Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

How do I start?

Guest MIND

After being so let down by Doom 4's SnapMap and wanting to start building amazing levels myself I've decided to say fuck it and use Doom 1 and Doom 2 as well as the first 2 Quakes. My only excuse was "the graphics aren't good enough", "it's too old" but I don't care. I want to use Doom Builder and ZDOOM to get started. I want to create!

Where do I get a copy of the game though? I have Doom 1, and Doom 2 on Steam as well as Quake 1 and 2 plus the Plutonium pack and some of the add ons.

If you have Doom 2 on Steam, all you need is the DOOM2.WAD from the Steam subdirectory. Copy it into the same directory as wherever you've unzipped the ZDoom download and it should work fine.

Guest MIND
2 minutes ago, Linguica said:

If you have Doom 2 on Steam, all you need is the DOOM2.WAD from the Steam subdirectory. Copy it into the same directory as wherever you've unzipped the ZDoom download and it should work fine.

Do I need GZDoom or ZDoom?

Can you give me links to the downloads? I don't know which specific one to get.

If you want to play with others online, either competitive or coop, Zandronum is the way to go. It is built on ZDoom (and GZDoom), and while it is a bit behind on fancy features, it is always working on catching up, and it makes multiplayer easy.

Here is the thread for the latest version of Doom Builder (GZDoom Builder Bugfix): https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=54957&

Here is an outdated-but-still-helpful tutorial for the original Doom builder: http://doombuilder.com/files/doombuilder1guide.pdf

And of course, ask questions here.

Edited by Empyre : link was messed up

Guest MIND
49 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Is GZDOOM the editor? I put the Doom 2 WAD file in the GZDOOM folder. When it starts up Doom 2 boots up.

GZDoom is the game executable that uses doom2.wad to play the game. GDZoom Builder is the editor (link in my post above). Zandronum is another game executable that makes multiplayer easier, with a more modern client-server model and a server browser.

Guest MIND
1 hour ago, Empyre said:

GZDoom is the game executable that uses doom2.wad to play the game. GDZoom Builder is the editor (link in my post above). Zandronum is another game executable that makes multiplayer easier, with a more modern client-server model and a server browser.

I downloaded Doom Builder instead of GZ Doom Builder.

11 minutes ago, MINDustry said:

I downloaded Doom Builder instead of GZ Doom Builder.

You might want to compare the features, GZ Doom Builder has some extras that are possible to do in Doom Builder, just a bit easier in GZDB. I switched myself because of this. If those extra features don't interest you then by all means, use DB :) In any case, good luck!

Guest MIND
3 hours ago, Linguica said:

Is GZDOOM the editor? I put the Doom 2 WAD file in the GZDOOM folder. When it starts up Doom 2 boots up.

Ok, I'm using GZ Doom Builder, whenever I start up my map and select the game config to Doom 2 and press ok it gives me a warning saying "your about to make a map without selecting any resources, do you want to continue". Is there something else I should be downloading?

40 minutes ago, MINDustry said:

Ok, I'm using GZ Doom Builder, whenever I start up my map and select the game config to Doom 2 and press ok it gives me a warning saying "your about to make a map without selecting any resources, do you want to continue". Is there something else I should be downloading?

Im pretty sure GZDoom Builder is the one that needs the Doom 2 IWAD

On 8/10/2015 at 11:30 AM, Linguica said:

THE OPENING VIEW

After GZDB has gone through its opening initialization sequence, you will be presented with its main editing screen.

Builder%20at%202015.08.09%2010-45-32.673

Start by clicking "File" and then "New Map". You will be confronted with a "Map Options" screen.

Builder%20%28Map%20Options%29%20at%20201

For now, click the top dropdown and choose "Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format"). Then near the bottom of the window, click "Add Resource..." and navigate to where you have a copy of DOOM2.WAD stored. If you have Doom 2 through Steam, this is probably at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doom 2\base.

Builder%20%28Add%20Resource%29%20at%2020

Once you click OK, you will be at the main GZDB editing screen with an empty map in front of you.

