Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMer 4ever

The coolest doom monster?

What do you think is the coolest Doom monster. I would say imp, I just love shooting imps with single shotgun. On big monsters I like maybe arcvile the most, because it's death animation is so cool!

I like the revenants least, since their death animation is lame and they're annoying when placed in tight corridors.

I remember posting already to a similar thread... I think I answered the revenant, but I think they just look cool and their heat-seeking missiles rock - just not when you have <10% health and are running in some open field...

I'll have to say I like the combination lotta Imps - single barreled shotgun best!

The coolest monster is the cybie hands down.
Why? Because it looks and sounds cool silly :-)

Man, how many of these kinds of threads have there been already?

Still though, I would say that the Baron of Hell is my fave. Why? He's big, bad, and he bellows at you when you first see him. Oh, and he's pink, too. Pink is SUCH a cool color :P

DooMBoy said:

Pink is SUCH a cool color :P

O_o
Pink is branded a goody girl's colour. I wouldn't wear anything pink even if paid.

I like pinkies most for the sole reason that it's fun to take down huge groups of them one at a time with the SSG.

does quake 2 monsters count?

if so, then those flyers.

if not, baron of hell.

Arch-Vile, damnit.
Why? Lanky, scary, bringy-back-to-lifey, fire-burny bloke.
I stick to my convictions.

Those d00ds with shotguns are pretty cool. Blasting imps with single barrel shotgun and one shot is also cool :)

I've heard those flying things that look like midgets with jetpacks (if that's what you mean) are called Icarus.

As for my favorite Doom monster, it would either be the Arch Vile for his resurrection ability or the Pain Elemental for his Lost Soul spawning "attack".

Other favorite monsters:
Heretic - Maulotaur
Hexen (original) - Heresiarch
Hexen (Carnage Galore 3) - Blood Lich, with the Chaos Mutant a close second
Hexen 2 - Imps (both kinds). That big red summoned Imp would be my favorite, but it's not an enemy.
Quake - Shambler or Vore, depending on the circumstances
Quake 2 - Haven't played it enough to really have a favorite yet
Quake 2 (The Reckoning mission pack) - Those guys that shoot the red laser beams

arch-vile hands down. fast, powerful attack, resurrection, cool sounds and death. thing freaked me out more that any other doom monster when I first saw it in circle of destruction.

The coolest doom monster?

The Baron of Hell. Also in the same class of 'coolness' are the Archvile, Spider Mastermind Pain Elemental. Nothing else qualifies.

DooMer 4ever said:

. On big monsters I like maybe arcvile the most, because it's death animation is so cool!

I agree, but most of all, i love that gargling sound it makes when it dies, very different from the others.

I like how the revenant breaks in half with that SNAP! sound, very satisfying cuz i hate the bastards.

VileSlay said:

arch-vile hands down. fast, powerful attack, resurrection, cool sounds and death. thing freaked me out more that any other doom monster when I first saw it in circle of destruction.

True dat, u2?

Ichor said:

...Icarus...

Thanx, couldnt quite remember the name.

Quake 2 - Haven't played it enough to really have a favorite yet

I have, you'll learn to love it!

Quake 2 (The Reckoning mission pack) - Those guys that shoot the red laser beams

I need to get out more, don't have that one.

Yup the Arch-Vile is the 'coolest' monster. He can attack other monsters without retribution and when he explodes/gibs a monster it's real cool.:)

the Arch-Vile...when you have like five of´em in the icon of sin.... it really hurts..

Favorites for Doom - CyberDemon and CacoDemon. The CyberDemon is an icon monster in my time as a FPSer. He's somewhat goofy in act, but vicious in attack, unless you're a good strafer in Doom. He can also take a lot of punishment. Cacos is the next because he just plain looks goofy and is always giving anyone in front of him that funny smile.

Favorites for Heretic - Maulotaur and Iron Lich. The Maulotaur is Heretic's equalviant to the CyberDemon, except they are weaker in HP, but usually in huger numbers than Cybies[try STSR in the last level of Episode 5, as there's almost 10]. The Iron Lich for a similar reason to the Cacos: goofy smile, tornado attack that's funny to watch if another monster gets caught in it.

Favorites for Hexen - Chaos Serpents[Green and Brown]. I liked the Chaos Serpents[including D'Sparil's in Heretic] because of their shape, and again, the goofy smirky grins on their faces. Also, Hexen's were better because they could chew on you and make Parias patties out of you as well.

