Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

How do I play other's WAD's?

Guest MIND

I'm new to editing and WAD's so spare me here, but how do you play the WAD's that other people have made?

Thanks.

You can play them by dragin the wad files and dropping them on the source port executable, or you can also use a launcher such as ZDL to manage all your wads and source ports

Guest MIND

Is there a video tutorial for this or something?

Guest MIND

Nevermind. I got it.

Guest MIND

I just dragged it.

You can also get this organizer thing called ZDL.

I don't like it, but some people swear by it.

I just create batch files with the command line parameters when I'll be loading a certain WAD or set of WADs. Otherwise, I tend to use the command line. I used to use ZDL on the regular years ago, but I don't really find it as useful as the way I do things now.

Dragging and dropping is just lame, you still have to specify the IWAD (unless you disabled that menu from showing up), and you can't directly control the order that multiple files are loaded in AFAIK.

1 minute ago, Blastfrog said:

Dragging and dropping is just lame, [...] you can't directly control the order that multiple files are loaded in AFAIK.

You can. Don't remember the exact algorithm, but it's related to the order that you ctrl+click on files. For shift+click, it's something incredibly unintuitive and made the easiest way for a programmer to code it though.

Then of course some program by a big enough company started to depend on that weird shift+click behaviour and they never were able to change it to something sane.

With Zandronum you literally just select multiple wads by holding ctrl, copy them, then paste them on the exe. Loading any combos of wads, deh files, pk3s etc is a total cinch.

With Zandronum, I use DoomSeeker to start games, either single-player or a server.