the Doom Marine doesn't have a taste for dog food anymore even though it's arguably what they were feeding him in the MREs he probably eats all the time

Are there any Doom or Wolfenstein references in Quake?

There are many Doom textures appearing in Quake 1. In this screenshot there are 2 on display

easteregg_dopefish_11.png

On 6/1/2017 at 9:24 PM, Goosepants said:

I was reading some stuff on the doom wiki where something about a wolfenstein rpg where there's a harbinger who becomes the cyberdemon or something? Just kind of curious if this is true.

Its in the Doomstien universe. I even wrote a fanfiction proving it:

Its on the Internet so it must be true.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Are there any Doom or Wolfenstein references in Quake?

In Quake 2 you have a BFG.

And Strogg crates are present in Quake 1.

On 6/2/2017 at 7:13 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

Their inspiration finally came during an after-hours session of D&D, when this fellow named John Romero overran the world with demons 'cuz his character got upset about something not going his way

So Doom is actually the result of John Romero making everybody his bitch back then?

12 minutes ago, Maes said:

So Doom is actually the result of John Romero making everybody his b*tch back then?

That's about the size of it.

Daikatana was the result of his assumption that anything he made would go over huge just because he made it... Easy mistake.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, ShotgunDemolition said:

Also it reminds me of the river Styx that leads to Hades (Hell in ancient mythology) 

Technically Hades was the god of the underworld, not the underworld itself.  The "hell" of ancient Greek mythology was called Tartarus, over which Hades ruled along with the other parts of the underworld (e.g. the Asphodel Meadows and Elysium).

In a very cool twist, Tartarus was considered to be vaguely sentient itself, and relished in the suffering of the souls condemned to it.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Daikatana was the result of his assumption that anything he made would go over huge just because he made it... Easy mistake.

Well, that, and the fact that he had OVER 9000 frogs in it.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Technically Hades was the god of the underworld, not the underworld itself.  The "hell" of ancient Greek mythology was called Tartarus, over which Hades ruled along with the other parts of the underworld (e.g. the Asphodel Meadows and Elysium).

Well, Hades can be both the god and the kingdom of the dead actually, which can be confusing (ok, not Hell, my mistake on that one). And yes Tartarus is the real deal, when talking about Hell. And basically, almost everything (rivers, sea, sky, sun, sleep, death, life, fertility, music, lightning e.t.c.) was or had a corresponding god in ancient Greece, so it is somewhat logical, that they thought Tartarus had the ability of thought, although it is still weird thinking about that.

Despite me being Greek, all these stuff I had to learn in my school at the age of 9 or something (some of them I never even heard), during my 3rd class of primary school, so I forgot a lot since then and thanks for correcting me.  :)