Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

The soundtrack is almost too good for the game

1 hour ago, Ralphis said:

Doom isn't metal and it never was - it's blues. The majority of songs in the Doom soundtracks are blues.

If we're talking strictly about the guitar-based tracks I think it would be more accurate to say, metal riffs in 12 bar blues arrangements.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:41 PM, Flesh420 said:

I want something that makes me want to rape your mom and behead your family dog.

c30d222074678485f9b58402f94c60da.jpg

On 4/25/2017 at 9:18 PM, Tetzlaff said:

I highly disagree, an imitation of that juvenile 1990s metal cheese would turn Doom 16 into something really stupid.

Oh really? Imagine this with instruments. Doom 16 is already pretty stupid tbh, fist bumping marine dolls, edgy fatalities, opening demons like pinyadas with a chainsaw...

I like both the metal songs and synth songs in the original Doom because they were both ultimately grounded in classical music and were riff orientated, you definitely need variety in every game that takes longer than 8 hours to play... but what grated me was that whenever they "tried" to play metal in Doom 4 they mixed the worst elements of modern alternative music in to attract a younger audience in and created a diluted Frankenstein that doesn't pull any strings or do anything for me.

Edited by DeathevokatioN

Doom 16's OST could have been way worse. Imagine if they had gone with the kind of nu-metal cheese that Doom 3's theme is soaked in. Oh, and that "Brave Earth" piece is incredible. I really miss the strong songwriting of old game music.

5 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Imagine if they had gone with the kind of nu-metal cheese that Doom 3's theme is soaked in.

Well, technically the soundtrack is pretty much a straight evolution of Vrenna's DOOM³ theme.

18 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Doom isn't metal and it never was - it's blues. The majority of songs in the Doom soundtracks are blues.

Oldschool metal is strongly rooted in blues, so of course. Just look at early Black Sabbath, or so-called "proto metal" bands like Ironclaw.

1 hour ago, TAPETRVE said:

Well, technically the soundtrack is pretty much a straight evolution of Vrenna's DOOM³ theme.

i don't think that's true at all; i don't hear anything that stylistically resembles the Doom 3 theme at all in Doom 4's soundtrack (excluding the song that does pay homage to the Doom 3 theme).

Yeah, just because they're both syncopated and down-tuned doesn't mean they're particularly similar.

3 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

I legit think that doom would be more fun if you killed demons to jazz music

Doomguy loves that sweet Kenny G! Or better yet, we could have new age asian instrumental tracks with those flutes and pipe instruments. Or fuck it, lets do pop music only. Ariana Grande and shit is where it's at!

43 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

On 6/6/2017 at 0:12 PM, Doominator2 said:

Salsa is a good fallback though as proven time and time again by d_stalks

On 6/6/2017 at 5:53 AM, Cackledemon said:

Doom is metal in the sense that Led Zeppelin is metal.

I can't think of anything by Zeppelin as heavy as Deep into the Code, At Doom's Gate, Kitchen Ace (and taking names), The intermission music, E3M1, Donna to the Rescue, Facing the Spider, Bye Bye American Pie and a few others.

Two myths I wish would just die already: "Doom was all metal!" and "Doom wasn't metal!" - both demonstrably untrue. Doom was a mix of metal, rock, ambient and even classical at times, all in MIDI form. It's funny to still see this being debated after all this time when, if unsure, one simply has to refer to the soundtrack itself!

EDIT: lol I read page 1 then accidentally went straight to page 3, seems that this point was already discussed on page 2 but oh well

Edited by Doomkid

The meme that Doom had a predominantly metal OST seems to be why the new soundtrack is so metal-centric. I would have like more Aubrey Hodges-esque passages.

or it could be that the gameplay of Doom 4 was much more combat-focused and arena-centric than its predecessor, so it needed a driving soundtrack to go along with it. i guess it could've had more noticeable ambient loops when the combat died down, and especially when you're going to Hell, but i get the feeling those parts are so bare to dull out how backbreaking the rest of the game is, and that having ambient music during the intense moments would've been a very poor fit. not a perfect excuse, but an excuse nonetheless.

