Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addemup

The Military Organization PWAD Collection

This is (going to be) a DOOM 2 PWAD Collection where each of the WADs in the collection, as they are released, become progressively more complex. So far, the only released WAD is Battlepair (bltpair.wad), which consists of only two simple maps. The next map I plan to release is Fireteam, which will consist from three to five maps (I haven't completely decided yet).

It's only been tested with GZDoom 2.4.0; I'm not sure if it works on anything else.

Downloads:

btlpair.wad (27 KB)

fireteam.wad (53 KB)

Edited by addemup

I should've given some screenshots a long time ago:

MAP01 "Labyrinth":

DOOM-2.PNG.ce707bbda5d8f16946ea20393ab1f1f3.PNG

DOOM-3.PNG.6f7350cfbcf3ce454053b03333c2b340.PNG

DOOM-4.PNG.5a83a28635bec848576438906b0c3b36.PNG

MAP02 "Fractal":

doom-5.PNG.044f46f0cc5267d8d828bcf009f98357.PNGDOOM-7.PNG.98e4a66d05c61af67f98c27e332aafb4.PNG

DOOM-6.PNG

23 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

mh... from the screenshots looks ok for a first map, if this (or these?) is your first map...

Well, unfortunately, these aren't my first two maps. The maps I made in the past will probably remind you of TerryWADs (I was really stupid back then; I shouldn't have even made them).

Hopefully I can improve my skills with Fireteam. I haven't even started working on them as of this post.

Those screenshots look extremely plain. Play a couple SP maps from the old vanilla days such as doomcity, hellrun, bermuda etc. to get an idea what can make your map 'pop' even using the most basic of features and eye candy. Even if you have something fun to play with great monster setups and whatnot, no one wants to play mono-textured maps consisting of 90 degree hallways. I don't intend to be harsh mind you, just suggesting you up the visual aspect by at least one notch if you want to get a few people playing this and leaving feedback. Stuff as simple as windows to the outside world, computer panels, blood splats, and indents in the walls and use of the game's various decor objects to make the place not look quite so boring.

I've released a playthrough video of Battlepair, since apparently no one is going to play it:

Also, I've just finished the first map of Fireteam. 3 more to go :)

Some screenshots from the first (unnamed as of this post) map of Fireteam, whit the first two now being complete:

eslOPthh.png

a7tUHcSh.png

5CkY95Th.png5y5yqq0h.png

5CkY95Th.png

I'd say you need to add a little more detail and "outness" (IE outdoor areas)

22 hours ago, Glaice said:

I'd say you need to add a little more detail and "outness" (IE outdoor areas)

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely do this in the next two maps of Fireteam.

Good news, everyone - Fireteam has now been released!

I'm still releasing a v1.1 per suggestions by players.

So I have played both of the wads and it took me around 5 minutes and each of the levels are less than a minute long, which is really short for six levels in total. Battlepair doesn't really have anything to offer compared to the countless other wads similar to it, that being a bunch of simple square/rectangular rooms with a few Possessed Soldiers and Imps with plain looking textures and design. There isn't any sense of abstract level design or eyecandy to it, it's pretty much two plain looking levels with 2 minutes of gameplay, which is not very exciting either.

Fireteam is a slight improvement, but still not exactly there. While rooms aren't exclusively squares with an industrial appearance this time, it still is underwhelming as while you did made use of invisible monsters, there isn't any surprise to them like a closet or having them teleport, even things like that can make encounters more interesting. Doesn't help that for the most part you still fight them in just small square rooms, even the caves (If you can call them that, no offense) are just square rooms with some Imps thrown in. You got to expand a level to be somewhat non-linear and more of a journey than a series of square rooms with basic monsters, otherwise you get something that is forgotten within 10 minutes or less. You got to make a vision with your levels, it isn't limited to basic square room after basic square room.

These are some of the simplest maps ever created, I think :D