On 8/10/2015 at 11:30 AM, Linguica said:

STARTING FOR REAL

Before starting for real, let's save the configuration for the current mode. Press F6 to enter the Game Configurations screen. Make sure "Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format)" is selected on the left hand menu, and then click "Add resource...". Navigate to your DOOM2.WAD folder again and select the WAD. Doing this will ensure that GZDB remembers where to find it for this configuration from now on.

MAP01%20%28Game%20Configurations%29%20at

Once you have done this, return to the main screen and begin a new map. You can do this via File > New Map, the dedicated icon on the left side of the toolbar, or by pressing Ctrl-N. GZDB will ask if you want to save the current changes; say no, then click OK on the Map Options screen again.

6 hours ago, Linguica said:

There's no need to copy anything; ZDoom knows how to find Steam games. And GOG games, too.

First you get de builder, den you get de power, den you get de women.

I also recommend learning to use Slade, which is a multi-purpose wad editor. When you get the hang of how to use Decorate in Slade you can put together some nice little map packs with custom title screens and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Impie said:

First you get de builder, den you get de power, den you get de women.

I must be mapping wrong because that isn't happening here!

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

I must be mapping wrong because that isn't happening here!

same here.

First you get de builder, den you get de power, den you get de women

Made my day.

Anyways, download either Doom Builder 2 or GZDoom Builder. As long as you have one.

Setup the editors, such as what IWAD to use, then follow Linguica's tutorials, which really helps. Create a simple practice map to learn the functions of DB2/GZDB and how to use them.

A lot maps use custom resources. This requires a bit more knowledge, because it could be new monsters, weapons, textures, etc. For that, a WAD editor is required, such as Slade. You'll learn eventually. Or you could use Deutex to do the dirty work for you >:D

In your practice map, you need these essential things:

Player 1 Start
At least 1 Sector
Exit switch/sector (to exit the map)

Once you're done, save it and a WAD file should be in your directory. Run that WAD file with the correct IWAD on an engine, such as GZDoom.

Edited by Voros

Guest MIND

Begin your drawing by clicking with the right mouse button at the point indicated in Figure 1.2. The exact location of your first click does not matter, but you should allow space for drawing to the right of (and also a little to the left of) and below your starting position. You can, of course, scroll the display later if you find that you need more space, but life may be a little easier if you plan not to have to!

Having placed the first point of your map, move the mouse to the right and draw a horizontal line (Angle: 90) that is 900 units or so long. (Do not worry if GZDB won’t let you have a line of exactly 900 units. This is normal.) This is line 1. Now add successive lines of the lengths and angles given in Table 1.1. Again, don’t worry about getting the values precisely as specified.

This part confused me^

I don't know what the values in the table represent and where to look.

40 minutes ago, MINDustry said:

Begin your drawing by clicking with the right mouse button at the point indicated in Figure 1.2. The exact location of your first click does not matter, but you should allow space for drawing to the right of (and also a little to the left of) and below your starting position. You can, of course, scroll the display later if you find that you need more space, but life may be a little easier if you plan not to have to!

Having placed the first point of your map, move the mouse to the right and draw a horizontal line (Angle: 90) that is 900 units or so long. (Do not worry if GZDB won’t let you have a line of exactly 900 units. This is normal.) This is line 1. Now add successive lines of the lengths and angles given in Table 1.1. Again, don’t worry about getting the values precisely as specified.

This part confused me^

I don't know what the values in the table represent and where to look.

The angles in the table are in 360 degrees like a circle so the angle 0 for example is north, 180 is south, anything in between 0-180 is on the right hand-side of the imaginary circle, any angle between 180-359 will be on the left-hand side of the circle. The point on the map where you're drawing the line from is the center of the circle.

The length is just that, the length of the line that you're drawing. The different angles make the lines form a hexagon.

Guest MIND
On 6/6/2017 at 6:18 PM, MrSkeltal said:

Read through all of Linguica's tutorials. They're what got me started on mapping. Chubzdoomer isn't too bad either.

Well, I'm using Doom Builder with GZDOOM and following Chubbz Tutorials and this is really fun. Super accessible. Much easier to understand than SnapMap's logic System.

I think I'm going to stick with mapping for Doom 2. Thanks for all your help.