Find results in...
KVELLER

Do you like using texture filtering?

Do you use texture filtering?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use texture filtering?

• Yes
    • No

Because I don't. I like using it on fully 3D games such as Quake, but in games like Doom, texture filtering makes sprites look like absolute garbage IMO.

aw come on, Total Chaos ain't that bad. :D

Just now, R1ck said:

aw come on, Total Chaos ain't that bad. :D

But Total Chaos uses 3D models, doesn't it?

I only use texture filtering in GZDoom, but without HQ resize mode (it looks odd to me). So I probably vote NO.

Even in games like Quake I prefer no filtering. It depends on the art resolution - low-res stuff doesn't look very appealing when blurred, high-res stuff doesn't need any excessive jaggedness.

There are exceptions like Doom 64, which was designed with filtering in mind, and looks marginally better with it enabled. I started playing Stronghold recently, and felt like turning in on as well.

Color depth also plays a role.

No. (I only use it if forced: *cough* every Quake II source port *cough*)

No,not in Doom,not in Quake and not even in Quake2.

Its much easier on the eyes when everything is sharp and crispy.

5 minutes ago, Spectra said:

(I only use it if forced: *cough* every Quake II source port *cough*)

Should be able to toggle that from the console/config.

I liked it at first but for some reason i started to dislike it and disabled it, you can't see textures properly with it's enabled, plus they look better without smooth edges.

I tried it for fun the other day but my eyes and brain started screaming NOOOOO. In games of this resolution, pixels convey a lot more than colour.

No, I don't even like it in Quake. I like seeing the pixels in textures in older games. Makes it feel/look more retro and gives them more charm.

Never, not even in Quake II. The textures just don't work well with filtering. It's only when you get to Id Tech 3 and similar engines that filtering looks better.

I used to play with it on all the time, but recently started playing with it off.  I don't really mind either way to be honest, I certainly don't think filtering looks as bad as I know a lot of people here do.  

If the map uses high resolution textures I tend to turn it on as they look better, whereas the pixel art of the IWADs definitely looks better with it off.

My preference is to use trilinear filtering for minification, but no filtering for magnification. That way I don't get the blurry look, but also not the aliasing that you get when using no filtering in the distance. With the software renderer I use bilinear filtering with mipmaps for minification, but only because it seemed too expensive to implement trilinear there.

Yes, mainly due to all the aliasing that starts to look messy in the distance. Although apparently some settings fix that. In GZDoom I combine filtering with xBRZ 3x resize which makes for a smooth but still sharp look for all the textures and sprites. In GLBoom+ I ScaleX 4x everything.

I leave it turned on.  My vision is crap anyway, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

5 hours ago, KVELLER said:

But Total Chaos uses 3D models, doesn't it?

Filtering also applies to models.

36 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Yes, mainly due to all the aliasing that starts to look messy in the distance. Although apparently some settings fix that. In GZDoom I combine filtering with xBRZ 3x resize which makes for a smooth but still sharp look for all the textures and sprites. In GLBoom+ I ScaleX 4x everything.

You can use a linear mipmap with nearest textures in GZDoom to alleviate the aliasing. I think the software renderer has mipmaps too now.

I prefer having it off so I can appreciate the painstakingly awesome pixel art of textures, monsters, particles, and items.

No, i always turn it off in 2D games, i think it makes everything look like absolute trash. The first thing i do when setting up Gzdoom is turning off the filtering.

I like my pixels not looking like felt that a child haphazardly cut with a pair of safety scissors.

11 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Filtering also applies to models.

I was asking because I don't mind texture filtering on 3D models, so no, I don't think Total Chaos looks bad. It's quite impressive honestly.

No, at least definitely not in low-resolution games like Doom or Quake. (It's another issue if we're talking about high-resolution games where the textures are in a lossy-compression format such as DDS and the aesthetics have been built around texture filtering.)

Still use anisotropic filtering, though, but that's a different sort of filtering.