Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Albertoni

"Walking Simulator" Community Project

Hello everyone. Welcome to this thread where I'm reviving this old idea of mine in a more free form than originally envisioned.

What is this?

The idea is simple. Just like 64 Shades of GRAYTALL was based on using the worst textures possible, these maps will be based on using one of the best features of Doom. Movement.

Movement is a bit hard to describe in full. Dodging monster fire in a slaughterwad while keeping the infighting active? Movement. Timed puzzles? Movement. Switch hunts? Movement. Platforming? Exploration? Dodging crushers? Enjoying the sights? All movement.

The idea is to make you think on things in a slightly different way. Instead of "how can the player kill all these monsters", think "how can the player move in this combat?" I'm not saying to remove combat, instead, for example, the monsters may have some form of tactical advantage, be it because they're chaingun or revenant snipers and you have to move closer as there's only the SSG as a weapon, or because they're cacos you have to dodge while jumping on tiny platforms.

Just a collection of puzzles? That works too. A Hexen-y exploration map? Sure!

Or hell, if you're like me and got this map that's just a collection of nifty effects and architecture, give it a bit of polish and post it. As I said, admiring the sights in a museum is still walking.

--------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT INFO

Format: Anything that runs on the latest version of GZDoom. While good old -complevel 9 is more than enough for 90% of the maps, I don't want to exclude that 10%. If you're using advanced features, please test your map on GZDoom's software renderer as well; Some people just can't afford new hardware to get the OpenGL support GZDoom needs and the software renderer still has quirks like sloped 3d sectors being invisible. If you want to use MAP07's special action or E1M8's, feel free to, as MAPINFO allows you to set that to individual maps in any slot. Jumping will be enabled by default, but your map may turn it off (Because doing things the other way around is too confusing).

Quality control: Must be considered an attempt in good faith to make a fun map where moving around is more important than combat.

Custom content: Please preface anything you'll add with 3 characters based on your username. For example, I'd add mine as ALB_****. Don't go too overboard either, up to 5mb is fine, up to 10mb if you're doing something very nice, more than that and you'll have to ask me.

Custom music should be either MIDI or something that I can personally confirm as being legal to use in such a project, but please do scout out some nice public domain tunes in modarchive.org if you can.

Custom monsters from Realm667 don't need to have their sprite names edited, but if you're adding things via DECORATE, please post as soon as possible the editor numbers you'll use to minimize conflict.

Secret maps: We won't have traditional MAP15 secret map exits. If you want to collaborate with another mapper to make a secret map, or make 2 maps where one is secret, that's fine.

Pistol starts: If you're doing something that needs a pistol start, feel free to use ResetInventory in the MapInfo, or ask me to do so. Your map will be put at the end of the WAD, along with all others that require a pistol start, however.

Episodes: While I'd prefer to divide things up in "traditional combat", "minimal combat" and "no combat", I feel that could become boring, and the borders are blurry. I'm up for ideas on this one. Maybe mix things up a bit, putting no combat levels between more traditional ones as a breather.

Deadline: March 20th. To be released April 1st. I find it a fitting date for something more out there like this.

--------------------------------------------------

DO'S AND DON'T'S

Mazes by themselves are no fun. Same with switchhunts without any hint of what to do next. But hey, I don't have to tell you guys that, right?

Dodging Cyberdemon and Archvile snipers are obvious ideas.

Cacodemons can fly. That allows for fun chases in open areas.

Slaughter-ish map where you don't have any weapons other than the pistol until you get to the exit.

Little silly things like "Doomkid goes to school" or "Doomguy has to go file his taxes" or "Doomguy got a DUI and must walk home, with liberal usage of Quake actions to shake the screen".

Low gravity platforming can be very fun.

Portals. Doom's abstractness and spaces that can't fit in normal 3D spaces go very well together. Do be warned, enemy AI doesn't work well with portals, so this is more for an exploratory map.

Edited by Albertoni

26 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Deadline: March 20th. To be released April 1st. I find it a fitting date for something more out there like this.

To confirm, that means March 20th 2018, yes?

If so, with such a loose deadline I'll probably make something for this down the line. I got an idea in my head which makes use of ZDoom features, but I need time to refine that idea in my mind and make it entertaining. I also need to finish up all the other projects I got on the go.

2 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

To confirm, that means March 20th 2018, yes?

Yep! But if you can figure out a way to submit something for this before March 20th 2017, I'd be interested in knowing how. :)

Well it felt almost like a total typo due to how far in advance the deadline is - had you not specified the whole april 1st part I'd have been sure it was in error :P

I had a couple of movement specific sections of my last major release that might be rather fun if they were spun out into full sized maps.

Count me in!

That's the idea, @Dragonfly. It's such a different thing that I both want to give people some time to think, and time for people to clear out their projects. I can't see me in a year without time to spend in this community either, unless I get hit by a literal bus or something.

I am already designing a "cross-country Doom adventure" map, and in my latest experimental iteration (aka bare bones), it takes a full minute to reach one corner from another corner. Of course, it will get complicated as the map develops! Main motto: "How does Doomguy travel from facility to facility or city to city when on Hell on Earth?"

Will arrive with a update after 3 months :D

Now this is an interesting idea. In fact, I already got a little kindling of an idea for a map. Count me in!

I'm actually interest in this since I have a few ideas for a platforming map with minimal combat.

Plus the March 20th 2018 deadline is convenient since I'll be busy starting in the next couple of weeks on RL stuff so hopefully if things go all right on my end I'll have time to whip something up :)