Favorites for Hexen 2[and PoP mission pack] - All Werecat enemies[Were-Jaguar, Were-Panther, Were-Tiger, Were-Leopard]. These guys were overall one of the most cool/nasty breed of foes no matter where the heck you fought them. Speed, charges, rolling under attacks, rolling to the side, shield bashing, projectile repelling, hacking, and that nerve-piercing roar that makes them immune to damage while they're doing it. If any other enemies, the Golems[all three types], because they're durable, can dish out damage fast, and the Iron and Bronze Golems and their sliding attacks make them a little unpredictable to a newbie.

Favorite in Heretic 2 - Carthourian Assassins. These guys were very tactical players in Hr2, and they're ability to use smoke bombs to move around instantly could easily irritate me in some places.

Favorite of Quake - Shambler. 50% resistant to rocket attacks, a killer with melee attacks, and a thunderous bolt of lighting that almost always hits if you're in his direct sight.

Favorites of Quake 2[and Ground Zero and The Reckoning] - All varities of the guards, as they have many cool ways of death, some are very good shots, yet they are still cannon fodder, and some will even trip and fall over in the easy skills, sometimes making you waste a good rocket or railgun slug on them. Otherwise, the Hornet[Big Gun guardian] was also a killer with twin chainguns and QUADRUPLE rocket launchers. He was pure definition of overkill at times with that thing.

[EDIT: Extending my favorites to 3DR and other FPSs]

Favorites of Duke Nukem 3D[including Atomic Edition]: Pig Cops, Enforcers and Battlelords. The Pigcop was an unique concept of an enemy when I first played Duke. Somehow I grew to like the grunting little police piggies. Enforcers were the first true FPS enemy I fought that could jump off the ground and onto higher areas. Their chaingun and spit made a challenge to players with only a Pistol on them at times[like in the first level of Episode 3]. I don't usually post bosses[even though I like many of the FPS bosses], but the Battlelords can also be mini-bossed into normal enemies. They've always sported a goofy looking face of anger and malice when fighting you, and they also look like overgrown monkey beasts in armor. They can also reach out long distances with their mortar cannons.

Favorites of Shadow Warrior: Rippers and Guardians. Rippers where one of the first FPS enemies in a non-Quake game with the ability to attach to the walls and rebound off of them at players. They also were funny with beating their chests like normal gorillas sometimes do. Finally, when he kills you he rips your heart out and holds out it in front of you for a few seconds and then runs off. You could also blow one up and use his heart as a weapon. Guardians were also cool in SW, because due to maybe a bug, whatever sized you had them in a BUILD map reflected their size when you played the map in the game[you could have mice-sized Guardians or near Godzilla-sized Guardians in the same places]. Their eye fireballs were nice, but you could also take their heads as a weapon and use their fireballs in different styles, including that irritating trail flame the Shadow Ninja uses.

Favorites of SiN: Bachrodai and Reconah. Both were in a way based of the same source: dead bodies long since found at various places, transformed into either chaingun-toting machines of destruction[Reconah] or lankey, tall beasts with long right arms with two huge claws on the end[Bachrodai].

Sorry for making this so dang big.

Da blue Nazis. :P
Seriously though I’d say the Cyber Demon. Maybe the Baron of Hell too. I like fighting em in tight corners. :)

CyRaptor said:

I never knew Shamblers took 50% rocket damage. that explains a lot...

You're a little behind here :-)
I've known that since 1997 or thereabouts.

The best way, although it may take a little longer, to kill a Shambler is with the super shotgun. The super nailgun is quicker, but it uses up a ton of ammo. The thunderbolt is also nice, but it has limited range and there aren't very many cells around in the game.

Of course, if you have the quad damage, all you need is two or three super shotgun shots, heheh.

This is the Arch-Vile (except he's normally orange-flesh colored). He's about as tall as the Imp, but he's at least three times as fast. His attack is about the most feared in the entire game. He gathers some kind of fiery energy, then blasts you with it in an instantaneous, powerful shot that can send you across the room (assuming you survive). The only way to avoid it is to hide behind something.

But that's not all.

If he comes across a dead monster (except Spider Mastermind, Cyberdemon, or other Arch-Viles), he can resurrect them to their former selves with full health.

Sounds like fun, doesn't he?...