That makes sense. Both PSX Doom and Doom 64 had significantly smaller monster counts; rarely was there a horde in either game. They were also slower paced and this was much more conducive to a dark ambient score.

On 06/03/2017 at 1:19 PM, GoatLord said:

With all the weapon/enemy/environmental noises filling things out, Doom '16 is a pretty noisy game.

Incidentally, that is pretty much how I would describe Mick Gordon's score: noisy.

Id Software really should have gotten Bobby Prince and Andrew Hulshult to team up instead.

i don't think it's that noisy; at surface point, it seems pretty bland, but the songwriting is really damn good and memorable. it has a unique sound that fits the game perfectly. in contrast, Hulshult's IDKFA soundtrack is really mediocre and not nearly as strong as a whole. and Bobby Prince's music would not fit the game in the slightest.

On 4/10/2017 at 5:11 AM, MFG38 said:

I don't blame you for not liking the soundtrack, but "it's certainly not metal"? Then what genre do tracks like Rip & Tear and BFG Division represent? And you can fuck right off with that "I'm calling it dubstep although it clearly isn't that" shit too.

Idiot.

Doom 2016's soundtrack isn't metal. It's metal inspired, but in no way is it actual metal. 

On 8/21/2017 at 5:50 PM, Ajora said:

Doom 2016's soundtrack isn't metal. It's metal inspired, but in no way is it actual metal. 

That was posted April 10, sweetcheeks. I don't think he gives a shit anymore. ;] Also, you might wanna re-check the definition of metal, because the game's OST is a sub-genre of it.

Can't believe there are people who say Doom '16 doesn't have metal or Classic Doom's soundtrack was 100% metal, but that's Generation Z's shitty thought process in a nutshell.

5 hours ago, Doomguy #876 said:

That was posted April 10, sweetcheeks. I don't think he gives a shit anymore. ;] Also, you might wanna re-check the definition of metal, because the game's OST is a sub-genre of it.

Can't believe there are people who say Doom '16 doesn't have metal or Classic Doom's soundtrack was 100% metal, but that's Generation Z's shitty thought process in a nutshell.

I said it was metal inspired. It has elements of metal. But largely, it isn't metal. 

16 hours ago, Ajora said:

I said it was metal inspired. It has elements of metal. But largely, it isn't metal. 

Then what is it? When you hear BFG Division, what do you call it?

7 hours ago, Doomguy #876 said:

Then what is it? When you hear BFG Division, what do you call it?

I've heard some people call it industrial, others djent, others dubstep, and others some combination of the three. Even though there are elements of metal in the soundtrack, they're not prevalent enough to classify the soundtrack as metal. Razorfist ranted in his Doom 2016 video about how not using a metal soundtrack was a mistake. If any avid listener of metal heard the soundtrack, they wouldn't call it metal. 

Screw "avid listeners". There's an infinite amount of stuff out there that calls itself metal, and there's always someone who'd argue it is not.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:55 AM, TAPETRVE said:

Screw "avid listeners". There's an infinite amount of stuff out there that calls itself metal, and there's always someone who'd argue it is not.

Like it or not, avid listeners of metal are better qualified to determine what is and isn't metal than people who aren't. There are plenty of inerudite teenyboppers who consider garbage such as Slipknot, Attack Attack, and Whitechapel to be fine examples of metal, but couldn't for their lives identify seminal acts such as Mercyful Fate or Celtic Frost. 

Ironically some of those seminal acts would bash your face in with a brick for calling Slipknot garbage. That's why I said screw "avid listeners". You'd be surprised how many musicians in the extreme metal scene were e.g. sad over Chester Benningfield's death while their fans were jeering and hooting. And I say that as someone who can't fucking stand Linkin Park either and never got what the whole hoopla was all about.

Metal elitism is certainly...interesting. I can't think of another music scene with that hardcore of an attitude toward their genre. I used to get caught up in "true" versus "false" metal, as though there were some objective metric for determining which bands are authentic. At the end of the day no one really knows except the band themselves. Like I could go on and on about Metallica's phoniness, citing their tendency to pander to whatever is trendy in hard rock at any given time, but I could also argue that maybe they're just lousy musicians and genuinely enjoy playing garbage. And of course it's only garbage to me.