Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevanos

Stardate 20x6 + 20x7 demos [-complevel 9]

Awesome map and a really nice run!
Would be cool if more people also streamed their attempts live but I can understand why not with the extra effort it takes and pressure it can put on the player.

For Stardate 20x7 map05, is it possible to get max kills/secrets? I played that map and there's a teleporter to the room with 4 archviles and imps that teleport in seem unreachable without no clip...

17:06-17:10 is the problem.

I hope someone can uv max this legit... I'm just not sure if it's possible to get 100% kills/secrets without noclip and would appreciate it if someone can help me out ;)

Stop, drop, open up shop. I'm here to bring y'all the map01 UV-Max everyone been waitin' for. Every item has also been collected.

Fifteen minutes and five seconds. Can you handle the speed?

st701-1505.zip

You can't. Entering the parameter does nothing as far as I know. I just kept it in since it's part of my copy+paste for recording stuff that supports it.

Says who? It's purely cosmetic while recording and doesn't change the actual aiming. All my other casual maxes on DSDA have it too. 

Interesting point to raise. In PrBoom+ freelook is only visual. In particular, if you delete the footer (or for playback use an engine that ignores it) the demo remains in sync, and completes normally. So it seems to belong in the class of enhancements we might call information leaks*, many of which are already widely accepted.

________

* by which I mean, the player can see or know more than he would be able to in vanilla: other examples being widescreen for a 20% or more increase in peripheral vision, turning off palette flashes to avoid being blinded on taking damage, or even on-screen totallive/sectorcount/leveltime display, which are helpful for knowing if you've missed something, or if your run is too slow to bother with continuing. Of these only palette flashes seem more than minoritarily controversial (cf. previous thread).

nice zerk strat in the 4-av room, unintended, but clever ;D. I keep trying to design encounters that force the player to abuse the reduced-vile-damage gimmick (by pressing against a ledge and taking 20 dmg vs. ~90) but to-date I can't recall seeing anyone actually do it that way.

5 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

nice zerk strat in the 4-av room, unintended, but clever ;D.

Thanks :) I did it to conserve shells and it makes sense to use for the initial two Archviles as you can trap them easily, and it's faster then using SSG if you get high damage rolls.

I hope the luring imps and that lone hellknight strat at the purple pool fight was the intended method, otherwise it looks impossible xD

Also can you explain how the friction enabled sectors work by the exit? Looking in Doombuilder it looks like they are tagged to have the effect permanently enabled by three sectors outside the playing area. However I had a few casual runs where I reached the exit and the friction didn't apply and was completely baffled, was it a glitch or do the crushers need to be perfectly in alignment with one another at a certain height? I tried replicating the effect to see if their's a consistent strategy but it puzzled me, I lost two runs because of that heh :D Since if it breaks I'd immediately lower the wall and run near the back and just have the Afrits infight with the Cacos and Revs while I shoot them in the back, I assumed I broke it on said two runs after messing about with the crushers in -nomonsters, only to be confused and disappointed ;_;

12 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

nice zerk strat in the 4-av room, unintended, but clever ;D. I keep trying to design encounters that force the player to abuse the reduced-vile-damage gimmick (by pressing against a ledge and taking 20 dmg vs. ~90) but to-date I can't recall seeing anyone actually do it that way.

pretty sure i did this when DWMC played it; or are you talking about in actual uv-max runs?

11 hours ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

Also can you explain how the friction enabled sectors work by the exit? Looking in Doombuilder it looks like they are tagged to have the effect permanently enabled by three sectors outside the playing area. However I had a few casual runs where I reached the exit and the friction didn't apply and was completely baffled, was it a glitch or do the crushers need to be perfectly in alignment with one another at a certain height? I tried replicating the effect to see if their's a consistent strategy but it puzzled me, I lost two runs because of that heh :D Since if it breaks I'd immediately lower the wall and run near the back and just have the Afrits infight with the Cacos and Revs while I shoot them in the back, I assumed I broke it on said two runs after messing about with the crushers in -nomonsters, only to be confused and disappointed ;_;

I assume you saved at some point during these casual runs. Loading a saved game in prboom-plus breaks boom friction effects (ie, switches them off), for obscure and supposedly unfixable reasons. It's kind of annoying, and presumably a big part of why you don't see more mappers using the effect.