Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neo Te Aika

Neon's Freedoom Music Project (Submissions: 3!)

Original post below

Spoiler

A few of Freedoom's older tracks sound a little out of place with the new maps in my opinion, fair enough though with all of the constant updates; it's awesome to see Freedoom's activity has really picked up recently. I'm going through a few maps where I felt that the assigned current music didn't fit. I'll upload some here and I've got one to start with, with C2M1 in mind. I felt like the track needed to have a more uneasy intense sound to it so I whipped up a quick rock track for it. Nothing too intense, but I think it goes quite nice with the rocky beginning environment, and fits the pace pretty well imo. What do you guys think?

Composed with FL Studio 12 and a Roland SC-55 (GM compatible Mk.I), GS effects may be used in some tracks, including reverb, chorus, filter cutoff and resonance. These effects simply just won't trigger if your MIDI device doesn't recognize them, so it won't sound terrible all of a sudden.

All tracks are tested and optimized to sound good with these soundfonts and MIDI devices:

Spoiler

Freedoom v0.11.2's OPL set (via DOSBOX and Nuked OPL3)

Ultimate DOOM's OPL set (via DOSBOX and Nuked OPL3)

DOOM II's OPL set (via DOSBOX and Nuked OPL3)

Duke Nukem 3D's OPL set (via Apogee OPL3 Software Synth)

Timidity++ stock patches

GUS stock patches

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (also FMOD Default Sound System in earlier versions of ZDoom), but you miss out on reverb and chorus FX!

Arachno Soundfont 1.0

AWE64 Gold Presets, but the guitars in this soundfont sound like absolute snot!

AWE64 Gold FM Presets/OPL3 128MB, but (Free)Doom's OPL patches sound way better!

Choruim Rev. A

Musyng Kite

Patch93's SC-55 Soundfont, but the real hardware sounds leagues better!

Retro Synth PC, but it will sound more funky. Not a bad thing though!

SGM 2.01

Weed's GM V3 (and V4 Update)

The Ultimate Megadrive Soundfont, but this isn't the 32x version so it still rocks!

Roland SC-55, the system it was composed with. It should sound identical on all revisions of the SC-55, probably including the SCC-1

Roland SC-8x(xx). Probably...

Edirol Virtual Sound Canvas (VSC-MP1)

Roland Virtual Sound Canvas (2016 version)

Yamaha SYXG50

These are of course just my ideas for Freedoom. Feel free to use them or not, but I would absolutely love to hear feedback! Cheers!

Into The Tomb

Shoreline (Updated)

Fight or Flight

EDIT: Here are my thoughts on the current soundtrack.

Spoiler

I think the issue with the soundtrack is that there's no consistency, due to all of the tracks being from completely different sources. They're all (mostly) good but the flow of each chapter seems odd. Listening to Phase 2 right now, it seems much more suited to the game than about half of Phase 1 (Chapter 1 and 3 are pretty good though). It might be good for someone to go over all of the songs and just tweak them all a bit to at least be more consistent in volume, and some tracks could use a few slight enhancements imo. I might make a cover of current Map01 to show what I mean.

Edited by Neo Te-Aika : Updated Shoreline; Added Fight or Flight

Glad to hear that. I really felt it needed something heavy since it's the first map for the episode and it relieves me to find someone that agrees.

I'll look at this tomorrow. Never really like the E2M1 music because of the intro.

8 out of 9 tracks in Chapter 3 were made by 1 person, hence it does feel more consistent.

As for your new C2M1, it's a cool track, but I think it would fit better somewhere in the middle of the episode rather than the first map. Maybe its because of the rhythm. TBQH, I believe the first map should have something that creates a impact on the player. C1M1 and C3M1 both seem to have this effect, with one being basically rock (I guess?, I don't follow music much) and the other being some creepy atmospheric track consisting of organs and guitars. Current C2M1 feels generic though, so it would cool to see it replaced with something better.

Maybe your C2M1 track can go in C1M6 or a FreeDM map (FreeDM could use some upbeat music)

Ah yep. Thanks for your feedback! I can see how it might be much more suited to FreeDM, where intense tracks probably belong better. I'll keep chucking up some more tracks here, anyone absolutely feel free to use them.

