Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
diosoth

visible dots on seams in GZDoom, settings help

http://i.imgur.com/0eL0HNZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/VvNa5uw.png

This isn't a bug in GZDoom, it's a settings issue, I've had this problem with every version when first running it. Usually I've been able to tinker with settings until it goes away, this time however I can't seem to recall what I did to fix it. It affects texture seams, usually on corners or on the edge of the tile, though ti also affects edges of transparent sprites such as these window bars. It occurs no matter what level I'm playing, default or user WAD.

This is gzdoom-x64-g3.2pre-64-g2ff492d, the newest DRD Team build. Last version I was using is g1.8.09-78-g1db064b. I would just copy the settings file over but I suspect it may not play nice due to the gap in versions- which I skipped on updating until it became necessary, far too many currently-released level sets and such don't work in that older release.

This can normally be remedied by going to the OpenGL options menu and set "Rendering Quality" to "Quality".

You should also be able to use that old INI. A few sound related settings will be gone due to the change from FModEx to OpenAL but most old options will still be the same.

You'll have to review the OpenGL settings, though, because this section has seen some quite extensive additions.

I know this is GPU dependant, but, on something like a Geforce 8600, what would be the Performance impact from setting the "Rendering Quality" option to "Quality"?

That cannot be answered easily. It's between 'close to nothng' and 'a few FPS less'. That depends on how often the CPU stalls because it needs to wait for the GPU to complete some work. On really old hardware it was quite significant, though.

Quality seems to have fixed most level sets, though the change didn't seem to happen live, it took restarting. That one level set I took the screencaps from is still an issue though, but it could be the textures in that specific mod.

I will try the old INI, I'll just rename the new one before I copy over in case things go wrong and I need to change back.