Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ImpMan11203

Why are you still playing classic Doom?

What makes Doom and Doom II so addicting to you? What is it that makes Doom keep its hooks in you even though its 24 years old by now? Just curious

Edited by ImpMan11203

I read this question and found out that sometimes I would think that "being a human is boring, why I have to do this even though I'm 29 years old?" JK ;P  I originally thought you're sarcastic, but until I saw the other post.

I suppose Classic Doom means the official entries, not including other WADs. Seriously, in my opinion, Classic Doom has the perfect combination of everything. The correct feeling of FPS, with resource & strategic movement planning, music and difficulty. Even though nowadays there are harder WADs, original Classic Doom entries are still fun to play. I found out that talking further will result in $h!ttalking modern games or maybe players... so probably I should stop.

By the way, there are people playing / running even older games, like games in 1980s, so don't judge a game by its age, it doesn't mean anything.

35 minutes ago, ImpMan11203 said:

What makes Doom and Doom II so addicting to you? What is it that makes Doom keep its hooks in you even though its 24 years old by now?

Classic Doom does certain things these days that "modern FPSs" can not dare to dream of: Large scale slaughter maps, for example. It sure has many limitations of its own, but classic doom delivers in terms of gameplay if the map is well designed. That's why it's still awesome. Gameplay is what matters the most to me. I don't care how pretty modern FPSs are, they don't play well for the most part.

16 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

By the way, there are people playing / running even older games, like games in 1980s, so don't judge a game by its age, it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, didn't mean it like that, just wondering makes Doom so special to people that they'd like for so long, for me it's basically what you just said, the maps, the (freakin awesome) music, the levels, the enemies, etc....

Because it's fun.

There's something still utterly entrancing about the weapon balance, bestiary and aesthetic in general that keeps me coming back; if I've got 20 minutes to kill on a train or something, you bet I've got a handheld with DOOM installed on it - I'll quickly fly through an episode between stops.

And of course, modding the fucker is easier than stubbing your toe on furniture. AND I STUB A LOT OF TOES.

A mix of nostalgia and enjoyable gameplay for me. My skills are very rusty but I was playing Nine Inch Heels' Recycled CP (I think) map last night and at some point I got into this room and it looked like every monster in the level decided to join the party. You'll have to excuse the godmode, I died within seconds first time around XD and I wanted to check out the sights. I did go with whatever weaponry was in the level and this was the result:

jUm9gMV.png

I was grinning like Doomguy after that, I may have cheated, still felt damn good :)

Despite all the engine's shortcomings it's still the game with the best handling. I find it odd how later games failed to acknowledge this and implemented player movement so much worse.

And of course the endless supply of maps is another big factor.

I was joking, so don't take those seriously. Glad that you enjoy Doom. I like Serious Sam the most for modern games because it has the feeling of Doom, but it's sad they went on the wrong way in/after Serious Sam 3.

One factor is that endless decision making and action during the fight. Most of the modern games don't provide this. Although sometimes the battlefield seems chaotic, how to find the breakthrough point is the key to success.

It's just so damn fun.  I love the combination of fast action and exploration.  Plus it's so easy to make levels for it, which is a big plus for me.

• Endless supply of mods
  • Very easy to edit, so even a programming illiterate like me can make maps and mods
  • (mostly)decent and dedicated community
  • Simple yet fun gameplay
  • Cathartic experience. Doom is the single greatest stress reliever on the planet.

I remember when I first started playing about 5 months ago, I would get soooo pissed off because there were no directions as to where to go. I was used to the coddling FPS like COD. I actually got lost in E1M1 and E1M2...dont judge me. Now, i now every map in Doom and Doom II

Because your computer is shitty , so you can only play Doom and Wolfstentein with it.

Because, I don't know where to spend my time,lol. Now,for serious answer, I just love creativity behind Doom and community. I met so amazing people around the world,thanks to this game. Also, Doom is like device tester - if that device runs Doom,it means it can do everything. 

24 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Because your computer is shitty , so you can only play Doom and Wolfstentein with it.

if you're thinking of my 1999 iBook, no, I use a modern(ish) computer. I played it on an iBook cuz I'm an old tech freak

18 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Also, Doom is like device tester - if that device runs Doom,it means it can do everything.

To be more precise, if your machine can run okuplok slaughter map, it can run everything.

For me, I think it's because it hasn't aged at all, despite the age it has (if that makes sense). I feel that other games like Blood, Descent or Half-Life are more of a product of their time, and if I play them nowadays I won't enjoy them as much, but with Doom on the other hand, it feels as good as new, not in the technology, but in its gameplay.

Another thing is its simplicity. It allows anyone with some skill to create maps as good as the originals, even some arguably better, but try to do the same with something like Half-Life 2. Not so easy, is it?

Doom 1, especially the good old episode 1 is iconic, no matter what. Even after 24 years (well, 23 years and a half technically), it's still refreshing to watch and play Hangar or Nuclear plant. Maybe it's the nostalgic feel of the map...idk

Edited by leodoom85

A) Playing some mapset or feeling the itch to replay the Iwads.

or

B) Ragequit from something like super meat boy or Darkest Dungeon.

• No paid DLC.
  • No preorder/day one DLC.
  • Not restricted to developer/publisher ran dedicated servers.
  • Dozens of source ports.
  • Tens of thousands of user created levels, not to mention utilities that can create randomly generated ones (IE OBLIGE)
  • Easy to mod.
  • Source code available.
  • Fun for both single and multiplayer.
  • Cheap. (5 USD on Steam)
Edited by Glaice

• Rip and tear
  • BFG
  • Nostalgia
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
  • Owning monsters in classic maps after been in a really hard map or going back from Nightmare! skill
  • Music

Because I can't afford new games.

5 hours ago, Glaice said:
  • No paid DLC.
  • No preorder/day one DLC.
  • Not restricted to developer/publisher ran dedicated servers.

Isn't it sad that you have to list some stuff that has been self-evident just 13 years ago, before Valve invented Steam?

To be honest the only classic Doom I play now are the new mapsets that people release here.

Doom is a good challenge. The combined elements of resource management, target prioritization, situational awareness, and projectile dodging make each level a unique puzzle to solve. And as some others have said, the "feel" of the game (music, sounds, weapon and death animations) make you feel like an unstoppable beast of a hell-raiser when you finally solve it! >:-)

9 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Isn't it sad that you have to list some stuff that has been self-evident just 13 years ago, before Valve invented Steam?

Yea, but I'm mainly speaking about those who constantly churn out DLC, like the game PAYDAY 2 or those Train Simulator Games.