Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cacomonkey

Question about Laz Rojas and Wolfendoom recommendations

I downloaded that enormous compilation of Laz Rojas' Wolfendoom.  Which ones are the best and worth playing?  And is it true that Laz Rojas the struggling performance artist/filmmaker in LA and the doom wad author are one and the same?  I just watched that documentary on him and half-expected him to pull out a box of all his maps & tools for the Wolfendoom wads from that storage facility but he never did.  Or have I been had and it was a joke?  His other topic here is locked so I couldn't ask my question there.

Yes,  it's the same guy.  

Operation Arctic Wolf and the Astrostein series are probably his best work.

^ Astrostein, good memories. I used to hate Laz Rojas' WolfenDooms because I didn't know how they worked. 

I don't remember them at all but I really like what he did in map 17 from Spear of Destiny. 

So basically anything after 2003 or so is when his Wolfendoom wads started getting good.  I noticed he loves HUGE areas with many enemies at the outer rims slowly converging on the player, or impossibly long hotel corridors and hallways also with enemies slowly coming right at ya from the far ends.  Thanks for the recommendations, boys.

The concept of Astrostein was really good. I really liked the overall environment of nazi space bases and the design of space soldiers. The new weapons are also pretty good with nice sound effects that you might listen from Sci-Fi movies. When I played moon base level in the recent Wolfenstein game, that level immediately reminded me Astrostein in a good way.

The downside, however, was cryptic progression; as cryptic as Eternal Doom in some cases. And the layout of some levels are highly symmetrical, making the gameplay predictable and boring. Still, it remains in my memory as one of the most interesting classic doom mods.