18 minutes ago, Voros said:

I believe the first map should have something that creates a impact on the player. C1M1 and C3M1 both seem to have this effect...

EDIT: Actually going from what you said there, howabout a track like this one I made for DUMP 3. This track itself is probably way too intense because I intentionally tried to make it as Bobby Prince-ish as I could but in terms of the in your face-ness perhaps it's more suitable? 

Killing Floor.zip

Edited by Neo Te-Aika

killing floor sounds familiar to me... i'll try explain better there in a edit.

well the poblem is not a music be too tense its just a matter of how it play, if you consider what a say try to see TNT, most of it soundtrack is awsome and very intense, btw plutonia uses stock musics from doom1 and to say the truth i dont like doom2 original soundtrack, it seens pretty lame. (except 2 or 3).

Second submission added to first post called Shoreline. This track is all out action, so would probably be well suited to E3M8 (although I quite like what's already there), another large slaughterfest-ish map, or a DM track perhaps?

Shoreline (Updated)

Edited by Neo Te-Aika : Updated Shoreline

FreeDM needs more love right now. Especially with music. But the higher priority here is not replacing tracks, but bringing them to a specific volume. This alone will help in keeping consistency.

I'll look at Shoreline within a week.

If it'd help the project out, I can go through each WAD and balance the current tracks. I can also enhance the use of panning and velocity to make a few subtle improvements. I'm already working on an arrangement of Map01 that I can submit later, based on the average volume level of C3M1's MIDI (that seems like a good starting point for me at least)

Here's an updated version of Shoreline (also edited other posts) and another track. Fight Or Flight. This was my go at an I Sawed The Demons type track a while ago but i never finished it. I tidied it up and added more so it was longer than like 30 seconds. Could work well in FreeDM but I'll need to work a bit longer on volume balancing.

Fight or Flight.zip

Edited by Neo Te-Aika : Track updates

Seens a very decent music, from what a heard since now this fight or flight is the best of them actualy they fell more After-intro music stile, nice work.

About the edit of i forgot to post "Yes i see its similar to one of freedoom's music"

(if you guys dont mind i say) i have a personal taste to rise of triad musics stile i wonder if something familiar to it can be placed in freedoom.

18 minutes ago, Xindage said:

(if you guys dont mind i say) i have a personal taste to rise of triad musics stile i wonder if something familiar to it can be placed in freedoom.

Something like this?

Here's what I'm working on for C1M6 at the moment, although it probably doesn't mesh very well with a techbase map. Perhaps it would be better for one of the (whatever Freedoom's version of hell based maps would be called) style maps?

C1M6.zip

EDIT: That was actually the wrong MIDI, here's what I was working on, although maybe that could be good too.

C1M6.zip (Actual one)

Edited by Neo Te-Aika

20 hours ago, Neo Te-Aika said:

Something like this?

no, actualy i never had the reatil version of rott so i'm not sure of i know this music (or i simple dont remenber this one (its not my type too)

my fav is this one (sorry only there i found the real original one)

i like guitar, but this music dont have it and its still great, i cant tell it why.

Back to topic:

Your c1m6 music dont fit in episode 1 this is sure looks a good music at his base (fell tnt, this is good) but its too short and i played few maps whit this music and it gets too repetive and boring after 4 minutes, i suggest you try extend it whit an extra/diferent "touch" keeping the original base track. (if you can uderstand me)

Possible assignments:

Fight Or Flight -> FreeDM map10

Shoreline -> Phase 2 map07 

shawn -> FreeDM map07 (shawn=current map07 midi in Phase 2)

Into The Tomb -> Phase 1 c1m6

Please don't kill me over the map07 arrangement. Even I'm not entirely sure about it.

Heh, no worries. I'm just relieved to hear that my music may actually be considered for the project. :)

I've been pretty busy lately, hence why I haven't posted an update. I'll be uploading another track within the next week.

Into the Tomb -> c1m6
Shoreline -> map11
Fight or Flight -> dm07/dm10

Would this suffice?

Sorry work has been dragging me around quite a bit lately. I can see that working pretty well. I've got some new MIDIs to upload soon as well.

That c1m6 (the dark one) is pretty good. How about putting it in map23?