Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Odd mod idea based on dream

I dreamt this morning that I was working on a mod that was essentially a collection of sprites and textures meant to expand the Doom universe. Basically, all the stuff you might expect to see on a UAC base, or in Hell, that would logically fit with Doom's aesthetic, but was never crafted. I almost feel like this might be pointless since there's a lot of assets pulled from other shooters that seem to fit well, and yet I woke up feeling like this was a novel idea. Thoughts?

I think that making stuff that would logically fit with Doom's aesthetic was/is probably the goal of most artists who ever made custom graphics for Doom.

And the idea for making a collection of them is behind the whole "Doom-style" category of resources on Realm667, some monster and/or weapon randomization mods, and many other random wads with custom content yet trying to feel classic-styled.

Edited by scifista42

Hard to think about dreaming about doom

on the case of different type of things going on in the doom universe its possible, it has been done before i mean.

I don't mean monsters and weapons so much as like, computer equipment, chairs, plant life, soda cans, TV monitors, lockers, med lab stuff, etc.

There are many Doom-style decorations on Realm667 too. Also in many mapsets whose creator felt like making them to give uniqueness to his work.

It depends, I couldn't do textures to save my life but I do think the vanilla sets are limited in some areas. If you expanded on the originals and manage to nail the look and feel, I think maps made with those textures will feel 'fresher' than ones with recycled textures from other shooters that most people probably seen before.

I haven't looked around to see what texture packs are available as I want to keep my first maps vanilla but am I right in concluding from your post that there are no texture packs available that try to expand on the vanilla textures without being very different?

37 minutes ago, BadLuckBurt said:

I haven't looked around to see what texture packs are available as I want to keep my first maps vanilla but am I right in concluding from your post that there are no texture packs available that try to expand on the vanilla textures without being very different?

http://realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/doom-style-mainmenu-153-87237

The "Useful Doom Edits" and "Useful Flats" are extremely vanilla. The rest can vary a lot.